30' Velocity Testing...

Notices

30' Velocity Testing...

Old 03-08-2013, 08:04 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kenny j
I picked up a 30' velocity this fall, only got it out twice befor my ramp was out of water. It's got mildly built 502's, spinning 28 4 blades, 5500 Rpms and best run was 83.1. It's a handful to drive, pretty scared of it... I don't like the R's so high, I'm gonna try 30's in spring and hope to be down by the 5000-5100 range, and Maby pick up a mph or 2... That and the engines were built from scratch with worked carbs, previous owner pulled those and put on regular holleys with chokes because he said they were too cold blooded... Gonna try those and the 30's and hope for a few more mph and less R's..
What type of 28's? Are they spinning in or out? Do you have external hydraulic steering? If not, and your gimbal pins are loose, this will greatly affect handling.

Some things that helped mine when I first got it, was to check the toe on the drives, check the accuracy of the indicators for both the drives and the tabs, and make sure they are the same from side to side.

The drives at the back should be about an 1/8" closer than at the front. Mine were way out when I got it, I ended up adjust about 3/8" of an inch or better.

I also keep my tabs around 3 which is neutral to the bottom of the boat...much higher and it wants to porpoise.

If it starts to chine walk too bad, back off and start over. These boats are a blast to drive, and remind me so much of my Allison.

With the few small adjustments I've made over the winter, I hope to break the 80 mark, with these stock 502's.
Old 03-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They are 28p 4 blade bravo one's, I have them turning in, when I picked the boat up they were turning out, picked up 2 mph switching it.. I have full hydro steering, and gimbles have 150 hours on them. They are tight, I never checked the toe in tho.? When I say it's a handful I don't necessarily think anything is wrong, it's just it takes alot more "driving" then any other LIL single iv owned in the past.. It feels alot like my friends 320, and like you said, too much tab or trim and it gets loose gotta start over, that's how I felt driving it last year.. I'm sure ill get the hang of it..! I hope,! But I am looking for some inside on props.? I don't like pushing the engins that high at all, and want to go bigger props, but not sure how big, labbed or not, or bravo or hydro.?
Old 03-08-2013, 04:01 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tears ago, when I told Steve that my 30 chine walked badly. He admonished me and told me to work the wheel back and forth just a little to keep it on the pad. It worked. If you have full hydraulic steering its hard. Power is best. Either way those boats teach you how to drive.
Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm running a set of 28" Hydro's right out of the box. Many say the Hydro's are a little more stiff than stock bravos so it might be worth a shot to try a set of 28 Hydro's before buying. Also Steve says the Hydro's run the best on these 30's.

I'm turning right around 5000-5100 and its a few tenths from 80.