Notices

Boat Trailers are a PITA!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:49 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]527121[/ATTACH]

I will share my opinion.

C channel steel hot dipped galv'ed, with all stainless steel bolt package. Self healing if scratched. I have dunked mine in salt several times this year, and not one speck of rust anywhere. Very little chance of a weld cracking, and much stiffer than an aluminum. I went with 16" wheels with E rated tires. Surge brakes, disk on all 4. Build time was spot on, and the company was very easy to work with.

Loadmaster out of Port Clinton Oh will have my biz from now on if I ever need a new trailer.

Was it cheap, no, but how can you put a price on being stranded in nowheresville.

This will be the last trailer I will have to buy for the 292.
Attached Thumbnails Boat Trailers are a PITA!-20140330_112541.jpg  
Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
They build a great trailer that tows on long hauls wonderfully and the boat so far has loaded perfectly each time. The trailer is a tank, hands down. Think about getting 16" wheels, they make a huge difference.

~~But~~

DO NOT GET IT PAINTED!

And make sure the center caps drain! I have 4 aluminum wheels that are all corroded after just 2 saltwater and only 2 freshwater dunks on a trailer that's only a couple months old. And yes! I washed the boat and trailer with soap and water after the salt runs.

I emailed them and they said they drill holes so the center caps so the water can drain, our caps have no holes. They said I should drill them myself or remove them and I need to call the wheel supplier. I already know how this is going to end, everyone else pointing fingers over their shoulder with the customer paying in the end.

Maybe you have a bad set, my wheels look the same and i have zero corrosion to date. But it does look like some body went ape sht cra on putting the lug bolts on with an impact gun with a socket just pounding at the aluminum.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:02 AM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by looseconnection
[ATTACH=CONFIG]527121[/ATTACH]

I will share my opinion.

C channel steel hot dipped galv'ed, with all stainless steel bolt package. Self healing if scratched. I have dunked mine in salt several times this year, and not one speck of rust anywhere. Very little chance of a weld cracking, and much stiffer than an aluminum. I went with 16" wheels with E rated tires. Surge brakes, disk on all 4. Build time was spot on, and the company was very easy to work with.

Loadmaster out of Port Clinton Oh will have my biz from now on if I ever need a new trailer.

Was it cheap, no, but how can you put a price on being stranded in nowheresville.

This will be the last trailer I will have to buy for the 292.
Why didn't you go EOH?
Old 07-31-2014, 12:22 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Got worried about not having a controller in all tow vehicles. Plus I have not had many issues with surge systems as long as they are maintained. .
Old 07-31-2014, 05:00 PM
Registered

I am at the crossroads of rebuilding my tri-axle Hi-Tech because it is what I have to work with. Priced out maybe flipping the Hi-Tech and building a Manning but by the time I added what I wanted I was out of my range. So I ordered all new Dexter hubs with bearings. I had Kodiak Ecoated brakes on 2 axles which rusted over the winter. I wash the trailer down thoroughly after each dunk but still have issues with the light wiring always needed attention. Part of me wants to upgrade all the axles to a new higher capacity setup (3,500lb torsion tie downs currently) and run metal brake line instead of the old rubber and add brakes on all axles. I also want to go from 14" aluminum wheels with radial tires to 15" aluminum or steel with radial tires to help with the tire roll or scrub under tighter turns. Aluminum vs Steel... people say aluminum for salt water but they start looking like junk too, steels don't corrode...

I rebuild transmissions for a living so this is all basic stuff for me but what is the best to invest in? I am a firm believer a pay for what you get kind of guy but sometimes you can't justify things. Looks like a new trailer would be close to 8 grand.

I appreciate any input from ya'll.

Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by I.D.C.E.
I am at the crossroads of rebuilding my tri-axle Hi-Tech because it is what I have to work with. Priced out maybe flipping the Hi-Tech and building a Manning but by the time I added what I wanted I was out of my range. So I ordered all new Dexter hubs with bearings. I had Kodiak Ecoated brakes on 2 axles which rusted over the winter. I wash the trailer down thoroughly after each dunk but still have issues with the light wiring always needed attention. Part of me wants to upgrade all the axles to a new higher capacity setup (3,500lb torsion tie downs currently) and run metal brake line instead of the old rubber and add brakes on all axles. I also want to go from 14" aluminum wheels with radial tires to 15" aluminum or steel with radial tires to help with the tire roll or scrub under tighter turns. Aluminum vs Steel... people say aluminum for salt water but they start looking like junk too, steels don't corrode...

