Notices

GM gashes us again!

Old 12-14-2018, 06:25 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

A lot of ships run ocean crossings on heavy oil. They swap to diesel for close quarters maneuvering. There are some diesel electrics out there but I wouldn’t say many in big cargo ships.

The navy uses a lot of steam. Nuclear power are steam driven vessels.

Tesla is supported by the government. They don’t make a profit on their own. Subsidized like crazy.
https://www.investors.com/politics/e...ubsidizing-it/

much like wind farms I think this is a fad/trend at least with current technology. As there are many other environmental impacts created other than vehicle emissions.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IGetWet
The point of electric vehicles is to get away for gasoline and being oil dependent as well as reduce emissions. Trains and ships use electric motors for the torque, not to be fuel efficient. If we still have a diesel that requires fuel as well as DEF what’s the point with the batteries? Diesels nowadays can move more than the frame, drivetrain of the truck and brakes can handle anyways.
If you could have similar performance in your truck, using half the fuel, wouldn't that be attractive? The batteries in my example are to supplement the smaller diesel engine when it's really needed, like accellorating up a hill, starting from a stop, passing. Used much like Porsche uses their hibred batteries to gain an extra few hundred horses when needed. Most of the time we don't use anywhere near max output of our engines in our pickups.

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions
A lot of ships run ocean crossings on heavy oil. They swap to diesel for close quarters maneuvering. There are some diesel electrics out there but I wouldn’t say many in big cargo ships.

Tesla is supported by the government. They don’t make a profit on their own. Subsidized like crazy.

much like wind farms I think this is a fad/trend at least with current technology. As there are many other environmental impacts created other than vehicle emissions.
My ship experience is limit to cruise ships, where some of the time I'm successful in getting the Chief Engineer to provide a quick engine room tour. The most recent one 5 years ago the ship used 2 big diesel engines to power electric generators, and had a third turbine engine which he never used. Said getting it was a mistake. A neighbor is a retired Chief Engineer from the Merchant Marine; next time I visit with him I'll ask his experience on cargo ships.

As far your comments about Tesla and wind farms, we're in agreement. Like that you sited IBD, that's a great publication.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:21 PM
Registered

This is interesting, an electric pickup from MI, expected to come out in a year or two: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/vide...cid=spartanntp
Old 12-19-2018, 04:54 AM
Registered

Received 825 Likes on 348 Posts

I wonder what it can tow for how far. With those looks robo cop might be the only one buying one.
Old 12-19-2018, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Very interested to see how the new Ram Etorque system works out. I believe it is a step in the right direction to utilize the torque of an electric motor paired with the conventional engine options. After gear reduction it adds 130 ft lbs and you can get it on the hemi, not just the v6. Does anyone on the forum have one? Interested to see how they work in real world driving situations.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:14 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Crude Intentions

All electric car manufacturers have the same subsidies available up until they manufacture 200,000 units I believe
Old 12-19-2018, 11:20 AM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Chart
This is interesting, an electric pickup from MI, expected to come out in a year or two: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/vide...cid=spartanntp
This one is already built, perfect vehicle for the property owner to patrol
perfect vehicle for the property owner to patrol
Old 02-10-2019, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Thumbs up Ford is smarter than GM!

Originally Posted by sprsptr
You may be right. If Ford has any sense, they will not mirror GM's ruthless attitude.
It seems that Ford has made a shift in plans! On Tuesday, they announced that they cancelled a 1.6 billion investment in a new plant in Mexico. Ford has instead chosen to invest 700 million to update a Michigan facility. They are augmenting this with 700 new jobs. BRAVO!
Old 02-10-2019, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 73 Likes on 33 Posts

What is the average salary of a UAW worker at a GM plant? What are the benefits and retirement package? Just generalizations please.
Old 02-10-2019, 12:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
They are putting all their eggs in 2 baskets. Chevy is going to release the newly re-designed trucks and the new mid-engine Corvette and be back on top by 2021.

Originally Posted by bossmjb
You're an idiot if this is what you think! What percentage of people buy brand new corvettes?? Maybe 3% if you are lucky!! We are heading for another recession if people do not remove their heads from their a$$. Invest in what the market and people want stop jamming electrification up our ASS$ES we are not all a bunch of tree hugging Hippie’s, what about the rural areas? what about the American farmers, truckers?? Mess around with the u.s auto market and watch the economy crumble again!!!

Sorry for the rant! This $hit pisses me off!
Hell no, it was complete sarcasm. On top of it the front of the new truck looks like a cardboard box decorated by a 5 year old. I understand they have price constraints but the new designs look horrible.

The last election clearly demonstrated that the country doesnt give a chit about the rural areas. But the rural areas had something to say about that buy coming out in force and electing Trump.

Chris Christie had a great quote the other day: "Look what this president has accomplished while being hounded and criticized by Democrats. Imagine what it would be like if they would actually work with us."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.