Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Ideal Ford Excursion wheel/tire size >

Ideal Ford Excursion wheel/tire size

Notices

Ideal Ford Excursion wheel/tire size

Old 11-24-2018, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ideal Ford Excursion wheel/tire size

This is an engineering question. Not seeking any suggestions based on looks only, as that is very subjective.

I'll need to replace some stock wheels on my Excursion, and am also in need of tires. So, this is a very good time to consider what wheel/tire size combo is the best. I don't want to mindlessly stay with stock sizes if a better option exists.

Details:
- Want to stick with 33" diameter tires. (Stock were 31" tire, but they looked tiny in the big wheel wells.)
- Have run 285/65-16 tires for the past quarter million miles.
- Stock wheels are 16x7 (I think they are 7" wide anyway) which is a little narrow for the above tires, but has worked okay.
- This is a daily driver that sometimes sees a trailer behind it. But, when the trailer is there, I want the truck to do as well as it can as a pulling truck, without too much loss of ride comfort, tracking, or stability.
- Need to be able to get AT tires in the recommended sizes, as it does see off-road use on the farm sometimes (so commercial sizes that only have RIB tires won't work).
- Excursion weighs 8000 lbs empty, 50/50 distribution. Rear axle rated for 7000 lbs, so most tire should have loaded is 3500 lbs. Probably have never loaded it past 6000 lbs on rear axle, or 3000 lbs per tire. Don't expect to ever exceed that.
- So this isn't so much a weight question as it is a handling question.

So, what tire/wheel size combo would be ideal, and why? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 285/75R16 Hankook Dynapro ATM on my 02 F250 on the stock wheels. I like them a lot. Quiet on the road, great traction on wet ramps etc. I have over 20k on them, all heavy towing and they still look brand new.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:25 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I would recommend 18x8 or 18x9 for your truck. That will give you a lot more stability when towing, and won't be too wide in the snow and inclement weather. And I agree that 33" diameter is the perfect size for a stock powered truck that is going to do some towing.

You could go up to 20" wheels, but knowing you are coming from 16" wheels now, jumping up to a 20" wheel is going to give you a noticeably rougher ride with most tires.
16" wheels with 31" tires gives you 7.5" of sidewall
18" wheels with 33" tires gives you 7.5" of sidewall
20" wheels with 33" tires gives you only 6.5" of sidewall, and that's what's going to affect your ride, making it more harsh. You can adjust with tire pressure, but you also have to watch tire wear then, and you may find yourself jacking up tire pressure come tow weekends, but lowering it down for DD duties.

Are the stock wheels corroding to the point they won't hold air around the bead and/or valve stem? You may consider giving them an aggressive clean up, and painting them body color, black, charcoal, or bronze and using/keeping them for a winter setup with the taller, yet narrower tires. Such as setup would probably last you a good 7+ winter seasons with the right tires.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 11-26-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:02 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

01' 7.3 Ran Michelin 285s, Firestone bags, Hellwig sway bar, Rancho adjustable shocks. Pulled a 353 Fastech many miles. Worked good, the short wheelbase and mushy springs are the limiting factor.
Old 11-27-2018, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sydwayz: Yes, the stock wheels are starting to lose air around the bead, and that's not going to get any better. I was thinking there's got to be a sweet spot size-wise for new wheels and tires, and sounds like 18" is it. Agree that 20s would likely ride rougher, and not sure the better tracking from the lower sidewalls is enough to offset the harder ride in a truck that already rides rough.

Voodoo: My Excursion is set the same way, with the addition of Radius Rods to prevent rear axle spring wrap, and one ton front springs and lower jounce bumpers for more front wheel travel. It has been, and continues to be, a very good truck. Will hate the day when I finally have to replace it.

ToMorrow: I'm leaning towards Cooper Tires this time. Have run top end Bridgestone tires for past 240,000 miles, but not happy with the current set. Bought a used SUV that came with new Coopers, and they've been great. Bought same for another SUV in the family, and likewise. Granted I'll use a different tire than the SUVs do, but at half the price of the Bridgestones, I'm willing to give them a try.
Old 11-27-2018, 07:02 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I am a BIG Cooper tire fan. I’ll put them on my new truck after the lift if I can find some in the right size.

A buddy is even running Cooper Discoverer (something) tires on his equipment trailer and they are wearing better than anything else he’s tried.
Old 12-20-2018, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

I used to run 285/70/17 on my old superdutys, good compromise on ride and handling. Mounted on a 9" wide rim.