Notices

Trailer tires?

Old 02-23-2021, 05:29 PM
  #11  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (6)
 
F-2 Speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest & T-Rock
Posts: 9,296
Received 1,933 Likes on 879 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Metalguy38 View Post
They are actually 16.5” wheels.

what prompted this post was the fact that multiple tire dealers told me they couldn’t get tires and the ones that could are over $200 each for the Transforce. I’m told it’s because it’s 16.5”

im waiting on a few quotes on tires and wheel packages. Yours looks real sharp Speedy!
I had 16.5 also odball size, switched to the 16

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 02-24-2021 at 08:40 AM.
F-2 Speedy is offline  
Old 02-23-2021, 05:59 PM
  #12  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lake Ozark
Posts: 107
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by underpsi68 View Post
holy cow man, I don’t need to argue. Do you see “all” in quotations!??
Metalguy38 is offline  
Old 02-23-2021, 06:18 PM
  #13  
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Sydwayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 23,507
Received 763 Likes on 333 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Metalguy38 View Post
They are actually 16.5” wheels.

what prompted this post was the fact that multiple tire dealers told me they couldn’t get tires and the ones that could are over $200 each for the Transforce. I’m told it’s because it’s 16.5”

im waiting on a few quotes on tires and wheel packages. Yours looks real sharp Speedy!
Yeah, 16.5 is a real oddball now.
Look into a wheel/tire package from here:
https://www.tredittire.com/

I always carry two spares now too, especially for a triple axle trailer.
IF I had 16.5s, the main reason I'd go to 16" wheels is it is WAY easier to find a 16" tire that is round, black, and holds air in an emergency, than a 16.5".

FWIW, when I didn't have a spare, and needed to make a trip (borrowed a buddy's brand new enclosed car trailer for a 3 state trip once), I bought an off the shelf wheel and tire from Tractor Supply, and chucked it in the trailer. I kept the receipt, and returned it unused.

Sydwayz is offline  
Old 02-23-2021, 06:54 PM
  #14  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Solana Beach,CA
Posts: 874
Likes: 0
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Guys, ALL 16" tires are crap these days. Heavy load, 3 axle, tight turn or backing up and a tight turn rips the tread from the casing. Then a few miles down the road ka blam. There goes the stainless fender or some paint off the boat. Ive posted about this is the past. I went with 17.5 s on all my trailers 4 years ago. I have dump trailers, tilt deck lowbed trailers, specialty equipment trailers and a 3 axle gooseneck for my 400SS. NOT one failure in 4 years! These are not cheap I bought 22 tires and wheels as I became fed up with tires blowing up. There are custom wheels now available so the 17.5's are not so ugly. They run 120 psi and the sidewalls are tough. They are a commercial lowbed tire. The overall height is about the same as a 16.
fossil fuel is offline  
The following 2 users liked this post by fossil fuel:
Metalguy38 (02-24-2021), TylerBurich (10-12-2021)
Old 02-23-2021, 06:58 PM
  #15  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (6)
 
F-2 Speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest & T-Rock
Posts: 9,296
Received 1,933 Likes on 879 Posts
Default

MG-38 your inbox is full
F-2 Speedy is offline  
Old 02-23-2021, 09:53 PM
  #16  
Registered
 
bajaholic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: 20.5 mm LOTO
Posts: 910
Received 195 Likes on 79 Posts
Default

The 16.5 is why I asked the question on size. The older Myco's had those, now everyone has crossed over to the 16's. Look at a number of the trailer tire wheel packages. It may be less expensive to cross over to the 16's. Especially in the long run. If you need to get a tire on the road, almost all the places carry 16's, very few 16.5 anymore. And lets be honest, at some point your going to have to cross over anyway...


Last edited by bajaholic; 02-23-2021 at 09:57 PM.
bajaholic is offline  
Old 02-24-2021, 08:36 AM
  #17  
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
iTrader: (6)
 
F-2 Speedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Midwest & T-Rock
Posts: 9,296
Received 1,933 Likes on 879 Posts
Default

M G 38 heres the links I tried to pm you but your inbox is full

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SINGLE-16-X....c100290.m3507
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Firestone-T....c100290.m3507

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 02-24-2021 at 10:32 AM.
F-2 Speedy is offline  
Old 02-24-2021, 09:08 AM
  #18  
Forum Regulator
VIP Member
iTrader: (1)
 
Sydwayz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Worldwide
Posts: 23,507
Received 763 Likes on 333 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by fossil fuel View Post
Guys, ALL 16" tires are crap these days. Heavy load, 3 axle, tight turn or backing up and a tight turn rips the tread from the casing. Then a few miles down the road ka blam. There goes the stainless fender or some paint off the boat. Ive posted about this is the past. I went with 17.5 s on all my trailers 4 years ago. I have dump trailers, tilt deck lowbed trailers, specialty equipment trailers and a 3 axle gooseneck for my 400SS. NOT one failure in 4 years! These are not cheap I bought 22 tires and wheels as I became fed up with tires blowing up. There are custom wheels now available so the 17.5's are not so ugly. They run 120 psi and the sidewalls are tough. They are a commercial lowbed tire. The overall height is about the same as a 16.
I agree with you that 17.5" tires are a viable option. However, they are CONSIDERABLY heavier than a 16" tire. This is of note because additional rotating mass is rougher on trailer suspensions, and can cause increased stopping distances.
This all needs to be taken into account when weighing options on whether to upgrade or not.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 02-25-2021 at 08:31 AM.
Sydwayz is offline  
Old 02-24-2021, 09:30 AM
  #19  
Registered
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Solana Beach,CA
Posts: 874
Likes: 0
Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts
Default

Yep All that is true. Some pics of tire height. There seems to be about 13 +- pounds difference? 48 vs 61.



fossil fuel is offline  
Old 02-24-2021, 01:31 PM
  #20  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Lake Ozark
Posts: 107
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sydwayz View Post
I agree with you that 17.5" tires are a viable option. However, they are CONSIDERABLY heavier than a 16" tire. This is of note because additional rotating mass is rougher on trailer suspensions, and can cause increased stopping distances.
This all needs to taken into account when weighing options on whether to upgrade or not.
i agree with your point but hailing with a 1 ton dually shouldn’t even notice this extra rotational mass... I haul 20k# horse trailer rig all the time, no big deal for a 13,000# boat and trailer.
Metalguy38 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.