Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Towing an Outer limits SV52 with F250... >

Towing an Outer limits SV52 with F250...

Notices

Towing an Outer limits SV52 with F250...

Old 06-08-2016, 10:14 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, I don't feel the OP has near enough truck to safely tow a 52' OL.

I do feel the need to weigh in on the skid loader verses boat conversation being that I pull both with the same truck. The boat is pulls like a dream with no ill handling effects whatsoever. The skid loader, on the other hand, well lets just say it never lets you forget its back there...
Attached Thumbnails Towing an Outer limits SV52 with F250...-img_20150515_144108625.jpg   Towing an Outer limits SV52 with F250...-img_20160422_172752864.jpg  
Old 06-08-2016, 11:01 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Scagburner

I do feel the need to weigh in on the skid loader verses boat conversation being that I pull both with the same truck. The boat is pulls like a dream with no ill handling effects whatsoever. The skid loader, on the other hand, well lets just say it never lets you forget its back there...
I would have to agree.
Same truck, different paint and different loads:

Old 06-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never understood lifted trucks, big rubber on chinese cast wheels pulling max loads , no thanks . Need a go pro mounted to watch those tire,s flex & walk all over .
Old 06-08-2016, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 575cat
I never understood lifted trucks, big rubber on chinese cast wheels pulling max loads , no thanks . Need a go pro mounted to watch those tire,s flex & walk all over .
We call them bro-dozers here...but that's a whole 'nother thread.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok Sydwayz, what's the story on the pink VW and matching travel trailer?!
Old 06-08-2016, 02:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this was a handful and I wished I had a dually
Attached Thumbnails Towing an Outer limits SV52 with F250...-123.jpg  
Old 06-08-2016, 03:30 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Chart
Ok Sydwayz, what's the story on the pink VW and matching travel trailer?!
Ha, well they both belong to my GF, and have particular meaning aligned with her fight against breast cancer.
The bug came first, and we had that completely disassembled and painted a custom pink metallic pearl. She knew the pink was going to happen before she found the right VW. Good old Aflack money paid for that because she's the strongest woman I've ever met, and took minimal time off work.

We took them both to Cars & Coffee Halloween and it was a big hit, especially for the little girls; not just boys who come with Dad to C&C. That's where the above picture was taken.
It's a 1965 Mallard Duck or something like that, fully restored, but still a bit of patina in the paint department and a few other areas.

We've taken it to Key West for the past two years over New Year's week, and it's been a blast.
I run a full WD hitch setup on it for a couple reasons: It's almost perfectly balanced, and teters when on the hitch. The WD hitch and sway control takes care of that, especially since it only weights 1100 lbs, and I have towed it well over 80 mph for long stretches. It also has electric brakes. And also, since it is so light, I keep the WD hitch pretty taught with downforce to keep it planted on the ground behind us. She just bought a MB ML-Class diesel to tow it with; so she doesn't have to borrow one of my trucks.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 06-08-2016 at 03:32 PM.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Scagburner

That's because Tres Martin designed the boat bottom to lift the stern at highway speeds! So it rides like a flying carpet back there!
Old 06-08-2016, 04:38 PM
Registered

Sydwayz, I was going to give you disbelief about the "girl friend's" car, but won't now. That is a awesome story out of a horrible situation. All the best to her, and those who care about her.

Do you have a hitch on the bug to pull the trailer in local parades and such? That would make a nice statement about Breast Cancer Research. Might even save a life if it causes a woman to get checked who might not otherwise.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:41 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by northernoffshore
this was a handful and I wished I had a dually
Fair enough, but part of the reason was that trailer is too small for the boat. Look how much is hanging behind the bunks. Hard on the boat, and increases the tail-wagging potential of the rig. The engine weight is a couple three feet further back than it should be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.