Notices

Tow vehicle

Old 01-18-2015, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Powerful diesels of today, can lead to a false sense of security as they help you mentally think the truck is not struggling. Its not the engine we need to worry about from a safety standpoint. its the stability of the tow vehicle, that comes from suspension, wheelbase, tires, big brakes, and so on.

i've towed 31ft boats on poorly setup trailers, that towed worse than properly setup trailers under 38ft boats.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny you said that about trailer set up. My brother inlaw has a 26ft liberator and the trailer was shot. I towed it one time and couldn't believe how terrible it towed compared to my boat. My trailer is mint and boat tows like nothing behind my ram even being a half ton. The whole trailer set is mint but trailer also cost almost 10k. Really like the new tahoes but Prob end up keeping what I have.
Old 01-18-2015, 08:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ya like everyone has said, the tahoe is a bad idea, I gave up the tahoe with my 271 years back, went into a crew cab sierra, same powerplant but the wheelbase is what made the diff
Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To Mild Thunder. I do have an Excursion. It weighs just over 8K. Tows my Scarab III (11K) like it's not even there. Same story with my 28' enclosed trailer and Pro-Street Challenger. I had a '99 Surburban I converted to a duallie. Didn't tow as well as the 4 wheel Excursion. It's all about the tow vehicle weight. The more, the better.