Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Any Dodge Cummins heads around ? >

Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Notices

Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Old 03-10-2005, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
lift pump from a dealer is 6-700, reman'd with exchange are 225, and i found a source for brand new ones at 195 no exchange...
That is a screw-job in action. Go to a Case dealer like mentioned above and I think they can be bought in the low 100's. FASS and Preperator seem to me like the exact same thing with a different name. Like stated before, the two companies are at each others throat, (all a family ordeal) but they seem to do a very good job of mantaining fuel pressure at WOT. The fuel filters are a breeze to change as well.
If you don't want to spend the money for the FASS, go to Diesel Dynamics or BD Power and check out their pusher pump and fuel line kits.

Corey
Old 03-10-2005, 05:47 PM
Registered

Or just call Boot.....
He'll tell ya some info...
Old 03-10-2005, 06:07 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

It's just a fuel pump! When my lift pump went out, it was suggested that I look at the Fass system. For the price that they wanted, I could replace the lift pump twice! From the dealer! No thanks. You asked. Please don't beat me up!
Old 03-10-2005, 06:25 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Re: Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Being as we're on the discussion of the Cummins, I have a quick question. Air box related.
When I purchased the truck the dealer popped the hood and showed me a few things. One thing he pointed out was the fancy air filter gauge to tell me when it was time to change the filter.
I was wondering if these things are known to fallout on their own,(as mine is now missing) and now with a 1 inch open hole in the side of my airbox, how will it affect the truck?
I had an oil change done only once and it was by the dealer. They are the only ones that have ever been under the hood and that was the last time I had the hood up until this week when I decided to wash the winter salt out of the engine compartment.
I was considering the aftermarket air filters, but until then, I was wondering if any damage can be done with this open hole.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-10-2005, 06:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
Just purchased a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 Cummins with 59,000 miles and in magnificent shape. I've driven a few of them and never noticed this before. While at highway speeds if i drop the hammer she has no power above 23-2500 rpm's. Its almost like its running out of gear, but if i back off throttle and let her shift outta 3rd and back into overdrive she'll pick up speed . I work for a dealer and drove a 99 Ram with the cummins and it pulled strong to redline. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I had the same problem on my 02 , It got worse & worse but did not do all the time . It was the fuel pump !
Old 03-10-2005, 08:27 PM
Registered

After Your All Set There

Slap Some Propane To That Baby!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:33 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Should replace it, or at least cover the hole as it is post filter. I believe they just push in, so I could see how one could fall out. It's not a really critical piece as that filter will be dirty long before the filter minder moves much.

Originally Posted by sharkeymarine
Being as we're on the discussion of the Cummins, I have a quick question. Air box related.
When I purchased the truck the dealer popped the hood and showed me a few things. One thing he pointed out was the fancy air filter gauge to tell me when it was time to change the filter.
I was wondering if these things are known to fallout on their own,(as mine is now missing) and now with a 1 inch open hole in the side of my airbox, how will it affect the truck?
I had an oil change done only once and it was by the dealer. They are the only ones that have ever been under the hood and that was the last time I had the hood up until this week when I decided to wash the winter salt out of the engine compartment.
I was considering the aftermarket air filters, but until then, I was wondering if any damage can be done with this open hole.
Old 03-11-2005, 01:15 PM
Registered

Cord ,
You must have a fuel pressure gauge on your truck then right ? You can see the stock lift pumps can barely keep up with the volume it takes to keep the VP from starving. I know the FASS and others are just another electric pump that can fail just like the stock stuff BUT at least the FASS can keep up with the VP. I already had one VP warrantied and don't want to pay for another. The $475 for the FASS which supposedly is used on some of the big rigs was cheap insurance. Now of couse they come out with that new mechanical pump , now that's probably the way to go.
I've had friends try those pusher pumps and they eventually failed too.
Are you done snowmobiling ? I hopefully can head up to Mitch's next weekend. I'm hoping to get another 3 rides in. Even if I have to head to Canada !
Old 03-11-2005, 02:31 PM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Cord
Should replace it, or at least cover the hole as it is post filter. I believe they just push in, so I could see how one could fall out. It's not a really critical piece as that filter will be dirty long before the filter minder moves much.
Thanks Cord!

Dealer says they have never seen one fall out. Then I asked it to be covered under warranty and he says it's hard to warranty something that they don't have a part to return back. As I then explained to him that their dealership has been the only ones under the hood for 1 oil change, he suggested to bring it in and discuss it with the manager. Also he suggested to close it off as well.

Nothing like having to slap duct tape on a $43,000 truck.

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 03-11-2005, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

well got mine back today..guages all installed ...temp peak approx 650, boost peak approx 28, and fuel pressure at idle 12-13...under heavy accel at top of rpm drops to almost 5-6 (good or not ?) and as far as the condition i explained to them...tech couldnt verify customers complaint.

Quick Reply: Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.