Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Must have options for a trailer build. >

Must have options for a trailer build.

Notices

Must have options for a trailer build.

Old 02-23-2020, 07:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
2 piece winch stand with V-catch
critical
Old 02-23-2020, 08:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 365 Likes on 244 Posts

I happened to back in a kind of shallow ramp and needed to back so much so the boat could float, my Electric pump for the hydraulic brake was partially in water, fresh water by the way. Needed 1 new 1500$ pump a year the last 2 years. Pump was mounted equal to the bottom of the frame. I will move it forward and higher this year cause this is gonna be hopefully my third and last 1500$ pump...
myco trailer by the way
Old 02-24-2020, 06:11 AM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

I was going to say at least good tires and at least 16 G Load are a must. LED LIGHTING and EOH. I also like having dual tongue jacks in the front for piece of mind.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What the difference between EOH disc vs electric drums? Substantial?
Old 02-24-2020, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 158 Likes on 77 Posts

Electric brakes and water don’t mix well. When they get wet, sit, then get hot, sit and get wet, they tend to stop working. Fairly quickly. EOH. Electric impulse Works a pump and that pump pressurized the hydraulic lines for the calipers. Very Reliable. I have Kodiaks on my Past 3 trailers.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by ENERGIZED
What the difference between EOH disc vs electric drums? Substantial?
Yes night and day difference. I was shocked when I first towed with EOH Disc. Even bigger difference than electric are to surge. Once you own EOH you will wonder how anything else is legal on larger trailers
Old 02-28-2020, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-28-2020, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the above and back up lights. Not mentioned is all aluminum, big C channel sections for strength, totally welded, over sized axles and tires.
Old 02-29-2020, 08:18 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default trailer

Consider a driver guard assembly with lots of lights! You can make 'em swingable or removable.

This one swings open.

This one has a removable cross beam.
Old 02-29-2020, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

ALWAYS BUILD A TRAILER FOR A BOAT LARGER THAN WHAT YOU HAVE NOW....

With that being said, DEMAND Kodiak Calipers and Disc Hat over Hub brakes. All of the Kodiak calipers are derivatives of GM car brakes and will allow you to buy lifetime warranty ceramic pads from your favorite auto parts house as well as pins, seals and pistons. When you have a brake failure... you do not want to have to wait a week or pay more for next day shipping for a $30 rebuild kit at Autozone. If you do have a caliper failure ever, removing the disc hat will save your hub to get you home.

Buy Mac's Tie-Downs and NOTHING ELSE to secure your boat to the trailer. Get their Y-strap for the bow and their flat-hook straps for the stern.

Tire Tie Down Y-Strap

Ratchet Strap w/ Flat Snap Hook, Flat Hook or wire Hook

I do not like welded trailers as ALL of them after some time, even my Myco under the 43' Scarab AVS, will eventually begin to crack if you travel a lot and dunk your boat at a ramp. Having adjustable bunk mounts on 2" square tubing with extruded HD mounts will give you a lot of options to perfectly load your boat.

DO NOT THRU-BOLT THE BUNKS. Start with a 5/16" stainless lag screw from the bottom and monitor them over time. They will tell you when the bunks are starting to let go... then replace the loose ones with 3/8" screws. After those begin to fall, its time to replace the bunks, not do gelcoat repairs because your bunks just one day came loose while loading/launching and that bolt caused damage.

I've learned a lot about trailers in over one-million miles of hauling boats Nationwide for a living. I learned fast what doesn't work and unfortunately most boat buyers will spare no expense with a boat survey while never considering the same investment to be assured the trailer is roadworthy.