StillCrazy Velocity...Resurrected >

StillCrazy Velocity...Resurrected

Notices

StillCrazy Velocity...Resurrected

Old 01-03-2011, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fantastic Work!

I had a question on the Stringers/Structure of the boat. Were they in decent shape or did they require work? Are they wood stringers wrapped in glass or other material?

Again, great story!
Old 01-03-2011, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The stringers are wood encased in heavy glass as is the transom. Most of the boat was in pretty decent shape structurally with the exception of the transom. There was also rot at the tops of the stringers in the engine room, where holes from mounting bolts were. However, since the stringers were so large before Steve just cut down the top of the stringers until he got to good wood, then re-glassed them. The stringer glass is so thick and such a heavy weave that it probably would suffice even if all the wood was rotted away! We also ended up replacing the backside of the dashboard, the cockpit floors and the bulkhead between engine compartment and cockpit.

As for the cosmetic repairs, Mike and I did as much work as we could grinding out gel cracks, etc., now Eddie's guys are taking it and working on the deck (which has a lot of cracking due to flexing after a previous owner removed bulkheads in the cabin area) and doing whatever else is necessary to get it ready for final paint. We're hoping they have the glass done and the boat painted with slicksand primer so we can come back next weekend and block it down. I'm crossing my fingers
Old 01-04-2011, 12:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jordan, I remember when I tried to purchase the boat some five or six years ago, that there was cracking along the lifting strakes where they met the hull - have you and Steve addressed that issue? I'm sure you have, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask! Great work, great story, great photos and a great boat! Cannot wait to see the finished product!

Harry
Old 01-04-2011, 06:11 AM
Registered

Can't wait to see her back to her glory you know Dad can't wait either!
Old 01-04-2011, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Love you KP

Harry, Steve and his guys went over the bottom and addressed all areas of cracking. I know exactly where you were talking about, that was the first thing Steve saw. Everything should be like new, cracks fixed, trailing edges sharp! Steve knows that bottom like the back of his hand
Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Registered

I also missed this thread somehow and just read all 15 pages of it. You guys are doing an awesome job with the help of some of the best in the business! Can't wait to see back up and shining again. Once done be sure to get a family (reunion style) picture with everyone by the boat. Your father will be proud of what you all are doing.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:57 AM
Registered

Gonna need a wider paint booth eventually.

great feel-good thread
Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered

love you too! And there will def be a family reunion style picture taken!
Old 01-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Registered

More sanding huh. I thought you guys might of had enough by now. Have fun.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:31 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Great Thread,..................Greater Project

Never Give up !!

Jon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.