Notices

Maine registration issue

Old 05-22-2021, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Maine registration issue

Since 2013 my boat trailer has been registered in Maine. Today I was stopped by aNew York state Trooper. Insisted it was not legal for me as a NY resident and issued me a ticket for no registration. I have had Maine registration since 2013 and never been stopped. I know that many boaters have their trailers registered in Maine.. Have any others been ticketed and what were the results.
Thanks

Padraig
Old 05-23-2021, 05:48 AM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts

Where do you store the trailer?
Old 05-23-2021, 06:08 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 628 Likes on 289 Posts

It's a sticky wicket. TECHNICALLY speaking, in many states one is SUPPOSED to have the boat/trailer registered/tagged out of the state they have their primary residence. It is very common in Kansas for example to have a boat or camper registered in Oklahoma or Missouri, especially if that is where the lake/location one uses the boat/camper at is located.
A friend of mine (who happens to be a cop) recently went through what you did...had a trailer registered/tagged out of Arkansas, got pulled over for having a flickering tail light, and then the trooper proceeded to read my friend the Riot Act. Only "professional courtesy" got my friend out of a ticket that night.
I am not sure of all the details of NY state registration but I did find this:

Old 05-23-2021, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Helmwurst, Trailer stored in NY

Bajaman, boat trailer not boat.

Thanks,

Padraig
Old 05-23-2021, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 295 Likes on 159 Posts

That’s weird, as long as the trailer is registered why would the officer care? My boat and trailer are both registered in Montana and I live in Florida and have never had an issue.
Old 05-23-2021, 03:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

It has a license plate though? A Maine license plate? Is it titled?

Just curious as having went through some weird stuff selling my 208. Kansas no longer titles boats, they title trailers...odd as hell to me but oh well. So, long story short, I'd never had a title for my trailer...not in 29 years. Kansas used to title BOATS not trailers but have changed 180 degrees. Anyway, so the guy brokering my boat was like, "This is a big problem, if the buyer is from Kansas/registering the boat out of Kansas, it must have a trailer title. If no title, only option is to get a 'quiet title' and that costs a thousand bucks. Best bet is to sell to an out of state buyer". Which I did. It just brought up the whole weird stuff with trailers...sorry for the rambling. So you actually got a ticket?

Old 05-24-2021, 05:33 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
Since 2013 my boat trailer has been registered in Maine. Today I was stopped by aNew York state Trooper. Insisted it was not legal for me as a NY resident and issued me a ticket for no registration. I have had Maine registration since 2013 and never been stopped. I know that many boaters have their trailers registered in Maine.. Have any others been ticketed and what were the results.
Thanks

Padraig
It's all about the benjamins. If you have it registered out of state, your state "misses" out on the taxes. Here in VA there are state sales taxes and local county "Personal Property" taxes each year. I won't get into the BS side of all this, but that's what it's really about. The cop hassling you is being nothing more than a revenue man. Nothing to do with "Protect and Serve". He's right in most states though.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 407 Likes on 241 Posts

[/QUOTE]
Missouri laws are very similar to NY on watercraft registration. You can have an out of state boat/Documented on the waters of MO for 60-90 days, cant remember the exact, then you have to purchase a state sticker. I used to be a Kansas resident before full time at LOTO. Had a documented boat out of Kansas, but also had to but a MO state sticker because boat was kept at LOTO. Call your DMV, they might help.
Old 05-24-2021, 06:23 PM
Registered

Received 4,322 Likes on 1,241 Posts
Angry

Blue state trying to F uck you as usual.
The following 3 users liked this post by ICDEDPPL:
endeavor1 (05-24-2021), kaje (06-12-2021), SB (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 07:18 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I guess I don't understand why a cop would pull one over unless there wasn't a tag on the trailer? To even KNOW it was registered in another state? And does Maine not require tags on trailers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.