Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Towing limits (yeah, I read the sticky) >

Towing limits (yeah, I read the sticky)

Notices

Towing limits (yeah, I read the sticky)

Old 05-10-2013, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

even a buddy with a decent 4wd half ton should do the trick if its just a few miles .
Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is no one else concerned that the boat is 10'2" wide? Stopping power on that Jap truck is no where near enough for a panic stop even at 35mph. Is this where we encourage saving a few bucks? It just doesn't seem like for the trouble and savings that it's worth taking the risks. It's not the 1000 times you can get away with it, it's the one time you don't. How much is just the fine for over width on the hwy and will your insurance co cover any mishap? Someone has to be the voice of reason I guess.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:26 PM
Registered

I was being facetious with my original answer. Moving the boat around your yard/shop you would probably be fine, but I don't think your truck will last too long pulling 12K up a ramp, which once you add a trailer you will be closer to 13K total weight. Or backing it down for that matter. I would guess you will be a good candidate for swim testing the truck.

If you do decide to do it, have your wife run the camera so we can see what happens.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by c_deezy
I was being facetious with my original answer. Moving the boat around your yard/shop you would probably be fine, but I don't think your truck will last too long pulling 12K up a ramp, which once you add a trailer you will be closer to 13K total weight. Or backing it down for that matter. I would guess you will be a good candidate for swim testing the truck.

If you do decide to do it, have your wife run the camera so we can see what happens.
Water does not effect Tacomas....just sayin...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCe-1LYj_4o[/YOUTUBE]
Old 05-10-2013, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you are more than twice the towing capacity. Depending on axles you're anywhere from 4300# to 6600# towing capacity.

Dangerous idea in my opinion.. Moving it around on your own property, ya I'd risk it.. Haulin it down the road with other cars around, nope..
Old 05-10-2013, 06:12 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Even I say NO WAY!

Tacoma....I wouldn't even use a Tundra!

OP...it's not worth your time or money to buy a trailer and a truck to save a couple hundred bucks on labor. Pay a professional to maintain your boat and have more free time to enjoy it!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Even I say NO WAY!

Tacoma....I wouldn't even use a Tundra!

OP...it's not worth your time or money to buy a trailer and a truck to save a couple hundred bucks on labor. Pay a professional to maintain your boat and have more free time to enjoy it!
Maybe if he bought one of those DUALLY conversion kits for his Tacoma he would be MUCH safer than a SRW??
Attached Thumbnails Towing limits (yeah, I read the sticky)-td1.jpg  
Old 05-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Maybe if he bought one of those DUALLY conversion kits for his Tacoma he would be MUCH safer than a SRW??
LMFAO
Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

On a serious note, theres no way I would tow that boat anywhere but around the farm with a Tacoma. All these new 1/2 ton and smaller trucks have INFLATED tow ratings to begin with,I would like to see the Tacoma yanking my 272 Baja and trailer in TRAFFIC ,pulling grades,, going down mountains etc, it weighs about what the Tacoma rating is, my 95 chevy dually one ton was rated to tow 3500 lbs LESS than a ford 1/2 ton ecoboost or a chevy 1/2 ton to put it in perspective, gimme a break, Smitty
Old 05-11-2013, 08:42 AM
Never Enough
Platinum Member

Just get rid of that jap truck and buy American muscle , and never have to ask these silly questions again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.