Notices

tandem vs triple axel trailer

Old 10-20-2014, 06:21 AM
Registered

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

I have a tandem now and probably getting a new trailer, just trying to decide which one. Everytime we use the boat the trip is a 100 plus miles each way but getting in driveway and garage is very tight with a sharp corner and curves.
Old 10-20-2014, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it bad that seeing the word "axel" misspelled is making me except / expect it? And I'm a crappy speller.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:23 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Axel Foley?

It all depends on the trailer and load.
Cheap bolt together trailer? Go with triple.
Welded engineered trailer? MAYBE a tandem under 33 feet and 10K lbs.
I'd only consider torsion axles. You can limp a torsion trailer in an emergency; cannot do so with leaf springs.

Trailers are tools, very expensive tools that accompany a boat.

Do you buy your tools at WalMart or Craftsman/SnapOn/or-better?
Old 10-20-2014, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Axel Foley?

It all depends on the trailer and load.
Cheap bolt together trailer? Go with triple.
Welded engineered trailer? MAYBE a tandem under 33 feet and 10K lbs.
I'd only consider torsion axles. You can limp a torsion trailer in an emergency; cannot do so with leaf springs.

Trailers are tools, very expensive tools that accompany a boat.

Do you buy your tools at WalMart or Craftsman/SnapOn/or-better?
I was able to limp home when I snapped a center axle on my triple axle leaf spring myco. It involved a floor jack to raise the axle up, a ratchet strap around the axle to frame, snug it up, then lower floor jack.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:11 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I was able to limp home when I snapped a center axle on my triple axle leaf spring myco. It involved a floor jack to raise the axle up, a ratchet strap around the axle to frame, snug it up, then lower floor jack.
Fair point, and thanks for sharing. Do you think it would have worked with a fore or aft axle? That would have to be one REALLY strong ratchet strap to even out the spring levelers.

Several years ago, a friend had his triple axle leaf spring trailer literally eat and drive over the first axle. The levelers got all out of whack, and the entire first axle ripped off as the second axle climbed over it. It came out the back of the trailer/boat to the side, so no damage to the drives. I wasn't there, but a friend who was behind him said it was GNARLY as the boat/trailer was 3 feet in the air. This was a steel trailer under a 388 Hustler. 'Twas probably a good thing he wasn't towing with a Bronco! (PSD dually actually)
Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 AM
Registered

I had a wheel bearing on my rear axle within 5 miles of the boat ramp last year. Took the wheel and rotor off. Put a piece a wood in between the brake pads. Tied up the caliper. Slowly released the jack from the axle. As luck had it I had an inch. 10 miles in hour and putted over railroad tracks on my tandem trailer (now 3 wheels) to the boat ramp to remove the weight. My combo weighs 10,800 fully loaded. I wouldn't recommend it but my continental bolt together trailer sustained no damage. Flex a bit though. I now keep a ratchet strap with me in case I have this issue again.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Originally Posted by abmotorman
I had a wheel bearing on my rear axle within 5 miles of the boat ramp last year. Took the wheel and rotor off. Put a piece a wood in between the brake pads. Tied up the caliper. Slowly released the jack from the axle. As luck had it I had an inch. 10 miles in hour and putted over railroad tracks on my tandem trailer (now 3 wheels) to the boat ramp to remove the weight. My combo weighs 10,800 fully loaded. I wouldn't recommend it but my continental bolt together trailer sustained no damage. Flex a bit though. I now keep a ratchet strap with me in case I have this issue again.
Torsion axle or Leaf Spring?

If you have to ratchet up a torsion axle, you are only pulling up against the force of that axle's suspension.
If you have to do so on a leaf spring trailer, you are pulling against 1/2 or 1/3 of the weight of that side of the boat. (1/2 with tandem axle; 1/3 with triple--as you are pulling up on the spring leveler)
Old 10-20-2014, 11:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Torsion axle or Leaf Spring?

If you have to ratchet up a torsion axle, you are only pulling up against the force of that axle's suspension.
If you have to do so on a leaf spring trailer, you are pulling against 1/2 or 1/3 of the weight of that side of the boat. (1/2 with tandem axle; 1/3 with triple--as you are pulling up on the spring leveler)
Leaf.

No one brought up tolls. It amazes me what they charge to 2 axles. What about 3?
Old 10-20-2014, 05:39 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

I bought a custom welded tandem aluminum built by Manning for my 31 Sonic last year and could not be happier. Have not gone more than 20 miles each way so far but will see if I change my mind when I take it my home in the Keys.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:31 PM
Registered

I've seen tandem aluminum trailers floated by the tires at the ramp. Gotta think two more wires would be worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.