290sc aka RE POSSESSED >

290sc aka RE POSSESSED

Notices

290sc aka RE POSSESSED

Old 01-06-2012, 05:06 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sparkie124
After seeing your actuators location I thought I would grab a quick pic of mine while i was working on the stereo install. Hit the button with one hand and lift up with the other as usual, about half way up i hear a pop and the hatch falls to one side. Hatch hinge broke, then pop the other and the hatch falls over till the actuator binds up and bends. I had to call some friends over to help get the hatch off the boat for repair. I am not at all impressed with Velocitys fabrication skills to say the least. Ive been in hot rods and bikes and even BBQ smokers, never seen such poor quality work and design. Dont get me wrong, I love the boat but every thing envolved with the hatch on my boat is trash. The hinge is bolted to a piece of 1 1/2x1 1/2 1/8 thick aluminum angle that one side has been trimed down some for fitment the angle is then bolted to the hatch plywood. The other side of the hinge is bolted to the transom lip. The angle broke at the corner and was bent where the bolts go through. That material is not correct for that usage. that and the location itsself show poor design quality to me. Now the craftsman ship, the angle wasnt cut stright any where and wasnt even the same length even though the hinges are the exact same size as each other. Maybe Im to particular but would have killed somebody to take a hand file and clean up the burrs left from cutting. It looks like a total hack job. for a boat that sells for what they do new I expected better. Again not bash Velocity, Just think they should have done better. Ill post some pics for you to see.
That is the same piece and place where my hatch hinge broke also. 1/8" is too thin for that job and mine was completely corroded (wrong aluminum material used). Most of what I have seen in the boat is good, but they didn't do well with the hatch mounting.

My hatch lift works fine, but I like the looks of Revd Up's Hardin unit. Thanks for the mounting details. I will put that on my wish list!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. Hatch is on and working. Started my stop watch went to metal by the foot.got some stainless angle.took to shop to drill and cut.picked up 12 pack for helper pay. Installed and done. 2.5 hrs. I also installed a relay. Works great. I do how ever dig that Hardin unit. Looks hella strong and not a bad price. Seeing that I need to move the actuator anyway....one may be in my future.