Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2004.5 SRW 2500hd LLY Duramax limitations >

2004.5 SRW 2500hd LLY Duramax limitations

Notices

2004.5 SRW 2500hd LLY Duramax limitations

Old 01-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004.5 SRW 2500hd LLY Duramax limitations

I was wondering how large of boat is still safe to tow with the older duramax trucks. There will be a boat upgrade in about 4 years. I would like to end up in the 32-38' range. The sonic 35, formula 357, and cig cafe/mistress are among my favorites. Are these too big for my current truck?
Old 01-19-2014, 10:34 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Ought to be fine with a proper trailer and setup.
Buy the longest truck that will work for you. CC and LB adds length which definitely increases towing stability.

The factory hitch is absolute junk. Mandatory upgrade.

Also, the factory 6.5" wide wheels and donut tires are junk for towing, yet great in the snow.
It's worth investment in wider wheels/tires when it comes to towing stability; when the time comes. There are plenty of threads on this.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 885 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Fischan
I was wondering how large of boat is still safe to tow with the older duramax trucks. There will be a boat upgrade in about 4 years. I would like to end up in the 32-38' range. The sonic 35, formula 357, and cig cafe/mistress are among my favorites. Are these too big for my current truck?
I towed a 38 TS/TG once on a steel trailer (for a 42 Tiger) and thought that was heavy for the truck. It was a 70 mile tow for a buddy with no truck/trailer and we borrowed the trailer from the dealership. I also think the brakes didn't work on the trailer because it felt real heavy trying to stop.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Registered

Thanks! It is an ecsb. I already own it so it's nice to know it is capable.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe the tow rating is 13,000 or 13,500.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Your truck will tow good as long as its in good mechanical condition with no lose parts. But 4 years from now it might be pretty warn out.......

Upgrade the factory receiver hitch

Yes wheels and tires rated to carry more weight help like the Nitto Duragrapplers.

Make sure the trailer is above average. Having a truck that's overkill and a pile for a trailer is no safer. Its amazing how so many trailers are underbuilt out there.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Your truck will tow good as long as its in good mechanical condition with no lose parts. But 4 years from now it might be pretty warn out.......

Upgrade the factory receiver hitch

Yes wheels and tires rated to carry more weight help like the Nitto Duragrapplers.

Make sure the trailer is above average. Having a truck that's overkill and a pile for a trailer is no safer. Its amazing how so many trailers are underbuilt out there.
Maintenance and overkill seem to be a couple of my notorious quirks. In a previous life i was a state certified welder/fabricator, now a journeyman industrial electrician. When i was into riding dirtbikes my friends could't understand why i power washed and pulled moving parts apart to re grease after most rides. After that phase i got into jeeps. The last one i built was a 79 cj7 with 1-ton running gear that looked better and out wheeled most people our group. Now that im into boats everything from the past spills over. Things just cost more in this sport so i like having all my ducks in a row sooner. Lol

Is there a specific hitch that comes to mind?

Thanks for all the replies!

Last edited by Fischan; 01-19-2014 at 03:59 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:02 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

No problem..
I had an 04.5 2500 X Cab Long bed 4x4… I pulled more than 15000 with it many times… 46 Cig on steel trailer, 39 Top Fish w quads….
Yes, the dually would be better… Good trailer brakes are important. Air bags would have been nice if I was going to pull regularly with it.
I sold that truck 2 years ago and wish I hadn't.
954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 01-22-2014, 08:49 PM
Registered

I tow 15-16k with my 05, bumper pull, almost every week. No problems, and once i'm on the highway cruise control gets set at 70