Notices

Replaced Factory Hitch

Old 06-27-2016, 05:29 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replaced Factory Hitch

I've read a couple of posts on here about replacing the OEM trailer hitches so I decided to go ahead and replace the one on my 2015 GMC Denali HD with a Reese Class 5 hitch. I was totally surprised at how much better my rig handles with the new hitch. It seems to place the weight further forward and over the rear axle reducing feedback going down the road.

I realize that I am not towing the weight that most people on here are with 10,000 lbs. but this is definitely $450 well spent.

Dave
Old 06-27-2016, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This is good to know. I have a 2016 Yukon with Max Tow Package (8500#) and have thought about this if I move to something larger than my current rig...weighing in A~Z at about 7500#.

How is the fit up relative to the rear bumper cover with the Class V hitch ? Any mods required ?

Thanks for the post.
Old 06-27-2016, 08:20 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

The Denali pickups have a notch in the rear bumper and the receiver is tucked up in there about 1-2" higher making the factory hitch less noticeable. The Reese is massive and much more noticeable, but believe me it is worth it. I was surprised when I looked at the OEM hitch after it was removed. Not very substantial at all compared to the Reese and the OEM hitch has 2 fewer attachment points as well.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:00 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 fastech 292
The Denali pickups have a notch in the rear bumper and the receiver is tucked up in there about 1-2" higher making the factory hitch less noticeable. The Reese is massive and much more noticeable, but believe me it is worth it. I was surprised when I looked at the OEM hitch after it was removed. Not very substantial at all compared to the Reese and the OEM hitch has 2 fewer attachment points as well.
Good stuff...we think alike. How much weight do you calculate you are towing ?
Old 06-27-2016, 01:12 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Should have been all the same mounting points right? I think you might see difference in towing characteristics due to reduced flex.
Also, did you change your drawbar? Even an inch or two in drawbar height AND/OR the length of drawbar can adjust how the weight is transferred between the trailer and tow vehicle over bumps.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:55 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sprink58
Good stuff...we think alike. How much weight do you calculate you are towing ?
About 10K lbs. with a full tank of gas.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Should have been all the same mounting points right? I think you might see difference in towing characteristics due to reduced flex.
Also, did you change your drawbar? Even an inch or two in drawbar height AND/OR the length of drawbar can adjust how the weight is transferred between the trailer and tow vehicle over bumps.
No, they had to drill new mounting holes for the front of the hitch which goes about 8-10 inches further forward under the truck. I didn't change the draw bar height as the Denali sits about 2 inches higher than my Silverado did so with the lower receiver the trailer is sitting perfectly level. Also, with the factory hitch, the truck always squatted about 2 inches when attaching the trailer, but that doesn't happen with the new hitch.

What really made me do this was your comments in other posts and the fact that I swore I felt something flex back there during a hard stop and /or hard acceleration. But its rock sold now.

Dave

Last edited by 08 fastech 292; 06-27-2016 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm...I may have to look into this....I have the exact same truck as you. Do you happen to have the model number you bought for the 15 Denali HD?
Old 06-27-2016, 03:18 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Wasted Income
Hmm...I may have to look into this....I have the exact same truck as you. Do you happen to have the model number you bought for the 15 Denali HD?
I thought it was a Reese, but its a Drawtite #45302 Class 5 Titan 2.5" receiver.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:21 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by 08 fastech 292
No, they had to drill new mounting holes for the front of the hitch which goes about 8-10 inches further forward under the truck. I didn't change the draw bar height as the Denali sits about 2 inches higher than my Silverado did so with the lower receiver the trailer is sitting perfectly level. Also, with the factory hitch, the truck always squatted about 2 inches when attaching the trailer, but that doesn't happen with the new hitch.

What really made me do this was your comments in other posts and the fact that I swore I felt something flex back there during a hard stop and /or hard acceleration. But its rock sold now.

Dave
Excellent, great info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.