Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2015 Chevy 3500 srw or drw for towing 38 >

2015 Chevy 3500 srw or drw for towing 38

Notices

2015 Chevy 3500 srw or drw for towing 38

Old 06-03-2014, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes, duallys are cool. Nuff said!
Old 06-03-2014, 10:54 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
A nice tight new 2015 SRW will easily and safely tow a 382. You can always upgrade to a higher load rated tire that is designed for towing/hauling and or install air bags. Yes a longer wheelbase is better.

What a lot of people forget is it doesn't matter how BIG your truck is if your trailer sucks. And MOST trailers are built poorly. The trailer is designed to handle the weight of the boat, control the load, and stop the boat. No different in a semi. Don't bs me about if you lose brakes. IF a semi looses trailer brakes the tractor is not going to stop the rig either.

Buy a SRW truck and spend the money savings upgrading the trailer. EOH brakes, good wheels, HD tires, proper axles, suspension, etc. Plus set up the truck and trailer properly.

Even more important is the driver behind the wheel!

DRW are designed for more weight carrying capacity in the bed of the truck, like a slide in truck camper. Tag boats DO NOT have enough tongue weight to require a DRW.

IF any of you are SOOO into a DRW truck then please go out and buy a tandem DRW boat Trailer. Right????? DRW are SOOOO much safer. LOL!

In all honesty the SAFEST way to tow is with a Fifth wheel or Gooseneck, tag is a JOKE after hauling with one of those.

Sydwayz, lets double team all these guys and recommend Fifth wheel and Gooseneck for Everyone from now on!

No, DRW is most stable due to the extra tires on the road not being able to drag the back of the truck around as easily,,,, not to mention the tires tend to be a smaller sidewall

Last edited by obnoxus; 06-03-2014 at 10:57 AM.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Brand New 2015 HD 2500 LTZ with 6.6 Duramax priced at $ 56.600 at Williams Chevy in TC....

Wow are they really nice looking.

Pricing is not as bad as I thought.

Wannabe
Old 06-03-2014, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by obnoxus
No, DRW is most stable due to the extra tires on the road not being able to drag the back of the truck around as easily,,,, not to mention the tires tend to be a smaller sidewall
Exactly! Its called physics. Offshore you want me to explain how contact with the road with 4 tires is better than 2? You want me to explain how much more stable a wider stance is? This is kindergarden 101 buddy.
Put your legs together and have someone try to push you over.. easy.. put your legs in a wide stance and have them try again.. umm not as easy.. common man why are you so dead set against Duallies?

A dually will handle any towing Job significantly better.
I wouldn`t have believed it if I didn`t see it for myself.

I almost lost my boat from sway using a short wheelbased SRW (all over the road I mean 3 lanes at once with the trailer tires screeching!) that same day... 10 minutes later, I hooked up a $4K old ass 1990 something dually and it towed about 1000000x better with ZERO sway.
REAL WORLD experience.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:36 PM
Registered

Received 324 Likes on 126 Posts

Being a DRW guy for the last 30+ years, I have an opinion... Yup, thats it!
Old 06-03-2014, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4 tires equals half the weight holding you on twice the surface area, so what
tung weight % will change you're ride quicker than anything .
When I'm hauling bins of fruit if you load wrong its a scary azz trip to the shed!
Old 06-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe he was asking what he needs? as far as needing a drw truck, the answer is no. you will be just fine with a srw twd truck to get the job done. if money isn't an object them by all means go buy a 15 denali drw and leave it hooked to the truck and only use it to tow. BUT, if that isn't the case, then buy what fits your daily driving habits. twd, drw, srw, diesel or gas, they will all get the job done without a problem safely. go buy whatever excites you
Old 06-03-2014, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 1,328 Likes on 741 Posts

Does a DRW really cost that much more then a LWB 1 ton SRW? When I was looking a few years ago at 1-2 year old trucks it seemed the 3/4 SWB single rear wheels were more.

And maybe it's me but I like the look of a long bed SRW better then short bed.

Last thing, for the life of me I don't understand why bigger boat trailers are tag, that has to be the worst way to tow. Ever notice horse trailers and bigger campers are always 5th wheel.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it would be hard to ramp a 5th wheel trailer.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:07 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix

Last thing, for the life of me I don't understand why bigger boat trailers are tag, that has to be the worst way to tow. Ever notice horse trailers and bigger campers are always 5th wheel.
Agreed...... I wish I'd have ordered a gooseneck at the time but just wasn't thinking....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.