CDL requirements.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:41 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by mike38scarab
-->General Applicability of Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) Requirements:

A CDL is required if:

• The vehicle has a GVWR or GVW of 26,001 pounds or more; or

• A combination of vehicles (truck and trailer) has a GVWR or GCWR of 26,001 pounds or more, including a towed unit with a GVWR or GVW of more than 10,000 pounds.

However, if the vehicle is used for a non-commercial purpose, (i.e., a recreational vehicle, a vehicle transporting horsesand other animals, or cars, boats and similar items to shows and events), the driver does not need a CDL, unless required by the driver’s home State. If an underlying business is not related to the transportation, it is considered non-commercial. This includes any unrelated agricultural business, such as a cattle rancher who owns horses for personal use, unrelated to the ranching business.

Employers and drivers who transport horses and other animals or cars, boats and similar items to shows and events, in a vehicle or combination of vehicles weighing 26,001 pounds or more (GVWR, GVW, GCW or GCWR), must comply with their State’s licensing laws, which may or may not require a CDL.

A State may exempt farm vehicle operatorsfrom its CDL requirements. A farm vehicle waiver is limited to the driver’s home State, unless there is a reciprocal agreement with adjoining States.

How to Determine if a Driver is Required to have a CDL

If a safety official stops a CMV transporting an agricultural commodity (including non-processed foods, feed, fiber, or livestock), FMCSA recommends that the driver explain that the transportation is agricultural related. If it is determined that a driver is engaged in non-agricultural related transportation or the driver does not qualify for an agricultural exemption, FMCSA recommends that drivers use the following questions to determine if they are required to have a CDL:

1 Is the vehicle being used for a non-commercial purpose, such as taking a personally owned animal to a show and there is no underlying business related to the transportation?

If YES, a CDL is NOTrequired.

1 Does the vehicle or vehicle combination have a GVWR, GVW, GCWR or GCW (whichever is greater) of 10,001 pounds or more?

If NO, a CDL is NOTrequired.

1 Does the vehicle or vehicle combination have a GVWR, GVW, GCWR or GCW (whichever is greater) of 10,001 pounds or more, but less than 26,001 pounds?

If YES, a CDL is NOTrequired.

1 Does the vehicle or vehicle combination have a GVWR, GVW, GCWR or GCW (whichever is greater) of 26,001 pounds or more?

If YES, a CDL MAYbe required.

For more information regarding the ELD rule, visit FMCSA’s ELD webpage. Questions can be submitted to [email protected].

Updated: Wednesday, September 26, 2018

Right out of the regulations from Indiana telling you when you need a class A CDL:

When is an Indiana CDL Required

You need an Indiana CDL when you operate the following vehicles:

CLASS A – Applies only to “combination” vehicles with a Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) more than 26,000 pounds, and the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of the vehicle being towed is more than 10,000 pounds. A driver with a Class A CDL (plus any appropriate endorsements) can also operate all vehicles included in Class B, C, and D (below)

A boat being towed is considered a combination vehicle.

All states are required to, and currently comply with Federal standards.

1. You operate a combination vehicle that weighs over 26,000 lbs.

2. Read the The Agricultural Exceptions and Exemptions (I have high lighted them).

3. Look at the last yes/no.

4. Now look and see “When Indiana requires a CDL”.

5. You are in a weight class. “Class A”.

6. As such the only way to get a Class A license is to get a CDL because Indiana requires it.

Don’t believe me, Call your BMV and ask. Have you even done that??

I have and have confirmed it for you.

The number is 888-692-6841. Ask them you are pulling a personal boat with a pickup truck that has a combined weight of 32,000lbs. They will tell you need a Class A license. The only way to get a Class A license is to get a CDL.

The State issues the license for the correct class. Class D is passenger up to 16,000 lbs. Hook up a trailer more than 10,000 lbs. and now you need the proper class ratings. Which now becomes a Class A CDL license.

Law enforcement is responsible to enforce the law. They only care if you are properly licensed.

Get caught without the proper license and go directly to jail per federal law.

I absolutely have and I do not need it. Sorry, you are wrong. directly to jail? LMAO

https://www.in.gov/dor/4396.htm

Who needs a commercial driver's license?

You need a CDL if you are driving a commercial motor vehicle that:
  1. Has a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of at least 26,001 lbs.; or
  2. Is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver; or
  3. Is any size vehicle carrying hazardous materials that require placarding.
There are three classes to the CDL - Class A, Class B, and Class C.

Who does not need to get a CDL?

