Notices

What size truck will be needed?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
Well Nate, if High and dry is an option, really look hard at the numbers. It just may not be worth the cost of a diesel boat-pulling truck. It is amazing what they really cost to buy and own, and the truck may be the most expensive get-the-boat-to-the-water option you have. That being said, I just can't stand the thought of not being able to pull my boat across the country if I want to, so I own one even though it is kind of foolish.

Another point: I can drive to my lake condo from my house in 2.5 hours. But it takes 5 hours if I have to stop and hook up the boat from storage, "pre flight" the trailer, tow it at reasonable speeds, launch it, park the trailer, etc., and boat to the condo from the ramp. You may find that rack storing your boat makes boating more fun and actually gives you more time and fewer tensions with the wife.

I am not a big fan of high and dry for the exact reason you stated (being able to pull it where and when i want too). Also have many friends who's tabs have been busted by all the major marinas here and it's a "sorry but we don't pay for that" deal every time.

I am more of a fan of having my boat on my property as well. Just I am sure getting a new home (our first one too) will be a hassel all in it's self so a 6month high and dry might help but I really don't want to foot the bill month on month for years.

Last edited by Nate5.0; 04-24-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
Well Nate, if High and dry is an option, really look hard at the numbers. It just may not be worth the cost of a diesel boat-pulling truck. It is amazing what they really cost to buy and own, and the truck may be the most expensive get-the-boat-to-the-water option you have. That being said, I just can't stand the thought of not being able to pull my boat across the country if I want to, so I own one even though it is kind of foolish.

Another point: I can drive to my lake condo from my house in 2.5 hours. But it takes 5 hours if I have to stop and hook up the boat from storage, "pre flight" the trailer, tow it at reasonable speeds, launch it, park the trailer, etc., and boat to the condo from the ramp. You may find that rack storing your boat makes boating more fun and actually gives you more time and fewer tensions with the wife.

good point on the weighing the cost, and what you actually do with it. My diesel was costing me an extra 50-60 bucks a week extra than what I do now on a normal work week. Times that by 52 weeks you can start seeing the money burn up and that is just fuel. Me personally I dont see the need to drive across country thats just me. If I did then I would be in a dually.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:27 PM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by soldier4402
good point on the weighing the cost, and what you actually do with it. My diesel was costing me an extra 50-60 bucks a week extra than what I do now on a normal work week. Times that by 52 weeks you can start seeing the money burn up and that is just fuel. Me personally I dont see the need to drive across country thats just me. If I did then I would be in a dually.

Well my Current Escalade gets about 13/15 mpg so it's not a gas saver. My other prior cars was a daily driven blown and cammed mustang....so I am use to hanging out at the gas pump lol.
Old 04-24-2013, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
Well my Current Escalade gets about 13/15 mpg so it's not a gas saver. My other prior cars was a daily driven blown and cammed mustang....so I am use to hanging out at the gas pump lol.
crappy thing is these days, is even if your gasser gets the same MPG as a diesel, your still paying 30-50 cents more per gallon for diesel. Plus $110 oil changes and everything else. Love the old diesel, but in these time it didnt make much sense anymore for what I was doing.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have a 29 ft baja outlaw and i use to pull it with the wife's 2009 escalade, it pulled it pretty good plenty of pulling power. Know i pull it with a 2011 toyota tundra crewmax 4x4 with the 5.7 and it will pull the **** out of it.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nate5.0
The time is getting closer to purchase and I plan on buying the tow rig first.

Currectly have and Escalade EXT but I know that wont cut the bill so it is going out the doors.

Boats we are looking at seriously looking at

* 29 Formula Fastech

* 33 Donzi ZX

And we are looing at but really not sure of

* 35 Cafe racer

* 31 Bullett.

Now I know the Cigs are heavy boats and a 2500 series is a MUST. But what about the other two?

Ideal I would like a GMC 1500 Denali but I am not sure the 1500 will cut the job much better than my current truck. I like the 2500 series but to be honest they are hard to find one I like, that is loaded up the way i like, and in my budget area.

I like the King Ranch F250 but it is a LOT of truck and BIG. This is my daily truck too and I work a suit and tie type job.

Just looking for ideas mainly from people who have first hand know how when it comes to boats of this size. Our current is a small CC so the Cadi does a fine job right now.
Anything with an inline 6 cylinder diesel....
Old 04-24-2013, 06:51 PM
Registered

Nate,

I have the Formula 292 (for sale if interested), and I use a loaded '08 2500 LTZ Duramax to pull it. It has a 6" lift. No mechanical mods, it is loved by everyone! It is by far the best way to go. This set-up when I had it registered was just shy of 12k lbs. I have pulled this boat all over TX and OK. If you don't mind driving, you can pick these trucks up in TX all day long, many have never been (ab)used a day in their life. $40k should cover your needs w/o a problem. Look in Central Texas, we love big trucks that don't get used much. Good luck!