Raw Water Impeller on 496 in a 260 >

Raw Water Impeller on 496 in a 260

Notices

Raw Water Impeller on 496 in a 260

Old 04-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Raw Water Impeller on 496 in a 260

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!! After a bruise on my a$$ from sitting in the bilge for 3+ hrs, numerous bruises to my right arm and a cramp in my hand like you would not believe I got my Impeller pump removed only to find the Impeller was still GOOD!!! Since I had it apart I figured I would change it anyway. But this was a lesson well learned. This is one repair I will leave to a marine mechanic. I have never dropped so many F-Bombs in a 3 hr period... I spent over 1 hr removing one freaking bolt.

I thought the impeller was bad becasue I was running the boat off of muffs on the trailer and notice no water exiting the exhaust for well over a minute. When I first started the boat I saw water coming out of the exhaust but then I notice it first stopped on the port side then starboard side. I let it run for a minute or so like that and never saw anymore water.... SO I freaked out, shut it down and went up to the store to buy a new impeller. At the time no knowing what I was in for. After 3+ hours of using 4 letter words I never knew existed I dropped the boat in the water and same damn problem. The boat ran for well over 7 minutes without a drop of water exiting the exhaust. While the boat was still running I put my hand on the raw water pump and it was ice cold.......If the impeller was burnig up it should have been warm or even hot. I pulled one of the bypass hoses off the risers to see if any water was getting there and the hose was dry. I put the hose back on and started the boat. Almost immediately water began leaking out of the bypass hose (because I forgot to tighten the clamp). I looked out back and had water pumping out of the exhaust. I have no freaking idea why I had the issues I did. But I will NEVER attempt to pull the Impeller pump on this boat again!

Just blowing off some steam here...

Other than that I love my newly purchased 260.

Last edited by low_psi; 04-13-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

YUP, it's not an easy job my boat. Although, I learned a few tricks along the way that should speed the process next time.

It seemed easier to change the impeller back when I had a 454 Mag in there.
Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You know I really don't understand why Merc sets these things up the way they do. The worste boat I had to work on was a twin 280TRS 28' Cig with belt driven sea pumps.
I've been running with a Volvo Penta crank driven sea pump on my Merc 502 for going on 6 years now. It takes me less than 15min to change the impeller. Much better design for sure...
Attached Thumbnails Raw Water Impeller on 496 in a 260-502merc2.jpg  

Last edited by Pat McPherson; 04-27-2010 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat McPherson
You know I really don't understand why Merc sets these things up the way they do. The worste boat I had to work on was a twin 280TRS 28' Cig with belt driven sea pumps.
I've been running with a Volvo Penta crank driven sea pump on my Merc 502 for going on 6 years now. It takes me less than 15min to change the impeller. Much better design for sure...
You have no idea how many times I said the following line (to myself of course): "What F&*^&% IDIOT designed this thing!"
Old 04-28-2010, 02:46 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

been there done that with all the explatives in my 353!

It's on the list for May. The impellers are on the bench and I haven't changed them in 2 years.

You can bet your azz I will be putting this off repeatedly!