• Farmers (and their farm hands in the farmer’s vehicle)
  • Firefighters and operators of emergency equipment
  • Military personnel
  • Drivers of recreational vehicles for personal use, such as RVs

A personal vehicle and personal boat is not commercial and it classifies under recreation personal use. I am sorry bud, but you are wrong.

FYI, here is the DOT consulting specialty company I use:
https://www.itihq.com/

and here is their email to me on this question:

Hi Kevin,

I talked with Mike Addison. He was the DOT officer who did all of the training at your facility. He said he will be calling you, most likely tomorrow but he did say to me that since it was non-commercial personal use you were fine without the CDL License. But he was going to personally call you and verify with you. Thanks. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Norb Fehrman
Director of Sales and Marketing

ITI Corporate Headquarters
881 S. Girls School Road, Indianapolis, IN 46231
Direct Line: (317) 999-6945
Local: (317) 271-2611
Fax: (317)-203-1033

I am done arguing with you about it. However, I can check in periodically and let you know that I am not in Federal prison...
Old 11-27-2018, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Farm plates!!! Add plenty lights and tell them your a chicken farmer. 🤔
Old 11-27-2018, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Premierpower, clear out some PM's so I can send you something.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Got pulled over by DOT in front of a weight station (didn't pull pull in). I'm in a single axle 26K dump truck with KY horse council plate (38K plate), pulling a 10T tag trailer, and have a Kubota M9540 tractor on it.
DOT - Why didn't you stop?
Me - Never have
DOT - Where you going?
Me - To my fram
DOT - Framing, that's commercial
Me - I have a farm but I don't farm. I just bought the tractor

I told him, I have been filling in a hill side for 11 years and don't do any work which I receive money. I also own a track loader, dozer and backhoe and none are used for pay.

DOT - Are there any 1099 or W2's sent or received?
Me - No

DOT - What your driving sends out red flags because private individuals would not normally have them and not do some kind of work. Your truck has no markings or stickers. Your private only so you can go on your way.
Me - If I come up on a weight station again, should I pull in?
DOT - No, that would just cause more problems. You may get stopped several times before you get home

Well, I made it home and no other stops.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:34 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by AllDodge
Got pulled over by DOT in front of a weight station (didn't pull pull in). I'm in a single axle 26K dump truck with KY horse council plate (38K plate), pulling a 10T tag trailer, and have a Kubota M9540 tractor on it.
DOT - Why didn't you stop?
Me - Never have
DOT - Where you going?
Me - To my fram
DOT - Framing, that's commercial
Me - I have a farm but I don't farm. I just bought the tractor

I told him, I have been filling in a hill side for 11 years and don't do any work which I receive money. I also own a track loader, dozer and backhoe and none are used for pay.

DOT - Are there any 1099 or W2's sent or received?
Me - No

DOT - What your driving sends out red flags because private individuals would not normally have them and not do some kind of work. Your truck has no markings or stickers. Your private only so you can go on your way.
Me - If I come up on a weight station again, should I pull in?
DOT - No, that would just cause more problems. You may get stopped several times before you get home

Well, I made it home and no other stops.
OMG, you meant you're not in federal prison like the guy in this thread said would happen? LMAO
Old 01-27-2019, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 165 Likes on 65 Posts

I will through out here one more time that if you are towing and you weigh over 10,000 combined you need a medical card. The ag exemption gets us , I'm a farmer, out of the CDL but we still technically have to carry a med card. I'm not saying a cop is going to enforce that but if you catch the wrong one on the wrong day you might be in trouble or if you cause an accident and someone gets hurt you might really be in trouble. I have a CDL but all of my friends just carry a medical.
Old 02-06-2019, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need Class A license for GCVW >26000 lbs. Does not have to be CDL but basically the same test.
Need Class A license for air brakes and combination vehicle.
Since it is the same test, I decided to get a CDL.
I boat mostly on Lake Michigan and when I was taking my 47 Fountain for a test run before I bought it, the driver from the marina got stopped and ticketed for not having a CDL.
The town where the best ramp to launch a big boat is notorious for stopping drivers. That was 12 years ago and I have never been stopped but see a lot of other rigs getting ticketed. In my opinion it is just not worth the risk of driving illegally.
Old 02-06-2019, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

the driver from the marina got stopped and ticketed
Marina and driver is being paid
Old 02-06-2019, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That’s why he needed a CDL. If private only need a class A. Still illegal to drive that setup without one.
Old 02-08-2019, 11:07 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by pookie
That’s why he needed a CDL. If private only need a class A. Still illegal to drive that setup without one.
That depends on the state you are licensed in!!!!! Every state has their own rules and you follow your home state's rules.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.