Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
What's Next Step Trailer Suspension >

What's Next Step Trailer Suspension

Notices

What's Next Step Trailer Suspension

Old 09-12-2016, 10:22 AM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
Default What's Next Step Trailer Suspension

Long story short, I ruined a spindle on my trailer coming home from purchasing the boat. Replaced the axle and springs on the rear with same dimension axle in a round vs square tube. The springs I used in the rear are 1750 or 3500 total. I didn't replace the front. The boat is sitting on the trailer the same way it has since 1980. I am wearing the inside of tires bad and the equalizer is always in this position.

I have another pair of springs and bushings for the front but I'm thinking it may have some major wear on the equalizer and hanger when I get it apart. I'd like to put another 500 miles on it this season before I redo the trailer all together.

It's a Baron trailer which looks identical to the Myco's of the same year. Well built trailer to have lasted this long. The only thing that has changed is going from all iron 454 with cast manifolds to Aluminum Headed BBC/Bravo. Maybe lost 200-400 lbs on the transom and with the Merctrans, the engine didn't move that much further back.

Old 09-12-2016, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trailer axles sometime have a slight bit of toe in built into them. The axles will hall foward/front marked on them. Could be in backwards. Bending over the years. Or bearings a little loose could cause some wear also. Plus a lot of shape turns can wear tires in funny patterns over time. Measure to see if you have a toe problem. Then back up the trailer 50 feet as straight as you can and measure again
Old 09-12-2016, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

It looks like the offset from axle centerline is greater on the round axle , which will cause the equalizer to compensate. This should not cause tire wear.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:20 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Has the replaced axle shifted a bit over time? Are measurements still accurate?

I'm not one to really suggest these things, but if you are looking for a carry-over to get you through the season, perhaps the simplest thing to do is put a new pair of tires on the axle that's wearing them. At least this is simple and quick; and doesn't open a can of worms.

That is such a great looking boat, and looks great on that trailer too.

Make sure you have a laser temperature gun with you all times when towing. Stop every hour and check tire, brake, and hub/bearing temperatures.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming your brakes are working, the equalizer is getting pulled up by the braking force from the front (square) axle. If both of your rear tires are wearing on the inside (new axle) it might not have had enough camber built into the tube or it's overloaded.

I think I moved my brakes to the rear axle when I redid them, but I'll have to double check when I get home on Friday, there was a reason I moved them and I think it was from research on this site but it's been a long time since I did it. I know my equalizers are always tilted up one direction but I'll have to double check that too and see if it's toward the brake axle or the idler axle.
Old 09-12-2016, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

You have 2 Different drop dimensions on your axles. The distance from the spring perch to the Centerline of your spindles is different from the round to the square axle . The Round Axle looks like a dexter and has about a 4" drop . The Square on the Rear looks like a UFP , and has a drop of about 2 to 2 1/2". You can see it in you picture .
Old 09-13-2016, 08:16 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by dunnitagain
You have 2 Different drop dimensions on your axles. The distance from the spring perch to the Centerline of your spindles is different from the round to the square axle . The Round Axle looks like a dexter and has about a 4" drop . The Square on the Rear looks like a UFP , and has a drop of about 2 to 2 1/2". You can see it in you picture .
You know, I matched the axle off the axle I removed, not the one that would remain... I can't argue with what you see. Since I have a 4" drop and installed a 4" drop, I don't think I let me self see the difference. Thanks!

If that is the case, it seems like the forward axle would have more weight on it no?
Old 09-14-2016, 06:53 AM
Registered

The axles will have the same weight , because of the Equalizer. All manufacturers measure the drop differently . I had a Performance Trailer, 3 axle in my shop that had 3 different axles in it from the factory!!! All the weight was on the front axle . Because it was bottoming on the frame! This thing had a 33 Eliminator on it!
Old 09-14-2016, 06:59 AM
Registered

If you have 2-3" clearance from axle top to frame . And the same to your fender and tire , just put you another axle in it. Dexter only makes Axles in 0 and 4" drop. They will make you a custom axle , and its not that much more . Find you a good trailer shop and they will help you. I buy all my stuff from TexTrail.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:25 AM
Registered

They are both 4" drop axles. Problem is, square axle is measured from the bottom of the square and round axle is measured from center of tube. Therefore I am off 1". The round axle is coming off for a square axle that I ordered. That should clean up the equalizer. In the process I'll make sure that I have the same springs all the way around.

I've been avoiding tires because I plan to raise the fenders in order to go to a 15" wheel and run a better tire. Anyone know how much better tire options get when going to a 15" wheel? I'm told I won't find a 16" in 5 X 4.5 bolt pattern. It's on 14's now...

When I go, this thing will make mostly 400-500 mile round trips behind a duramax that doesn't know it's there. I'd like to set it up where I can run it and not worry about it.

Thanks for the help all!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.