Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Any Velocity 260 Owners Interested In Mod's ???? >

Any Velocity 260 Owners Interested In Mod's ????

Notices

Any Velocity 260 Owners Interested In Mod's ????

Old 05-12-2016, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've already called them to ask that same question............Quote: No patterns are already available for the Velocity......

So that means you'll have to trace out your existing platform and submit that for them to cut the pattern from. I'm not making any sudden moves as I'm still on the fence with a prior "TRANSOM SOOT" issue that if not corrected by the reflash from Merc would surely do more harm than good on the SEA DECK material. I'm waiting to get out again and validate any changes to the soot problem but weather here has been horrible.............
Old 05-12-2016, 07:54 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I don't get much soot on the VR 1 and it is a molded on platform . I am thinking seriously of doing this sometime this summer.

Hopefully your soot problem is resolved. My 1998 used to get quite a bit of soot on the transom, after having the ECU massaged by Precision Marine it was pretty much resolved.

Padraig
Old 05-12-2016, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig
I don't get much soot on the VR 1 and it is a molded on platform . I am thinking seriously of doing this sometime this summer.

Hopefully your soot problem is resolved. My 1998 used to get quite a bit of soot on the transom, after having the ECU massaged by Precision Marine it was pretty much resolved.

Padraig
It's gonna be awhile before I get out, weather here is awful, rain, rain and more rain. River is "WAY-WAY" up, lots of trash in the water as well....... All I can do is wait it out.
Old 05-14-2016, 05:23 AM
Registered

Got my sample pack from SeaDeck, pretty cool stuff. With using this product, it's all about the application and prep since it's adhesive backed, very sticky stuff meaning once it's down, it's "DOWN" !!!!!!!!!

One thing that comes to mind is the swim/boarding ladder bolts, would have to modify them to get the heads below the surface, i.e. flat head screws counter sunk into the platform or you'll get the screw head bulge in the SeaDeck, I tried this with one of the samples and it didn't look good at all. My other concern is that if using flat head screws, it put's quite a load on the screw heads in the platform material by not being able to use a flat washer to distribute the load......don't know if that's a potential problem or not. Once you apply the SeaDeck material, there's no going back to tighten and hardware under it since you can't access the screw heads, guess one could epoxy in the screws to keep them from rotating.

Open for thoughts, comments and opinions.......................
Old 05-14-2016, 06:09 AM
Registered

I don't have the boat here so I can't look at it but how about marking the bolt location on the template and having Seadek cut holes with the beveled edges?

Padraig
Old 05-14-2016, 09:05 AM
Registered

I don't have the boat here so I can't look at it but how about marking the bolt location on the template and having Seadek cut holes with the beveled edges?

Padraig
That a great idea......"BUT", it's just another spot that gonna need TLC to clean and besides I kinda like the seamless look, as in one piece smooth flowing. I'm think'n that if and when I do this I'll figure out to keep the bolt heads flush with the surface and make them anti-rotational..................yeah I know I'm being totally anal about this.....
Old 05-14-2016, 09:57 AM
Registered

LOL. Picking the VR 1 up, Monday, I know the 280 is different but will give it a hard look and but on my thinking cap.

I wonder if you could carefully cut out some of the seated on the adhesive side where it contacts the faster for the ladder? Just enough so that it lays flush.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:48 AM
Registered

LOL. Picking the VR 1 up, Monday, I know the 280 is different but will give it a hard look and but on my thinking cap.

I wonder if you could carefully cut out some of the seated on the adhesive side where it contacts the faster for the ladder? Just enough so that it lays flush.
cut out some of the seated on the adhesive side, that's a great idea except I think without the same padding thickness those spots would wear much faster than the remainder of the surface........, just a passing thought.
Old 05-15-2016, 04:04 AM
Registered

This is just a thought...............Not that I'm going to do it but, but I'm always looking for a used welded aluminum "TUBE" swim platform (Baja style) to maybe replace the Velocity OEM one some day, a little weight savings and far easier to keep clean as long as it's not white......
Old 05-15-2016, 06:03 AM
Registered

I always wanted to replace the one on my old 280 with a pipe type aluminum platform. Years ago I saw one on a 260/280, came from the factory that way and it looked good.

Padraig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.