Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
GM EXPERTS need some 5.3 LC9 engine interchange info >

GM EXPERTS need some 5.3 LC9 engine interchange info

Notices

GM EXPERTS need some 5.3 LC9 engine interchange info

Old 03-29-2013, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by 88bullet
i work at a gm dealership.... call gm customer service and blow your stack. you might have to pay a couple hundred for a deductible but they should cover it. go above the heads of the dealership. start a claim with gm stating your case of your motor repair history and you have had problems in the past. then Gm will call the dealership and they should good will it
+1 RT,,if coolent got in the oil when the head gasket went it most likely washed the bearings and this is the culpret to why it lost oil pressure..
Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by FIXX
+1 RT,,if coolent got in the oil when the head gasket went it most likely washed the bearings and this is the culpret to why it lost oil pressure..
ps make sure if its FWD the engine you get is from a FWD vehicle also..i think the front drive axle goes through the oil pan..or i may be thinking of the trail blazer SS.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:35 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FIXX
ps make sure if its FWD the engine you get is from a FWD vehicle also..i think the front drive axle goes through the oil pan..or i may be thinking of the trail blazer SS.
the only difference in the motors is the displacement on demand in the 5.3's and E85 or not. all pans and accessories are the same. gm crate motors do not come with an oil level sensor hole in the pan thats about it
Old 03-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Axle through the oil pan is Trailblazer. As far as replacement, the dealer will not cooperate, but google the GM warranty escalation procedure, you should be able to track down the phone numbers or E-mail addresses of higher ups who will listen if you complain loud enough. If your Client is a multiple GM vehicle owner it should help.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 PM
Registered

the 08 and up 5.3 long blocks are the same. You're looking for a GEN IV engine

The came with VVT or DOD . . . meaning it would go into 4 cylinder mode, these lifters are known for failing and wiping out a perfectly good engine
Old 03-29-2013, 11:40 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 88bullet
the only difference in the motors is the displacement on demand in the 5.3's and E85 or not. all pans and accessories are the same. gm crate motors do not come with an oil level sensor hole in the pan thats about it
So since this motor is displacement on demand and flex fuel, a 2010 with same features should be a direct fit, right?

Originally Posted by Bowtiepower00
Axle through the oil pan is Trailblazer. As far as replacement, the dealer will not cooperate, but google the GM warranty escalation procedure, you should be able to track down the phone numbers or E-mail addresses of higher ups who will listen if you complain loud enough. If your Client is a multiple GM vehicle owner it should help.
He claims he exhausted all options, I think more than anything he just wants it fixed quickly not tied up for a long time. The money is not the big issue, it's the loss of a vehicle. It's his wife's ride and she loves it.

Originally Posted by TooTall
the 08 and up 5.3 long blocks are the same. You're looking for a GEN IV engine

The came with VVT or DOD . . . meaning it would go into 4 cylinder mode, these lifters are known for failing and wiping out a perfectly good engine
Sounds like this might be the case, it has lifter noise and a dead miss. I have done zero diagnostic on it, but it came in on the hook and when I moved it inside the oil pressure dropped off to less than 10 psi in a matter of a minute. It's obviously sent metal all over.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
So since this motor is displacement on demand and flex fuel, a 2010 with same features should be a direct fit, right?

He claims he exhausted all options, I think more than anything he just wants it fixed quickly not tied up for a long time. The money is not the big issue, it's the loss of a vehicle. It's his wife's ride and she loves it.

Sounds like this might be the case, it has lifter noise and a dead miss. I have done zero diagnostic on it, but it came in on the hook and when I moved it inside the oil pressure dropped off to less than 10 psi in a matter of a minute. It's obviously sent metal all over.

Thanks for all the help guys.
i would check the screen under the oil pressure sensor in the back of the VLOM. lots of oil pressure readings false due to that screen being plugged with debris. dead miss is prob just a lifter collapsed.
i think i have a complete cam, lifters, gaskets laying around for that truck if you feel like looking into it vs tossing a motor at it. GM customer service!!! 1-800-222-1020 call and tell them you own a fleet of gm vehicles for your business and the dealer obviously misdiagnosed the problem cus its still doing the same thing but now your out of warranty by milage but still in by time
Old 03-30-2013, 01:31 PM
Registered

",those 5.3 engines have a bad habbit of eating oil and gm is aware of it..."

Anyone have any more information on this?

I have a 07 Yukon w- a 5.3L (98K miles) that is starting to use some oil.

Thx-
Old 03-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Registered

Well, after a quick google search about this problem.....I think I better get to my dealer this week for a talk.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

RT- I think you can get a reman Long block from GM and will have a warranty.

X-Driver- The AFM- active fuel manangment or DOD as it is also known had issued with oil being splashed inside that a baffle was added later. Its the rear cylinders - check your plugs if they are oil fouled get it fixed. This is a known issue that GM may do a secret warranty on- they may offer to split the cost with you if it is an issue. ALL the automakers do this including the NOT infallible Toyota.

Wannabe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.