Notices

Will Insurance Cover This?

Old 01-02-2023, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Will Insurance Cover This?

Read all the time on here about pulling an overloaded trailer and how insurance will not cover if you cause an accident. I have a friend who is an insurance adjuster and would tell me stories and then wrap them up with insurance covers stupid. Well here is a story of a truck that was overloaded and the frame broke in half. Ram of course. The owner expected Ram to cover it, they denied the claim stating vehicle overloaded. Now the guy is filing an insurance claim. Will insurance cover it? What is difference from overloaded trailer. Sounds stupid to me, but that's what insurance covers apparently. Just wondering the thoughts of everyone. I don't know what the outcome will be or if we will ever find out. Kinda just wanted to post something to show these pics.

​​​​​​https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/auto...fe0fc3#image=1
Old 01-03-2023, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

Those large truck campers weigh around 5000#. That is a lot of weight to put in the bed of a pickup. I am surprised there was enough weight on the front end to steer. I suspect there will be a long fight between the owner, Ram, insurance and the camper manufacturer.
Old 01-03-2023, 09:22 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I've talked about this in the past. Cargo and towing and GCWRs that are posted are ALWAYS the lightest, simplest, empty trucks.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-03-2023 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Mistake in my content
The following users liked this post:
Wildman_grafix (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 10:41 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I've talked about this in the past. Cargo and towing and GCWRs that are posted are ALWAYS the lightest, simplest, empty trucks.
Then you get the above truck and load it with a camper should at the very least be in an 8' bed, and you turn the rear axle of the truck into the fulcrum of a teeter-totter; with two fat kids on either end. Eventually the teeter-totter is going to break.
That is what always gets me with ratings on half ton trucks, people thing the max towing is what all of them can do. If you dig into I think it was Ford I was looking at that even said with a 150 LB driver, and again 2WD, XL level trim etc.

On this one why the heck you would have done a short bed doesn't make any sense, that thing had to be a hand full driving.
Sydwayz (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 417 Likes on 246 Posts

Not that it would be right, but wouldn't the long bed have less capacity?
Old 01-03-2023, 11:40 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
That is what always gets me with ratings on half ton trucks, people thing the max towing is what all of them can do. If you dig into I think it was Ford I was looking at that even said with a 150 LB driver, and again 2WD, XL level trim etc.

On this one why the heck you would have done a short bed doesn't make any sense, that thing had to be a hand full driving.
I know the article states short bed, but that bent truck is a long bed
Old 01-03-2023, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 289 Likes on 167 Posts

I thought the purpose of insurance was to cover stupidity? Unfortunately.
If you run a red light (hopefully by accident, or ideally not at all), that's kinda the same thing as accidentally overloading the vehicle.

If your intention was to defraud the insurance company for a new truck, then that would be 1. not covered 2. illegal.
if you did at least SOME research and bought the truck, and camper thing, and a company installed them, or you did, to the best of your knowledge, and this occurred, I would expect insurance to cover it.

Generally Insurance, (from what I've read of my policy) wouldn't cover things that are illegal. Was putting that camper on the truck illegal or just misinformed consumer?

I'm going to side with the consumer on this one. I'd fault the company that put the camper on the truck. They should know better, and their insurance should be covering it.

Old 01-03-2023, 01:51 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 947 Likes on 476 Posts

Lawyers will also include the installing dealer in the lawsuit (assuming the camper mfg didn't install it) its gonna get ugly fast! depending on how good the customer is with the Ins company, they may just settle with him and go after everyone else to get their money back

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-03-2023, 02:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Read the last section of the following link:

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...p-1200-review/

The above review is based on Eagle Cap’s largest model.

A 4500-series may have been a better bet but then again we do not know which model this one is exactly.

My thought is that the seller of the camper is at fault.
SB (01-03-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 03:06 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by TomZ
Read the last section of the following link:

https://www.truckcampermagazine.com/...p-1200-review/

The above review is based on Eagle Cap’s largest model.

A 4500-series may have been a better bet but then again we do not know which model this one is exactly.

My thought is that the seller of the camper is at fault.
That things huge. Wow.

About 2/3rds way down the article gets into weight. And there is a lot of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.