Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Need An Aluminum Trailer, Any Suggestions? >

Need An Aluminum Trailer, Any Suggestions?

Notices

Need An Aluminum Trailer, Any Suggestions?

Old 09-14-2013, 08:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 35 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by T-RAV
McClain builds a decent trailer, they are right here in Houston, and have decent customer service.
Second this, very happy with their customer service.

TW720HVY - Twin 720 Heavy, pilot?

Last edited by 97FASTech; 09-14-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:14 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

crb76 had McClain build a welded aluminum trailer for his 37AT. They suspended the boat and built the trailer right under it to match.

Initially, it was a great trailer.
However, they built the bow stand wrong, and it actually scrubbed the keel once when using a ramp that was real shallow.
And the bunk structure was not as well designed as it could have been albeit they had some innovative features. (Teflon "ramps" to help the step-bottom boat slide off the trailer better backwards)
I don't know what axles they used...

...but compared to a Myco or a Manning... the McClain did not hold a candle to quality of Myco or Manning. Over time, It just has not held up as well as the latter. I've had a couple welds fixed on my Myco, and so have others. But the McClain in question here had to have several significant structural reinforcements.

I used to have a McClain aluminum bolt-together I-beam trailer. It was above average for a trailer of that type. Very well designed; and they actually curved the I-beams vs. cutting and bending them inward to meet for the tongue of the trailer.

The painted aluminum trailers from Myco and Manning look slicker than frog-snot! They are sweet.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 09-15-2013 at 01:07 AM.
Old 09-14-2013, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sydwayz, thanks for post and information.

T-Rav, that is what I am afraid of and thinking I might have a better chance of selling it up here.

Thanks again for the help and information.

Originally Posted by 97FASTech
Second this, very happy with their customer service.

TW720HVY - Twin 720 Heavy, pilot?
Close... TW was our flight plan identifier for TWA, 720 was our flight number for St. Louis to London and HVY was for the 767 which had a takeoff weight greater than 255,000LBS. That was my past life and a wonderful memory.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 AM
Registered

Well, I called Myco and was told they don't build trailers for boats under 30' anymore. Never thought 4' would have been that big of a deal.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
crb76 had McClain build a welded aluminum trailer for his 37AT. They suspended the boat and built the trailer right under it to match.

Initially, it was a great trailer.
However, they built the bow stand wrong, and it actually scrubbed the keel once when using a ramp that was real shallow.
And the bunk structure was not as well designed as it could have been albeit they had some innovative features. (Teflon "ramps" to help the step-bottom boat slide off the trailer better backwards)
I don't know what axles they used...

...but compared to a Myco or a Manning... the McClain did not hold a candle to quality of Myco or Manning. Over time, It just has not held up as well as the latter. I've had a couple welds fixed on my Myco, and so have others. But the McClain in question here had to have several significant structural reinforcements.

I used to have a McClain aluminum bolt-together I-beam trailer. It was above average for a trailer of that type. Very well designed; and they actually curved the I-beams vs. cutting and bending them inward to meet for the tongue of the trailer.

The painted aluminum trailers from Myco and Manning look slicker than frog-snot! They are sweet.
My HITECH is the same way with the beams bent. I am happy with it overall they use the ****ty style bumpstop so I upgraded that, but the bunks are ripped lengthwise at an angle and the strakes fit perfectly on the bunks. They called CIG and got the bottom dimensions they told me. I paid for several upgrades on it such as extended bunks but overall I had less than 8 k in it delivered to my door with torsion axles, LED lights and disc brakes on all 3 axles.

I also explored Manning because that was what I had when I bought the boat but I could never get them to call me back!!!
Old 09-25-2013, 06:44 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by seafordguy
My HITECH is the same way with the beams bent. I am happy with it overall they use the ****ty style bumpstop so I upgraded that, but the bunks are ripped lengthwise at an angle and the strakes fit perfectly on the bunks. They called CIG and got the bottom dimensions they told me. I paid for several upgrades on it such as extended bunks but overall I had less than 8 k in it delivered to my door with torsion axles, LED lights and disc brakes on all 3 axles.

I also explored Manning because that was what I had when I bought the boat but I could never get them to call me back!!!
Was just wondering when you got a hold of Manning and what boat you were looking to get a trailer for. I work for Manning and was just curious. Want to figure what happened and make sure stuff like that dont happen in the future. Thanks.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by purplesaurus95
Was just wondering when you got a hold of Manning and what boat you were looking to get a trailer for. I work for Manning and was just curious. Want to figure what happened and make sure stuff like that dont happen in the future. Thanks.
It was about 5 years ago. I had a steel manning but wanted to have an aluminum manning built for my CIG. I left a couple messages but never got a return call. To be fair I think it was before the economic bust so you guys were probably going gangbusters at that point.

No big deal. I'd still call you again if I ever needed another trailer built.
Old 10-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

http://www.texallaluminum.com

A lot of the fishing guys on 2coolfishing say this guy builds a good trailer. Anyone know about the. For performance boats, he quoted me 4800 for trip/12k trailer. Might be one to check out Tw.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a triple axle Venture for my 29' Fountain. I have had zero problems.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:36 PM
Registered

Ace Trailers. Just bought a new one and buy far the most bang for the buck. 38', triple axel, Torsional axel, electric over hyd brakes on all axels, LED lights, dual jacks, spare tire mounted on spare hub (nice idea), storage box, goodyear tires E rated, 18,000. $7900 new.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.