Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Heads up: modern CUMMINS truck owners... >

Heads up: modern CUMMINS truck owners...

Notices

Heads up: modern CUMMINS truck owners...

Old 01-15-2024, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 504 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Washington DC and the surrounding VA & MD counties have emissions inspections, every 2 years. California does similar.
I dealt with it for years when I lived up there. But now I am out in the country and we only have yearly safety inspections.

But be aware, that this is not an emissions inspection on your Cummins. They are plain and simple making you provide proof that the dealer recall has been done before you get your new plates.
It's way different here on all of that. No safety inspections needed ever and you could have a coal fired vehicle and they would never know. I asked a friend that works for the court clerk dept that handles vehicle titlling and renewals and he said this is something they will never do due to the no emissions / inspections requirement in place. All they want is proof of insurance when renewing.
Old 01-15-2024, 02:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Same here in OK. No inspections. They ask color of vehicle and milage and that is it.
I just tagged the H1 from Military, and I said Green lol. Now we can get 2 yr tags also,
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (04-16-2024)
Old 01-15-2024, 03:01 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

I am surprised that Cummins did this, like it or not the EPA isn't going away. I see it in my industry all the time, companies trying to ignore the emission laws and next thing you know they are under a consent degree.

This isn't much different then how Mercury if they find a tune gets turned in, the OEM's trying to lock down the ECM code etc.

I guess we will have to figure out how to hot rod electric motors

Old 01-15-2024, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 59 Likes on 32 Posts

I sure hope their fix is better than VW’s. Since the “Reprogram” updated emissions on TDI’s they are piles. Mines been in the shop every other week going on 2-months.

Ride it out as long as you can or unload the truck.
Old 01-16-2024, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 195 Likes on 102 Posts

All NJ inspects is emissions. New vehicles get a 5 yr pass, after that it is every 2 yrs
Old 01-16-2024, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sonicss42
Couple of questions. 1. How does Cummins stay in business if they actually pay the 2 billion dollar fine?
2. If Cummins really did what they are accused of, have they netted 2 billion dollars from the actions?
3. WTF is the EPA actually going to use the 2 billion dollars for and where is the accountability for it?

So you renewed in 2024 to get to 2027, make sense but you are going to try to renew again in 2025 to get to 2028? I may be interpreting your statement wrong. Sorry.
1) A $2 billion fine is nothing for a Fortune 500 company like Cummins. Their annual revenue last year was over $33 billion. In fact, VW is still in business after Dieselgate and all the fines, buybacks, and other financial settlements they ended up shelling out $33 billion for that as well.

3) I know for fact that a portion of the fine money was used to subsidize repowering and updating the emission equipment on diesel mining and construction equipment, especially in California.
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/prog...ust-california
Old 01-19-2024, 10:00 AM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

For as bad as Hellinois is there is no emissions on Diesels bt that seems like the usual Government over reach, since the democrats went almost full Communist it makes sense.
Old 04-15-2024, 11:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EPA is out of control. New standards coming in 2027 for heavy on highway semis etc. Cummins has said it will add 20 to 25G to the price of a new semi. Crazy