Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Any Dodge Cummins heads around ? >

Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Notices

Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Old 03-09-2005, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Question Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Just purchased a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 Cummins with 59,000 miles and in magnificent shape. I've driven a few of them and never noticed this before. While at highway speeds if i drop the hammer she has no power above 23-2500 rpm's. Its almost like its running out of gear, but if i back off throttle and let her shift outta 3rd and back into overdrive she'll pick up speed . I work for a dealer and drove a 99 Ram with the cummins and it pulled strong to redline. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:21 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

there was a rear gear option in those years, do the two trucks have the same rears? Has the 30K trans maintenance been done? I had a 2001 with a diable puck, best truck I ever owned. Only problem I ever had was the trans and after the service it was perfect. Best truck I ever owned. sold it with 42K.
Old 03-09-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered

i'm having a dealer we do business with look at it tomorrow AM. was told to have them check fuel pressure (may have a weak lift pump). i just installed an AFE stage 2 intake, with a 4inch mandrel bent exhaust from turbo back. i have the edge comp box under back seat not yet installed. dont wanna put it in til i get this condition taken care of. trans juice looks and smells fine ? unsure if it was ever service but i may have them do it tomorrow and also wanna look into shift kit as well...THANKS
PS- will also have them find out what rear is in it

Last edited by berns29scarab; 03-09-2005 at 03:42 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-09-2005, 03:50 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

call the dealer with the VIN and they can tell you over the phone what rear end is in it. Can also tell you if all the services have been done.

doesn't sound like a tranny issue to me....
Old 03-09-2005, 03:55 PM
Registered

i'll give you another for instance...if you take off from a light with pedal to floor, as soon as the rpms get into 2500 range it just falls on its face, which it also does as it runs through the gears. if i let off pedal and allow it to shift into over drive she'll continue to pick up speed
Old 03-09-2005, 06:49 PM
Registered

Sounds like the lift pump is going. Ck out the Turbo Diesel Registry on a search and they will have all the answers to your problems. It is a great site for the turbo diesels. Dwight
Old 03-09-2005, 06:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
i'll give you another for instance...if you take off from a light with pedal to floor, as soon as the rpms get into 2500 range it just falls on its face, which it also does as it runs through the gears. if i let off pedal and allow it to shift into over drive she'll continue to pick up speed
I have a year 2000, 2500 which has all the mods available in 2000. Turbo, computer, injectors, exhaust, shift kit, etc. Tranny redone at 60,000 mi. (oil line pin hole and ran low on fluid) Now has 90,000 miles and has been acting the same way. It starts hesitating and falling off above 2500 rpm. I don't remember it doing this anytime before +/- 70,000 miles. It pulls like crazy in the 1500 to 2200 rpm range. I am thinking it might be a fuel delivery problem. It has been bugging me for a while, I just haven't done anything about it. I am wondering if it could be the begining of the end of the injection pump? Filter was changed about 15,000 ago.

Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by berns29scarab
Just purchased a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4X4 Cummins with 59,000 miles and in magnificent shape. I've driven a few of them and never noticed this before. While at highway speeds if i drop the hammer she has no power above 23-2500 rpm's. Its almost like its running out of gear, but if i back off throttle and let her shift outta 3rd and back into overdrive she'll pick up speed .

I have the same truck year and all. At about 30k I started to have similar problems. The dealer replaced the speed sensor and have 131k on it now. No problems as of yet.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered

I am wondering if it could be the beginning of the end of the injection pump?

Kirk, from what I'm told by many tuners and diesel tech's when the injection pump fails it stops all together with no signs.
Old 03-09-2005, 08:50 PM
Registered

there are 2 pumps on these trucks...lift pump gets fuel to injection pump...the only reason the injection pumps go is fi the lift pump fails

Quick Reply: Any Dodge Cummins heads around ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.