Notices

Maine registration issue

Old 06-02-2021, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Maine trailer tag

Maryland law states that you have to have a towing vehicle and a trailer with Maryland tags before you can register a second trailer out of state. That makes a lot of sense???
Old 06-02-2021, 11:54 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

The other Maine loophole is the ME trailer reg places make themselves your trailer’s power of attorney, giving your registration your name but also Maine address.

So, more complicating for the other state to know what the real law is. Lol.
The following users liked this post:
sonicss42 (06-02-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 887 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
Since 2013 my boat trailer has been registered in Maine. Today I was stopped by aNew York state Trooper. Insisted it was not legal for me as a NY resident and issued me a ticket for no registration. I have had Maine registration since 2013 and never been stopped. I know that many boaters have their trailers registered in Maine.. Have any others been ticketed and what were the results.
Thanks

Padraig

1. Be sure to tell him that you know your rights!
2. At the traffic stop be sure to mention you are a member of a sovereign nation and do not recognize his authority
3. Start video taping, get Ben Crump on speed dial fast!
4. Tell him Trump got things right and because he had blue lights he must be a Biden supporter
5. Mention you feel you were profiled for the traffic stop, if you were black you certainly wouldn't have been pulled over.

Please report back how this goes next time! On the trailer issue, I have no idea.
Quinlan (06-03-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve always had my Maine plates in NY as well, and was unsure on the legal to it. My idea was to sell my trailer to my brother in-law for $1 and have him register it in Maine. Then I would be using a borrowed/rented trailer that was registered by the owner out of state. Not sure if that’s allowed but create another layer of protection for myself.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:54 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiter Sunsation
1. Be sure to tell him that you know your rights!
2. At the traffic stop be sure to mention you are a member of a sovereign nation and do not recognize his authority
3. Start video taping, get Ben Crump on speed dial fast!
4. Tell him Trump got things right and because he had blue lights he must be a Biden supporter
5. Mention you feel you were profiled for the traffic stop, if you were black you certainly wouldn't have been pulled over.

Please report back how this goes next time! On the trailer issue, I have no idea.
I know my rights Got-dagnet!

Wally (06-04-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

It's 100% legal! Do you think these big shipping companies with hundreds of trailers on the road with Maine plates are stupid? They aren't risking being stopped every other day losing time in the process and being fined!
Old 06-03-2021, 10:56 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

I wouldn`t lay over and play dead , get an attorney and let him do some work. Don`t give the state any money or make em feel like this is okay.
Old 06-03-2021, 11:38 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

This is interesting:
http://www.old.dangeroustrailers.org..._Off.html#2804

Esoecially Delaware. They get mad about trailers and car reg’s in Maine, but yet Delaware lets out if state corporations to have shells companies in Delaware to save tremendously on taxes and etc.

Interesting state vs state screwings. Lol.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Well, last week I mailed the ticker to the town court with a plea of guilty and a letter of explanation and a copy of my new NY registration. I also asked for lienecy. Low and behold the fine was zero but he had to hit me with a NY surcharge. Not too bad and cheaper then an attorney. Besides I am too old to waste time in court.

Padraig
underpsi68 (06-07-2021)
Old 06-10-2021, 06:37 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most, if not all states require that after 30 days being a resident you must change you license and registrations to that state. That being said it's 100% up to the discretion of the cop. Most cops don't worry about it. I know for a fact every so often MD will do a "sting" and specifically target trailers with Maine tags. If the trailer registration doesn't match your drivers license they will issue you a ticket. As said before it's a $$$$ thing. It's a BIG money maker for Maine. Tractor trailers are commercial. That's a whole nother ballgame.
boatnt (06-10-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.