Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Burb vs. excursion, Gas, 4x4, buy which one? >

Burb vs. excursion, Gas, 4x4, buy which one?

Notices

Burb vs. excursion, Gas, 4x4, buy which one?

Old 11-28-2012, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by riverrat
V10 weak ?? LOL you must have had a tired or sick unit .
all the V-10s i've owned were pulling machines, so much power even peeled the trailer hitch off the frame pulling a loaded trailer out of the mud.
Jeff A.
I have to agree that the V10 does feel weak next to an 8.1l, or even a GM 6.0l gasser! The 5.4l ford is a JOKE!

Keep in mind the Ex is on a super duty chassis, and has more room than any GM product, hands down. Also the Ford product will have less issues with little things like window regs, dashes, electronics, etc. However, the gas engines are terrible! And the V10 is known for blowing spark plugs out of the heads.

The GM trucks will win the gas powerpant race, however they do not offer a diesel powerplant in an SUV. If you are staying gas I would pick the GM. If this discussion was for a diesel vs Gm gas it would be the Ford hands down

Driveline. popularity, resale = GM
Chassis, quality = Ford
Old 11-28-2012, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Why arent you considering the Diesel Excursion? Such a great package.

They can be had for $10K - buy the conversion kit to vegetable oil and run it for free.
Where??
For $10K you`re gonna get a piece of junk, I payed double that for my 02 7.3l with 100K miles and that was the best deal around.
People are hanging on to the Diesel Ex. I dont ever plan on getting rid of mine...
That being said the two solid axles suck as far as ride quality, I`d go with the burb if its between gassers.

Running vegetable oil isn`t as easy as it sounds unless you got some time on your hands
Old 11-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Given you have 2 other GM's, I would stay GM from a parts and familarity standpoint. I dont think tow rating is significantly different and do fear the Ford v10 spark plug issues.

My suggestion would be to look at a GM 2500 or 3500 TRUCK instead of another suburban.
It is not going to be regularly used and will give extra cargo flexibility with an open bed that another suburban can not offer.
Plus when you find that smok'n deal on a 5th wheel camper, drop in a hitch and you have a new lake mansion

I had a suburban and changed to a CC w/ cab high topper, so much better!
For an infrequent use, I would stick with gas. Love the Duramax power but it comes at a price and extra maintance headaches.

Last edited by ChargeIt; 11-28-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Befu- Get the Burb. The Ford V10 is a PIG IMHO. These engines have issues with exhaust manifolds cracking and bolts breaking. The GM 8.1 is a great engine and a Hypertech tuner gives it more oomph and about 0.5 mpg better.

If you can find a Diesel Excursion I would consider it... but they are rare.

Wannabe
Old 11-28-2012, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by riverrat
I'm going to call B/S , so you dumped your Ford dealership bcuz of engine failures ..OK could'nt been the Economy
Jeff A.
Dumped Ford years ago, way before the economy tanked. Were losing tons of money every month due to warranty issues with Ford and at least 1 truck a month with a blown up engine/trans. Not my dealership, my brother-in-laws. Chevy, Nissan, BMW. He has horror stories about the Fords. The 7.3 Diesel is another story tho. They should've stuck with that as it was bullet proof.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Putting an offer in on the burb.

No pickups, need a backup vehicle for the other 3/4 ton 8.1L burb we have and with a minimum of 5 kids, no picup will work. (Foster parents also, have 9 kids total right now) No 5th wheel in my future.

Added a 4th row seat to our other two suburbans, so they seat 11 and 12 each. yeah, we get some looks unloading.

Would love a diesel excursion, but can't touch one within $10k of the 8.1L burb.

Thanks all, new I could count on real world answers here.

Brian
Old 11-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just bought the Burb with 62,200 miles for $14,800.

So now I own two 2004 2500 Suburbans with the 8.1L engine. both white, 9 passenger seating, grey cloth interior, damn near twins except my current one has about 134k miles on it. basic trucks that are comfortable and pull great. NO ONE makes a good 9 passenger 4 wd diesel tow vehicle. Sure you can do custom, but you can't find one for what I have in both of these trucks now.

Well, everyone says twins is better! Now I have twin tow vehicles to pull my twin SBC powered boat!

Thanks all, Brian
Old 11-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Registered

First of all, it's awesome that you take on the responsibility of foster parents to help out the kids. We have three kids and I think it's stressful at times traveling with four if one brings a friend. I couldn't imagine what it's like to travel with up to 9 kids. We also have a Suburban and they are great for traveling. Our's has second row buckets which we love because the kids can get to the second row without flipping up the second row. Good luck with the new Burb.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MonkeySea2
Dumped Ford years ago, way before the economy tanked. Were losing tons of money every month due to warranty issues with Ford and at least 1 truck a month with a blown up engine/trans. Not my dealership, my brother-in-laws. Chevy, Nissan, BMW. He has horror stories about the Fords. The 7.3 Diesel is another story tho. They should've stuck with that as it was bullet proof.
That's seems surprising. Some of the oldest dealers in the St. Louis area are Ford dealers. I have had a total of four Ford trucks (Explorers or F150) in the last 12 years and they have been great.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:17 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Just bought the Burb with 62,200 miles for $14,800.

So now I own two 2004 2500 Suburbans with the 8.1L engine. both white, 9 passenger seating, grey cloth interior, damn near twins except my current one has about 134k miles on it. basic trucks that are comfortable and pull great. NO ONE makes a good 9 passenger 4 wd diesel tow vehicle. Sure you can do custom, but you can't find one for what I have in both of these trucks now.

Well, everyone says twins is better! Now I have twin tow vehicles to pull my twin SBC powered boat!

Thanks all, Brian
Good choice, I pull my Chris Cat 11,000 lbs with my 2500 Avalnche-same as the Suburban- with the 8.1 and handles it fine.

Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.