Notices

Truck Shopping........

Old 12-30-2016, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Don't have any issues with my Ford diesel's, the 2012 and 2016 are awesome, the 2008 and 2009 are merely great. I feel if you leave them stock, and don't "tune" them, less problems. Not going to bad mouth the Ram's or GM products, I have a good dealer so I stick with the Ford's. Never underestimate the value of a dealer that is willing to mediate issues with the manufacturer, or push on your behalf. Can not stress this enough. Also, I buy at a dealership as part of a local contractor's block. The dealership sells about 20-30 new units a year to all of us, less likely to get taken when all your Buds will hear about it.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

What dealer are you using sprsptr? Ive been kicking around buying a new Ford but may hold out for an '18. I service BMWs for a living, but don't have any connection with Ford sales or service in any way ha!
Old 12-31-2016, 05:08 AM
Registered

I have had good results with Bonnell Ford in Winchester MA. I deal with Brooks Bonnell, one of the owners. He cuts to the chase, shows a " Legitimate" factory invoice, and they have a good service department. I did purchase my 2016 at Salem Ford in Salem NH, they had an in stock unit that met my needs and they gave me over 11k off on it. I can not vouch for the service department, as I have not used it. I would have no problem getting a '16 again, not that high on the aluminum body just yet!

Last edited by sprsptr; 12-31-2016 at 05:09 AM. Reason: mis spell
Old 12-31-2016, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Went and looked at another Mega Cab. This one was a Big Horn edition so no leather. But, thats not a deal breaker. The fact its listed 4k below the other one is nice. It is also white, which the wife approves of.

All three make nice trucks. All three also make trucks that can have a variety of problems. A lot of times it comes down to which style you like or if one has features you want vs another. With GM finally upping their hp and torque numbers they are now in the same general range as Ford and Dodge.

For us, its all about the space. We were looking for either a 8 foot bed or the biggest cab we could find. It is very hard finding an 8 foot bed on a diesel that is not priced too high. So that takes us to the Mega Cab. We ruled out looking at the new fords as there is too much unknown with how the bodies will hold up with the new aluminum panels. Not worried about them rusting but where they are attached to the steel under body. If not done right, you can get corrosion when ferrous and non ferrous metals meet. Dodge is having that issue on the hood for the Charger scat pack. Its aluminum skin with a steel bracket for the latch. that area is corroding.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:13 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

The problem with the MegaCab on the Ram is that a K-car has more space for hauling.

"asg" here on OSO fixed that issue with a long bed conversion on his last one.
Old 12-31-2016, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Roll, I bought my truck last year from Ron Lewis dodge in waynesburg which should be somewhat close to u. They gave me the best deal out of every dealer I spoke to . I spoke to dealers all over the us . I got them to deliver the truck halfway to me and put in a spray in bed liner (there dime) . They also gave me $1k more for my trade than any other dealer. They got me every rebate possible , which worked out to over 12k off sticker. My truck is a 2500 Laramie crew cab with 8 ft. Bed . Diesel. Absolutely love the truck.. I traded in a 2009 2500.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:30 PM
Registered

I too would go with a long bed every time if you are hauling anything over 35' on the highway at speed. It is more stress to park, but the stability is great! I dropped a 26' Nova back in the day on the highway when I was dragging it with a Blazer, so my prospective is a little skewed. There is nothing scarier than having a trailer walk you around at 60 mph with your wife and kids screamin"! Actually, it is a lot like when we are out in the Tiger in big stuff! LOL
Old 01-01-2017, 08:35 AM
Registered

I actually bought my Challenger from Ron Lewis a couple of years ago. Looked at a 16 Laramie trim Mega Cab there that they have sale price of 56 and change. It was definately loaded but is black and the wife is not crazy about black. So the last one we looked at was a Big Horn edition which is white in color. Little less frills than a Laramie but still a nice truck.

As for length and storage, the Mega Cab does only come with the 6.5 bed but, overall its about 9 inches shorter than a crew cab with the 8' bed. So its still a pretty long truck. Storage is plentiful as there is room behind the back seats, or keep it clear and lean them back for a nap. I do believe you could fit a K car in the back of the cab with the seats down...
Old 01-02-2017, 07:58 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have a 2014 RAM 2500 with the 6.4 Hemi. It doesn't have the crazy torque of an oiler but it's no slouch either. I have seat time in both versions (gas & diesel) of my truck and couldn't stand the lazy gas pedal feel of the diesel. I have a few buddies with Mega Cab 2500's and one of them nick-named it the Recall-Ram because it's always going in for something emissions related or there is a flash to update something. My 6.4 RAM has been virtually perfect.

My 35 Lightning fully loaded puts me right at the max tow capacity of 12k with the 3.73 gear set. I don't think the 4.10 ratio would make a noticeable difference unless you were going to put some heavy 35's or 37's on it. (My aftermarket tires/wheels weigh the same as stock.) I go to LOTO once or twice a year which is about 600 miles one way. My truck does a great job through the hills in 100° heat. I average 9-11 mpg which is about the same that another buddy gets in his RAM Mega/Cummins towing a 38 Lightning (approx same weight.) I'll tell you there are times when I think another 400 foot pounds of torque would be nice but overall I just cannot justify the initial expense of a 6.7 Cummins, DEF, extra maintenance costs, etc for that extra torque.

Diesel guys will bag on a gasser HD truck but late model fuelies get the job done. That said, if your daily towing is 10,000 pounds or more then a diesel truck is probably going to be a better choice. If not, as others have said, the 6.4 Hemi equipped HD trucks are pretty awesome.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Registered

Initially I was looking at the 6.4 gasser because it will get used more without a trailer than with. I'm figuring the 36 Outlaw on trailer is about 13k pounds. The 4.10 gears would definitely give me the tow rating needed. But, I would have to order the truck new to get them. The next concern is the gas mileage. I know the newer diesels do not get the same mileage as the older ones like mine, but, they still get better mileage than gas. It can get soooo frustrating trying to think of all the angles. lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.