Notices

Trailer tires?

Old 02-24-2021, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Anyone running a 235/85 on 16”?

I forgot we had switched a horse rig from aluminum wheels to steel. I have (5) nearly new 16” aluminum wheels mounted to Transforce. My sister in law had them at her barn!! Forgot all about ut
Old 02-25-2021, 09:31 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 594 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalguy38 View Post
Anyone running a 235/85 on 16”?

I forgot we had switched a horse rig from aluminum wheels to steel. I have (5) nearly new 16” aluminum wheels mounted to Transforce. My sister in law had them at her barn!! Forgot all about ut
Yes, that is the MOST common size.
The following users liked this post:
Metalguy38 (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 09:33 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 594 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by Metalguy38 View Post
i agree with your point but hailing with a 1 ton dually shouldn’t even notice this extra rotational mass... I haul 20k# horse trailer rig all the time, no big deal for a 13,000# boat and trailer.
Just remember that spindles, bearings, axle seals, and even the brake lines (which is what broke on mine years ago) are going to have a "harder life" due to the additional rotating mass; mainly due to bumps when driving at speed.
The following users liked this post:
Metalguy38 (02-25-2021)
Old 03-01-2021, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

F-2 Speedy thanks for sharing this links! You purchased from both of those sellers righ?
Old 03-01-2021, 01:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,401 Likes on 650 Posts

Originally Posted by tbev View Post
F-2 Speedy thanks for sharing this links! You purchased from both of those sellers righ?
Yes, thats whats on my trailer
Old 03-01-2021, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, looks great!
Old 03-01-2021, 04:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 705 Likes on 246 Posts

just me, but after towing with a 14 ply I would never touch an LT tire again, the sidewall stiffness is amazing, I have the gladiators on both my myco trailers and love it.. no more bouncing at expansion joints, and the tires slide better in turns and dont buckle the sidewall.
Old 10-12-2021, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 8 Posts

Came across this searching for something else and Ill put in my experience.
Trailer tires suck.
I have switched all my trailers to E load rated truck tires and ALL of my trailer tire problems disappeared. Trailer tires are not speed rater for how must of us tow on the interstate. They do not meet the same DOT safety standards as passenger tires, and they generally cost more.
Ive pulled tandem axle trailers in circles and never had an issue with the bead.

Just bought a boat with a triple axle and the guy put brand new Carlisle junk on it. Literally 6 brand new tires Ill be selling.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:06 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 286 Likes on 134 Posts

Im w Offshore- after a tread separation on my E tires coming back from LOTO I put 14ply on and will never look back.
Old 11-19-2021, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Demeanor View Post
Came across this searching for something else and Ill put in my experience.
Trailer tires suck.
I have switched all my trailers to E load rated truck tires and ALL of my trailer tire problems disappeared. Trailer tires are not speed rater for how must of us tow on the interstate. They do not meet the same DOT safety standards as passenger tires, and they generally cost more.
Ive pulled tandem axle trailers in circles and never had an issue with the bead.

Just bought a boat with a triple axle and the guy put brand new Carlisle junk on it. Literally 6 brand new tires Ill be selling.
I recently had to go to F from E as the tight radius turn into and out of my driveway kills the inner front and rear (of 3). Twists the hell out of them and tears the tread blocks and sidewalls. Load F are more like tractor trailer type construction and should cope better with the twist and only weight 6 lbs. more each., prices were comparable with E's for Copart's. Hopefully they slide instead like big rig trailer tires do.