Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Looking for truck to pull 35 Lightning >

Looking for truck to pull 35 Lightning

Notices

Looking for truck to pull 35 Lightning

Old 08-25-2015, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

The truck you have will be fine, the oil burner nice but more money and higher fuel price.

I will say as for issues with the 6.7, I have read them and people act like all are junk. I have said it before we have I think 6 of them now, always towing at least 12k by young guys that beat everything.

I asked the owner last month when we were in one coming back and he said not one issue on any of the trucks.

Who knows.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
The truck you have will be fine, the oil burner nice but more money and higher fuel price.

I will say as for issues with the 6.7, I have read them and people act like all are junk. I have said it before we have I think 6 of them now, always towing at least 12k by young guys that beat everything.

I asked the owner last month when we were in one coming back and he said not one issue on any of the trucks.

Who knows.
Yeah it's been a mixed bag on the 6.7 so far. I've read they still have radiator problems and for some reason tons of AC issues. Then I've read people like you that say no issues. One thing that seems to be common for radiator issues are they're all coming from construction sites where people are driving on uneven surfaces a lot. The flex in the truck is cracking the radiators due to them being shoehorned in and right up against other things. Who knows for sure. I think I'll be alright on my gasser for a least a few years. I might make the switch down the road if the 6.7 proves to be a decent engine long term. I actually just google mapped the trip from my storage to the ramp and it's 3.8 miles, I was thinking it was more than that. I may not look cool putting in and pulling the boat out, but at least I will while on the water.
Old 08-25-2015, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

On my second 6.7. Not one issue and the first was 2011. You will be fine in your 6.2 and I'm a LC guy
Old 08-25-2015, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

You`re fine
Old 08-25-2015, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just towed my Cafe 350 miles this past weekend on an aluminum triple axle trailer with my crew cab short bed single rear wheel F-350 6.7 diesel. No issues, no sway, I would feel comfortable towing this thing anywhere with this truck.
Old 08-25-2015, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Sport chassis nothing else is safe

I'm kidding I towed a 35 fountain on a steel trailer over 400 miles with a 2wd 6.0 gas Chevy, no issue whatsoever.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:52 AM
Registered

Out of curiosity, what does the boat weigh on the trailer? Ever had it weighed when set up to travel? (Fuel, gear, etc all in the boat)

I'm in a similar spot to you but I haven't bought my next boat yet - very little towing except 1-2 long road trips a year, and the tow vehicle will be my DD. I valet/dry dock my Pachanga, so I don't have a tow vehicle at all right now.
Old 08-26-2015, 02:25 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
Sport chassis nothing else is safe

I'm kidding I towed a 35 fountain on a steel trailer over 400 miles with a 2wd 6.0 gas Chevy, no issue whatsoever.
Just curious, what did the boat weigh on the trailer? I am guessing it was 10k-11k lbs?
Old 08-26-2015, 02:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Slide
Out of curiosity, what does the boat weigh on the trailer? Ever had it weighed when set up to travel? (Fuel, gear, etc all in the boat)

I'm in a similar spot to you but I haven't bought my next boat yet - very little towing except 1-2 long road trips a year, and the tow vehicle will be my DD. I valet/dry dock my Pachanga, so I don't have a tow vehicle at all right now.
I haven't had it weighed. I'm guessing the trailer and boat with fuel in the tanks I'd be pushing close to 10k lbs. Honestly it's a guess and I really have no idea. I just bought a F250 crew cab short bed 6.2 gasser. We'll see how the setup works this weekend.
Old 08-26-2015, 03:43 PM
Registered

you should be fine with that truck. The new 6r140 transmissions gearing makes a big difference in the new trucks. The splits with the more gears let the motors stay in the torque curve from what I've seen. We have bucket trucks at work with the 6.2 in them and they have plenty of power even weighing 12000+. I love my 6.0 diesel but the worst thing you can do to any diesel is not use it so the 6.2 will be the best for your limited usage I think.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.