Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Getting a  Chev 2015 HD 2500 Duramax >

Getting a Chev 2015 HD 2500 Duramax

Notices

Getting a Chev 2015 HD 2500 Duramax

Old 11-18-2014, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wannabe, heres a link discussing whats needed to put HID's in a new truck like yours.

Just a HID kit, power harness and a pair of error code eliminators. You can buy them where they are directly plug and plug inline with the wire harnesses.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topi...ctor-retrofit/

Had to use the error eliminators when I put HID's is my parents '12 SRX.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TooLateVTEC
Sort of. You can put HID's in a regular halogen housing but the projector style is what they are really intended for.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

That pic shows the bulbs on the right and the ballast on the left that you will need to mount/zip tie/2 sided tape to the vehicle near the headlight. Its also a good idea to get a 12v power harness that has its own relay and fuse with wires that get run directly to the battery and it wires into the ballast so the truck still tells the lights to come on. Everything is plug and play aside from maybe needing to change the connections where you wire it to the battery.

HID's put out about twice the lumens as a halogen bulb of the same style/size. They run on less power while on, but need a little bit more to initially fire off.

wannabe, if your lows stay on with the high beams I would seriously do some research on adding HID's to the lows, it will be a night and day difference.
Do you know if these can be run as strobes. I want to put strobe lights in my running lights to thwart idiots from hitting me while I'm snow plowing, or at least let them know why they just got hit by a snow plow
Old 11-18-2014, 08:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Drew555
Do you know if these can be run as strobes. I want to put strobe lights in my running lights to thwart idiots from hitting me while I'm snow plowing, or at least let them know why they just got hit by a snow plow
LOL, no I dont think they would work as strobes. HID's need 3-5 seconds to fully heat up to produce its light. So im not sure how good they would work going on and off.

You can get some strobes from most parts store in the ricer section that are pretty bright though.

You could put HID's in the running lights to blind them (in they're in a halogen housing) and add the strobes for effect !
Old 11-18-2014, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sort of. You can put HID's in a regular halogen housing but the projector style is what they are really intended for.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DD...ast-35W-or-55W

That pic shows the bulbs on the right and the ballast on the left that you will need to mount/zip tie/2 sided tape to the vehicle near the headlight. Its also a good idea to get a 12v power harness that has its own relay and fuse with wires that get run directly to the battery and it wires into the ballast so the truck still tells the lights to come on. Everything is plug and play aside from maybe needing to change the connections where you wire it to the battery.

HID's put out about twice the lumens as a halogen bulb of the same style/size. They run on less power while on, but need a little bit more to initially fire off.

wannabe, if your lows stay on with the high beams I would seriously do some research on adding HID's to the lows, it will be a night and day difference.
My High beams are great and they are all ON. The lows are OK with the xenon bulbs- better than the factory halogen. I may eventually go HID, depends on how ambitious i get....
Old 11-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Registered

LOL, no I dont think they would work as strobes. HID's need 3-5 seconds to fully heat up to produce its light. So im not sure how good they would work going on and off.

You can get some strobes from most parts store in the ricer section that are pretty bright though.

You could put HID's in the running lights to blind them (in they're in a halogen housing) and add the strobes for effect !
That sounds like a better ides . Thanks
Old 11-18-2014, 10:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by wannabe
My High beams are great and they are all ON. The lows are OK with the xenon bulbs- better than the factory halogen. I may eventually go HID, depends on how ambitious i get....
i have hid's on all 4..6k low beam and 8k high beams..you have to put the high beams on a seperate switch because coming off high to low beam your hids have to warm up as you know and they are not to bright at first..my low beams are always on at night and then all four when i hit the high's..i also changed the head lights to a what they call a diamont back ground and their is not a projector style..i can see for miles and miles lol..
Old 11-19-2014, 09:37 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
i have hid's on all 4..6k low beam and 8k high beams..you have to put the high beams on a seperate switch because coming off high to low beam your hids have to warm up as you know and they are not to bright at first..my low beams are always on at night and then all four when i hit the high's..i also changed the head lights to a what they call a diamont back ground and their is not a projector style..i can see for miles and miles lol..
Which lights did you get and what year truck?
Old 11-19-2014, 09:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
In my 04 Silverado I have 6000K in my lows and fog lights. I have it wired for the "all on" mod, where the fog lights are on with the low beams (so I dont have to manually turn them on all the time) and then when I click the high beams on its high beams + low beams + fog lights = bright as chit, lol.

I dont have HID's in my highs though so its a little weird having the blueish white HID's on with the yellowish high beams.

What truck/year truck you have that setup on?
Old 12-16-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered

Update: Now have 7500 miles on it. Just did a trip down to Lagrange GA and Back . Avg 17.5 mpg overall. Seats are very supportive- I did a road warrior marathon 812 miles last Friday including getting oil changed on the duramax in Newnan GA. First oil change at 6700 miles- had 8% on oil life monitor. Only 1 regen in entire trip.

Found out the G4 cover is really neat- accordions up to the front so bed access is there- you could even use a goose neck attachment.
Old 12-16-2014, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

For anyone interested, there are a few places online that can retrofit your stock headlights to HID projectors. I used a place called fastheadlights.com for the lights on my '11 Duramax Silverado. They also cleared the lights(removed orange reflectors) and installed Oracle halos which act as daytime running lights.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.