Notices

The trailer thread

Old 01-10-2017, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Ed and haul rite built me a new trailer for my Apache a couple years ago and with them printing the bottom it is night and day difference loading compared to my old trailer (used have to get lined up on bunks and then back truck in more and now I just back in crank winch tight and pull straight out). It is also amazing how well it is balanced and how much better the boat tows as a result. I went with the 10x2 and like the clean look of that setup. I went with black just because I felt it would be the most durable color. There might be a picture of mine on Facebook.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Mannings are pretty nice no doubt .

Wait that`s a Evolution.. my bad!
As nice as that trailer looks, it looks like the wires to the taillights are just layed in the C channel. Even Manning runs their wiring in aluminum square channel.
Old 01-10-2017, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by ICDEDPPL
Which doesn`t make much sense to me 21,000lbs worth of axles and only 15K capacity?
Personally I think 8K axles would be better. the boat is 13, 500 dry. I`ll make a phone call and see if I can upgrade.

I see your point on resale. To justify 1/3 additional cost for maybe one day someday when I sell it may be a salt user ?? Eh
What do you think it will weigh loaded?

I definitely agree an axle upgrade is much needed but it's hard to beat the replaceble spindles on the 7K torsions.

Might want to look Into 9k and 10k to get bigger bearings, the 8k still use the same inner as the 7K and 6k.

Also make sure there is enough tongue weight. Especially if you plan on adding any weight to the back like engine upgrades, drive upgrades, swim platform, stand up jet ski ;-) etc. My Baja towed like crap after adding boxes, IMCO SC drives, and prochargerand, plus a gutted cabin. The axles needed to go way back.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:22 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by 509 SC
As nice as that trailer looks, it looks like the wires to the taillights are just layed in the C channel. Even Manning runs their wiring in aluminum square channel.
Doesn`t look much better , one of the things that i don`t like about C chanell
Manning:

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
What do you think it will weigh loaded?

Weight *:
17,325 lbs*

* Includes boat, motor (heaviest offered), full fuel, full water and all available options.

Not sure how much heavier Diesels are vs. 496HO`s

Not gonna run around with full tank either.. so I`d say 15K-16K is a safe #..

Last edited by ICDEDPPL; 01-10-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Another nice upgrade is to have a spindle mounted spare tire with hub and bearings installed instead of them rolling around loose in a tool box, or have two complete spare setups ;-)
Old 01-10-2017, 10:53 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

A guy local to me bought a 47 Fountain a year or two ago. Had a brand new Manning built for it and none of the bunks fit right. They were off in multiple dimensions. They didn't have the actual boat but you'd have thought someone like manning would've had a pattern or done whatever was necessary. Had to have the local marina add blocks, change the bow stop location etc.

Last edited by bck; 01-10-2017 at 10:55 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 10:53 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Another nice upgrade is to have a spindle mounted spare tire with hub and bearings installed instead of them rolling around loose in a tool box, or have two complete spare setups ;-)
Jeff Jassby did this with his Myco years ago:

TWO complete wheel/tire/hub/spindle assemblies, on either side of the trailer THAT ACTED AS EXTRA (wide) BOW GUIDES to align the nose of the boat when retrieving. Brilliant!

I actually had plans to do that with my Myco before I sold it. (Note that the wheels spin when on a spindle, better for the boat should they ever actually contact the boat.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 598 Likes on 243 Posts

Sounds like you bought this new boat with the intentions of doing a lot of trailer cruising.

Eventually I would believe that would lead to launching in saltwater?

Go aluminum and torsion bar axles.

Manning is not the only aluminum trailer manufacture out there, they are Pretty and Quality, but there is plenty of other quality big aluminum trailers being towed all over Florida under 20 thousand pound Grady Whites and other 4 -5 outboard CCs
Old 01-10-2017, 11:22 PM
Registered

I have no desire to ever drive cross country with a 10'+ beam to go salt water boating.
. Plenty of good fresh water boating where I`m at.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:23 PM
Registered

Exclamation

Originally Posted by bck
A guy local to me bought a 47 Fountain a year or two ago. Had a brand new Manning built for it and none of the bunks fit right. They were off in multiple dimensions. They didn't have the actual boat but you'd have thought someone like manning would've had a pattern or done whatever was necessary. Had to have the local marina add blocks, change the bow stop location etc.
Exactly what I`m trying to avoid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.