I rebuild transmissions for a living so this is all basic stuff for me but what is the best to invest in? I am a firm believer a pay for what you get kind of guy but sometimes you can't justify things. Looks like a new trailer would be close to 8 grand.

I appreciate any input from ya'll.
Knowing what I know now, go with the new trailer. Money well spent if you plan to keep the boat for while. The Manning will load and tow better than what you have as well. I used to run my Surge Brake setup with the WD hitch exactly like that. Once I upgraded tow rigs to where I didn't need the WD hitch, I realized that my WD bars WERE (negatively) affecting my braking efficacy. I speculate that you are at the max capacity for your truck. As such, the EoH brakes that I'm certain you spec'd on a new trailer will be a HUGE improvement for you if you do a lot of towing.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 182 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
LOTS of people skimp on trailers. (I'm not accusing anyone of such here.) But dealers didn't often spec a top quality trailer when they used to stock/floorplan boats. And people that are buying used boats are often at the top of their price bracket, and the focus on the boat, and the trailer is a "companion" or "tool".
A trailer is NOT a tool. It's a COMPLIMENT to the boat, and needs to be of same & strong caliber. It's a VEHICLE and it has life threatening consequences when something goes south.
I couldn't agree more. I see so many really nice boats with what I'll just call "questionable" trailers under them. Folks that won't scrimp on hull construction and engine / drive parts, but then stick the cheapest trailer they can find under their new prized possession just don't make any sense to me. I'd propose that a failed trailer or trailer part can cause far more damage to a boat than almost anything you'll likely encounter out on the lake.

My father taught me a long, long time ago that "When you buy a cheap tool, all you get is a cheap tool." Same goes for trailers.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:26 AM
Registered

Lol that was a short discussion! Lol

Sydwayz I would in heartbeat go that route if I could but I think it is just a little out of range for me especially after buying a boat lift for the boat this season. Unless I could finance a few grand depending on what mine would sell for I do not see it happening right now.

The trailer has towed the boat down to southwest Florida from NJ safely a few times and I have another trip planned for end of November.

So say we put the new option on hold, and I was just trying to improve what I had for the time being. What would be the advice on some of the questions I posted above in wheels, tires, brakes etc.

Btw yes the truck is up there # wise but has never once been the weak link in the rig. Even when the trailer brakes stopped working the truck stopped her without making me feel uneasy. The equilizer hitch helps the comfortability going down the road and I have just grown to like the way she handles with it. Im sure a 3500HD with a diesel would feel great towing a little boat but the Sierra Denali gives me everything I need on a daily basis and can handle the chores thrown at it when the time comes. I have 10k Enclosed trailer for my 3/4 Suburban (yes I know most people have race cars, I have a show truck that I tow and store in the trailer) and the Denali tows it fine and I see the difference of how nice electric brakes work and handle.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:08 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

All's well that ends well they say.

The place that did my trailer brakes back in June stood behind their work. They replaced the broken brake line, bled brakes, checked all brake calipers, locktited and retorqued, and reinstalled the brake caliper that fell off. I converted the Vanguard hybrid oil hubs to grease with bearing buddies and out the door for $150.

All is good again.

Dave
Old 08-10-2014, 11:26 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 16 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by I.D.C.E.
Lol that was a short discussion! Lol

Sydwayz I would in heartbeat go that route if I could but I think it is just a little out of range for me especially after buying a boat lift for the boat this season. Unless I could finance a few grand depending on what mine would sell for I do not see it happening right now.

The trailer has towed the boat down to southwest Florida from NJ safely a few times and I have another trip planned for end of November.

So say we put the new option on hold, and I was just trying to improve what I had for the time being. What would be the advice on some of the questions I posted above in wheels, tires, brakes etc.

Btw yes the truck is up there # wise but has never once been the weak link in the rig. Even when the trailer brakes stopped working the truck stopped her without making me feel uneasy. The equilizer hitch helps the comfortability going down the road and I have just grown to like the way she handles with it. Im sure a 3500HD with a diesel would feel great towing a little boat but the Sierra Denali gives me everything I need on a daily basis and can handle the chores thrown at it when the time comes. I have 10k Enclosed trailer for my 3/4 Suburban (yes I know most people have race cars, I have a show truck that I tow and store in the trailer) and the Denali tows it fine and I see the difference of how nice electric brakes work and handle.

Clear out in box please, trying to send you quote on trailer. Or email me at [email protected] thanks for the PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.