Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
2010 ford 6.4 diesel info needed >

2010 ford 6.4 diesel info needed

Notices

2010 ford 6.4 diesel info needed

Old 12-18-2014, 11:27 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

The guy who owned the Ford house I work on his boat and they did what ever I wanted to the truck basically for free ( I had a sweet deal) except now they sold their Ford dealership a month ago. Anyways in 2010 the 6.7 was coming out at that sometime but I never buy first year engines no matter what the app is. I heard now the first year 6.7 Ford had a lot of updates after that and some problems.

Very hard to find the coolant leak as I just started jacking with my own truck myself this week. I have no diesel training - not even for marine apps. I have the tracer dye and lite to use maybe to find this leak. The coolant leak is worse and I let the truck just sit in the driveway. Really not towing nor the need to tow or move boats around like I needed this year at all.

I will get the VIN and can I PM someone it. THANKS A MILLION FOR HELPING ME WITH THIS and everyone who has at this point.

Last edited by BUP; 12-18-2014 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-18-2014, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Look for white residue around the lower radiator hose where it meets the front cover and upper radiator hose where it goes into the thermostat housing. The coolant will leave a white residue when i drys. Thats probably where it is leaking. The updated hoses have a white end. If the end of the hoses are black in those locations they are the old style and will leak eventually if not already.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:05 PM
BUP
Banned

they if I recall the hose connections were black. Also I think they have sections of hose and connections. Very hard to see or get my hand all the way up to the top connections and area.

I do know the leak runs down and runs on the hose then drips off. Thanks I will report back when I have a chance to really look at it and can make for a better discription.

Last edited by BUP; 12-18-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
Bought this brand new in 2010 has 50 k miles currently and for a while has a coolant leak, its seems to leak from the top portion down and drips off the bottom hose and or hose connects underneath.

I had a friend who owned a big FORD house (place I bought the truck) and was going to get it fixed under a TSB or something related to a FORD payback. Anyways they sold the dealership. Like I said it has 50k miles currently and is not even 5 years old yet. Does anyone have any info on these leaking coolant and or a TSB for it. I did not buy the extended warranty rip off deal so I believe all warranties are done.

Next where is a good source to buy all these filters for the truck - like oil, all the diesel fuel filters and the air & cabin filters. Man retail just in filters is over 300 bucks, I checked with WIX on a dealer account and its somewhere in the 200's. Any other sources selling this stuff that's more in line. Unreal drop in oil filter 54 bucks alone - air filter 85 bucks.

I really do not know a whole lot about diesel apps other than my hand nor my arms fits no where for working on anything engine related on this truck. I know the injectors can be a problem over time. How about the EGR on this app ? or was that on the 6.0 problem area.
Factory Warranty is 5 years or 100,000 miles on drivetrain related equipment...

I had a leaky radiator hose on mine...Had the hose replaced and a new style clamp put on it. Was told the factory clamps/hoses were the cause of the leak...

I bought mine new in 2010, and it is approaching the 100k mark....Only issues I have had is the above mentioned issue, a bad Trans Temp Sensor, and the Alternator went out...

My suggestion, delete and tune.....Change oil every 5k...Don't put Rotella in it (My truck hates it), and don't look back....You will save the cost of the tuner in fuel savings in 6 to 12 months....

Last edited by j21black; 12-18-2014 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Trade it for a Duramax!!
Old 12-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Registered

Your 5/100 is for diesel engine warranty only. Your powertrain, trans and driveline is 5/60. The hoses are not considered powertrain but if the warranty clerk can code it with thermostat part number under the tsb then that should get is covered under the diesel engine warranty. Diesel engine warranty and powertrain warranty are different warranties. Now if you have a ESP policy, extended service plan through ford, thats a different deal. Thats covers alot.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tsatrooper1
Your 5/100 is for diesel engine warranty only. Your powertrain, trans and driveline is 5/60. The hoses are not considered powertrain but if the warranty clerk can code it with thermostat part number under the tsb then that should get is covered under the diesel engine warranty. Diesel engine warranty and powertrain warranty are different warranties. Now if you have a ESP policy, extended service plan through ford, thats a different deal. Thats covers alot.
My dealer may have upgraded mine....

They threw in a lifetime engine/transmission warranty on mine....As long as I'm the owner.....
Old 12-18-2014, 01:28 PM
BUP
Banned

Thanks for the help and keep them coming with the tips and problems. I think as well its in a connection for the coolant leak. I did not think the factory standard warranty was five years and 100 k - I will re look in the owners manual and call Ford. Maybe I just might take it back to the Ford house and see what the new owners will do for me.

I also was full GM buyer and my favorite has always been the Vette since birth, I ended up liking the FORD trucks better in the past 8 years only, have owned 3 brand new Ford trucks - 2 gas - new 2005 and a new 2007 and now this Diesel 2010.

Just talking out load here for GM - My dad had Vettes his whole life growing up and use to drag race the entire 60's to early 70's, At one time he had 1967 SS Chevelle that had that drag race breed 427 engine they installed in it. You had to put your order in and wait a year in advance thru GM to get it.. He finally got one in 1967 or 1968. I think at that time it was an all Aluminum block 427 , I could be totally wrong about being aluminum but I know it came from GM special order on a waiting list and a lot of GM drag racers tried to get one, some could not.

Anyways he drag raced a lot against Shirley Muldowney who had a vette at that time along with Connie Kalitta and a bunch more who are in that drag race circle. So GM has always been the favorite of mine except in the later models comparing Chevy trucks to Ford trucks the past 8 years. Man we use to have fun at the drag races growing up.

Another story off subject, many many years ago our family - my dad was towing his drag car home after the races late and by chance Richard Petty and his crew at the same time were towing their powder blue 43 car somewhere too - as we passed them on the hwy - we pointed to them to pull over at the next stop. They did, I remember they checked my dads drag car out and we checked out his Nascar 43 car out, we probable spent about 2 hours hanging out as Petty and my dad talked cars the whole time. Great story. That would never happen again in this time period.

Last edited by BUP; 12-18-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:47 PM
Registered

Thats a sweet deal if so! I would hang on to that.

Last edited by tsatrooper1; 12-18-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 12-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Registered

Which ford dealer in Fort Worth do you go to? I'm from that area and know alot of guys in that field in that area. Might be able to help you out if you start getting the run around.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.