Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
How many miles between trans fluid changes. >

How many miles between trans fluid changes.

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BBYSTWY
  • 1 Post By liberator221
  • 1 Post By Got Cigs
  • 1 Post By TylerBurich

How many miles between trans fluid changes.

Old 12-01-2019, 11:58 AM
Registered

Default How many miles between trans fluid changes.

I mostly use my truck for towing the heavy Flat deck. How many miles between changes ? I don`t have the Asian trans on the Ram just a regular white boy trans .
Old 12-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Well its a dodge so you're phucked either way

In all honesty if you're not having issues and it still smells/looks clean and new I wouldn't mess with it...have heard tons of horror stories on dodges mostly older ones like my old tow pig that start slipping and/or completely go out after trans servicing....DO NOT ever get it flushed...fluid change and filter at most IMO...I think a lot of manufacturers are going really high mileage before changes nowadays...50+ thousand...I check mine at every oil change which as little as I drive it is once a year and it always looks new and doesn't smell burnt. I have 102K on it and its been changed once in its life because of a failed solenoid in the trans that required pulling the pan. I pull a gooseneck full of hay, the little Nordic, and 2 full size trucks on a gooseneck a few times a year with it so it gets a workout when I do use it.
ICDEDPPL likes this.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:41 PM
Registered

If towing a lot I would do 30k-40k. If it doesn’t have a torque converter drain have it flushed, then drop the pan and change the filter. How I do it. Just my opinion. Never owned a Dodge though.
ICDEDPPL likes this.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Regular trans filter and fluid change can never hurt, and no need to flush it when changing regularly. I think it was a little more critical on the older dodges as opposed to the newer ones, with the 6spd trans. Id go with annually or every 25k miles, which ever comes first. Invest in a pan with a drain plug, makes it much cleaner and easier. I have an 06 Ram with 48RE trans that I do annually. I only use for towing boat or running around for home improvements, its not my DD. I might put 6k miles on it per year. JMO.
ICDEDPPL likes this.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:41 AM
Registered

X2 on the pan with a drain plug. The 48re in my old 06 cummins would need the bands adjusted every 30k so I bought a Mag Hytec pan to make draining and changing filter easier. With your 68rfe I would do a pan with drain plug and change it every 25k, you don't necessarily need to change the filter that often but they are cheap. The 68rfe is really good at cooking transmission fluid.
ICDEDPPL likes this.