Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Realisticly >

Realisticly

Notices

Realisticly

Old 03-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you have the luxury of upgrading power and still keeping your stock engines to put back in the boat for resale?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:26 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ThruHull
Do you have the luxury of upgrading power and still keeping your stock engines to put back in the boat for resale?
No more than I will get for them, I'd say that is a resonable option. I checked with Leon Derebery he said around $2000.00 to swap engines. 10 hrs. per side X $95.00 an hr labor. The more I look into this my 496's are looking better and better. Talk me out of this maddness before I hit the buy it now option.

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 03-20-2008 at 12:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
No more than I will get for them, I'd say that is a resonable option. I checked with Leon Derebery he said around $2000.00 to swap engines. 10 hrs. per side X $95.00 an hr labor. The more I look into this my 496's are looking better and better. Talk me out of this maddness before I hit the buy it now option.
I have one that is already done and ready to go.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 1HYPER1
I have one that is already done and ready to go.
I'd have to sell mine to do that. I wonder what mine is worth with the monster gauge upgrade. I see some as much as 99k but they are still for sale. I'm thinking around the 70K mark to sell. What do you think Hyper?
Old 03-20-2008, 12:49 PM
Registered

Call Scott at Dyna-flow, he has good prices on 572's that are 700hp.(you can do a search for them on here, I have read some good and some bad, just posting my experience) We are currently running a pair of those engines in front of bravo1's with o problems since the install last spring. Unless you are dead set against carbs, thats the route I would go to keep the cost down and to be able to do some of the tuning yourself. Keep your 496's to put back in when you sell your boat. (which may help it sell quicker, being stock). If you have to have efi, I would go with the Raylar kit, they are hard to beat and have the bling someone was mentioning on another thread
Old 03-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Registered

Screw Raylar, plain and simple, buy the "BLOWERS" hit that pay button now! Think about all this later.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:00 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Andy
Screw Raylar, plain and simple, buy the "BLOWERS" hit that pay button now! Think about all this later.
Andy, I see you like spending my money just as much as I like spending yours.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

The mechanic I use at MDG had some merc motors he went thru, 500 or 525 I 'm note sure exactly.He does a good job and might make more cent$ .You would get good performance and be fairly reliable with your drives.Plus keeping you in a more manageable operating range.If you gotta have big power .It might be better find a boat that was set up that way.To hit big mph ,set up is very important .
Old 03-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Andy, i had a 30 with 750's and #3's had a lot of fun with it in the more than 10 years i owned it .The boat broke 100 anytime.Mine was very stable up to 95 ,after that it was as fast as I could drive, usally around 105 top ,but did see 110 a bunch of times . It seemed to work best to set my tads and only use my drives to trim at high speed, but trying most to keep it level at all times . Keeping level was important ,cause we got lots of air time .Sure miss that boat sometime !!!

Last edited by notda1; 03-20-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm blessed with standard one's. I have run 700hp thru B1 before and the didn't break but I took it easy out of the hole.

I owned the 32 tha Hyper now owns, with 525 SC's stock except the Super Chillers and the smaller pulley, they made a little more than 600 hp, and that set up ate up standard Bravos like they were TP. Would take the floor out of the foreward gear, then the tower, then out the side of the case in some instances. That was why Bill/Hyper went to the Imco set up. The pad bottom runs high on the water much like a cat would, and the constant shock loading and unloading is what is so hard on the drive. You can throttle for the big air launches, but you can't for the constant load-unload of normal choppy water. Blower motors are harder on drives than NA's are, what you can get away with HP wise is less. Single set ups are also easier on the drive because it is deeper in the water, I have had friends get by with more HP in a 280 Velocity than I was running with no drive issues.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but believe me with 600, 700 HP in a 32 you will break the standard Bravo. Ask Bill/Hyper, he thought he could get thru the first season on the std Bravos if he was carefull, didn't work. Problem with this type of failure is that you are left with little, if anything, to rebuild, and most times just throw the entire upper out and buy a new one, and at $4k+ it gets old in a hurry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.