Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Steve Stepp banned from the velocity factory! >

Steve Stepp banned from the velocity factory!

Notices

Steve Stepp banned from the velocity factory!

Old 07-01-2015, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I first talked to Steve Stepp sometime back in the ninety's. I was in the process of buying a used 1989 23ft Regal (Velocity) It was my first go fast type boat and I had some questions. By that time Steve had left Regal and was back making boats on his own. I called the Velocity factory and told them what I was looking at and they said hold on," Steve can best answer your questions, he on the factory floor but we will get him". I was very surprised that just like that I was going to be talking to the designer and builder! This was not what I expected. Even though the boat I was looking at was built by Regal, Steve answered all my questions and we had a great conversation about fast boats. He did not bash Regal but during my questioning, he did mentioned they had let the 23 get heavy and the wiring good have been better. Sure enough the only problem I had with the boat was with the wiring to the trim switch. He also said if I bought the boat I would have a great time and I did.

I finally met Steve in 1999. The previous year I had purchased a new Velocity 280 from Eyerock Marine in Binghamton and was attending the Battle Ship run on Seneca Lake. I joined the Eyerock crew for breakfast and there was this gentleman that was talking about Velocity boats. I asked him if he was with the factory and he got a shy grin on his face and said, "I'm Steve". We had many conversations that weekend I remember him surrounded by boaters and freely and happily giving out tips about improving performance and speed. Most of them were not Velocity owners and it didn't seem to matter to him.

I will miss being able to call the factory and talk to Steve, to ask questions, to ask advise or maybe just talk about boats. I don't know the details but IMO the new owners made a mistake in not working things out and keeping Steve available. I think that Velocity may very likely be gone.

Padraig
Old 07-01-2015, 10:39 AM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gordo
In 1997 I was traveling around the nation talking to a number of boat builders about building a Factory 1 race boat. I don't remember the name of the gentleman at Velocity I'd had conversations with, but we went to the race in Biloxi to meet him and Steve Stepp in person and discuss details. This guy walks me over to Mr Stepp, introduces me and tells him I am going racing and looking at building a new Velocity. Steve says "Hi" and walks away with zero interest.
The rest is history;

BTW We've never been beat by a Velocity

(at least, not by one that passed inspection )
I guess the old saying applies here.... you can't please everybody....
Old 07-01-2015, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In response to the recent comments on Velocity, yes Steve Stepp founded a great company and as with many other great companies there comes a time when the company must move beyond its founder and creator. That time is now for Velocity. Steve’s innovative performance designs of the 80’s will live on and was indeed a business decision to put the right personnel in place to leverage the latest technology and fabrication standards and techniques of the 21st century. We encourage you to call and/or visit us to meet our new personnel and find out for yourself. Also stay tuned for our Anniversary Edition models for 2016/2017 in celebration of 40 years of Velocity Powerboats. 407-322-7770.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:46 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Where is Kenny now? I am heading to Debary in a few and wouldn't mind stopping by.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by velocityboats1
In response to the recent comments on Velocity, yes Steve Stepp founded a great company and as with many other great companies there comes a time when the company must move beyond its founder and creator. That time is now for Velocity. Steve’s innovative performance designs of the 80’s will live on and was indeed a business decision to put the right personnel in place to leverage the latest technology and fabrication standards and techniques of the 21st century. We encourage you to call and/or visit us to meet our new personnel and find out for yourself. Also stay tuned for our Anniversary Edition models for 2016/2017 in celebration of 40 years of Velocity Powerboats. 407-322-7770.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Where is Kenny now? I am heading to Debary in a few and wouldn't mind stopping by.
Just sent you a PM with Kenny's cell number. Not sure if h wants it posted on line.

Padraig
Old 07-01-2015, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

Pm box cleared now try again please.

Thanks
Old 07-01-2015, 01:11 PM
GRH
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by velocityboats1
That's the best you can do?
Old 07-01-2015, 03:50 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GRH
I guess the old saying applies here.... you can't please everybody....
Agree. However, you would think any good businessman would treat every potential customer with some professional manners. or at least have the courtesy of giving him the time of day. especially a customer wanting to race your product under your banner.
I had a lot of fun in my old 23 Velocity and I've had the great opportunity to drive for the Super V Velocity CGS Ferocious a couple of seasons. Make no mistake, I have a world of respect for Mr Stepp's racing accomplishments, history and experience.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Kenny is around however he's traveling thru next week. Touch base if you're still interested in stopping by the factory (407) 322-7770.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.