Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Thanks all for the info!!
Old 12-05-2017, 09:46 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I borrowed a craftsman brand one that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Took about half hour to inflate a tire. During that time it stopped working once due to overheating and needed to cool down. It also blew what i thought was a fuse in the truck so i switched it from the cigarette lighter to the power outlet to finish (or maybe vice versa). Despite checking every fuse in the truck I've never gotten that outlet to work again, don't know what it damaged. Worthless pos turned me off of anything that plugs into a cigarette lighter, I'd likely join aaa before bying one. Anyone know what to look for with my dead cig lighter/ power outlet on a 2003 Chevy?
Old 12-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
I borrowed a craftsman brand one that plugs into the cigarette lighter. Took about half hour to inflate a tire. During that time it stopped working once due to overheating and needed to cool down. It also blew what i thought was a fuse in the truck so i switched it from the cigarette lighter to the power outlet to finish (or maybe vice versa). Despite checking every fuse in the truck I've never gotten that outlet to work again, don't know what it damaged. Worthless pos turned me off of anything that plugs into a cigarette lighter, I'd likely join aaa before bying one. Anyone know what to look for with my dead cig lighter/ power outlet on a 2003 Chevy?
I had one that permanently died on my 2003/2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD too; not fuse related That dash panel (assuming) you have the center console stack with the cubby holes; comes apart without too much trouble to investigate.
Old 12-05-2017, 10:34 AM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

I've taken the dash apart to access the guages. A couple inches of wire is visible on the back of the outlet but I haven't done much more than check all the fuses and relays.
Old 12-06-2017, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bck
Probably turned the actual cig lighter into a fusible link.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:56 PM
bck
Charter Member#568
Charter Member

Wouldn't suprise me. It doesn't look or smell burned. Sooner or later I'll get around to checking rhe wiring at the socket and see if it's getting power. If not guess I'll be looking to join a Chevy truck forum to get to the bottom of it.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:15 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I had one that permanently died on my 2003/2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD too; not fuse related That dash panel (assuming) you have the center console stack with the cubby holes; comes apart without too much trouble to investigate.
the socket and last few inches of wire burnout quite easily. Used to see it a lot on those trucks with guys plugging in rotator lights for plowing snow.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:25 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by bck
Wouldn't suprise me. It doesn't look or smell burned. Sooner or later I'll get around to checking rhe wiring at the socket and see if it's getting power. If not guess I'll be looking to join a Chevy truck forum to get to the bottom of it.
Originally Posted by Unlimited jd
the socket and last few inches of wire burnout quite easily. Used to see it a lot on those trucks with guys plugging in rotator lights for plowing snow.

I just checked. It's the one closest to the steering wheel on my 2003 Silverado 2500HD that's shot.
Old 12-11-2017, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a viair installed on my F250 with a 2 gallon tank. i have a normal 1/4" quick connect in the rear bumper and I carry a 50' hose with me. Plus I run the airbags, train horn, and air locker off it.
Old 12-13-2017, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of those Viair compressors look pretty good. I think i might set up a rig like ToMorrow 44 described with a 2 gallon tank.