Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
VR 1 ready >

VR 1 ready

Notices

VR 1 ready

Old 06-13-2018, 02:54 PM
  #21  
Registered
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tygart Lake, WV
Posts: 1,155
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
Interesting, I never heard that before. Where did you read or hear this? Next time I talk with Kenny I'll ask him about it.

Thanks,
Padraig
Always ran RH on mine. The VR1 hull was designed with it in mind......

24* deadrise, conventional lifting strakes with a 3" high notched transom. 1' wide pad. Pad is offset 6.5" to port of keel and 5.5" to starboard to offset the right hand turning prop.

Last edited by Ryan00TJ; 06-13-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Ryan00TJ is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 04:58 PM
  #22  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Ryan, does the deadrise differ between the VR1 and 290SC? Thought it was 22* for the 290...
CJSYD is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:18 PM
  #23  
Registered
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: MD
Posts: 320
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CJSYD View Post
Ryan, does the deadrise differ between the VR1 and 290SC? Thought it was 22* for the 290...
They're the same in terms of dead rise and hull design. The difference between the 290 and VR1 are as follows. The VR1 is made up of coosa board stringers, bulkheads, and transom with vinylester resin throughout, foam core hull and deck.
The 290 is composed of balsa core hull laid up with general purpose resin, plywood stringers, bulkheads and transom. However, the deck is foam cored with vinylester resin.
modvp is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:54 PM
  #24  
Registered
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tygart Lake, WV
Posts: 1,155
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by modvp View Post
They're the same in terms of dead rise and hull design. The difference between the 290 and VR1 are as follows. The VR1 is made up of coosa board stringers, bulkheads, and transom with vinylester resin throughout, foam core hull and deck.
The 290 is composed of balsa core hull laid up with general purpose resin, plywood stringers, bulkheads and transom. However, the deck is foam cored with vinylester resin.
Spot on. My docs state 24* deadrise.
Ryan00TJ is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 07:58 PM
  #25  
Registered
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 204
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Great details... thank you!
CJSYD is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:20 PM
  #26  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lakewood, NY, USA
Posts: 3,085
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ View Post
Always ran RH on mine. The VR1 hull was designed with it in mind......

24* deadrise, conventional lifting strakes with a 3" high notched transom. 1' wide pad. Pad is offset 6.5" to port of keel and 5.5" to starboard to offset the right hand turning prop.
Ryan, oddly enough, Kenny H called me today about something else. I asked him about the pad being offset, He said no way. Now I am really curious, where did your info on this come from?
Thanks,
Padraig
Padraig is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 08:39 PM
  #27  
Registered
iTrader: (8)
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Tygart Lake, WV
Posts: 1,155
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
Ryan, oddly enough, Kenny H called me today about something else. I asked him about the pad being offset, He said no way. Now I am really curious, where did your info on this come from?
Thanks,
Padraig
https://books.google.com/books?id=ryvhOo3ibdEC&pg=PA38&lpg=PA38&dq=290sc+te st&source=bl&ots=QwkCq9uwud&sig=sO8WSvjfpImXXpb3rY CdBv8-8ko&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjAqfududHbAhUM7qwKHYFmAe s4ChDoATABegQIBBAB#v=onepage&q=290sc%20test&f=fals e

That is the online article from Boating magazine. I also remember a Powerboat/Hotboat mag stating the same. They must have been mistaken. I would take Kenny H's info as authority on the subject. My mistake!
Ryan00TJ is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 09:14 PM
  #28  
Registered
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lakewood, NY, USA
Posts: 3,085
Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Thanks, Ryan. Not trying to stir the pot. This is driving me crazy, LOL. Was hoping Revelocity would drop in as he is quite knowledgeable on Velocity.

Padraig
Padraig is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 09:35 PM
  #29  
BUP
Banned
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Worth TX
Posts: 9,598
Likes: 0
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

if that was the case - one could have the outdrive dead straight and see the offset one side to the other of the pad position or least do the measurement


IMO that does not sound right for tracking - off center pad. I would also think that steering input and handling might be felt having an offset like that.

Back in the day we had a new boat with tracking issues and so forth, The transom assembly / drive was off center ---- a tad over an inch to the port side and the boat tracked poorly and leaned to Port. . V hull single engine with a big block.
BUP is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 12:21 AM
  #30  
BUP
Banned
iTrader: (9)
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Worth TX
Posts: 9,598
Likes: 0
Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Just posting so far on the research of the pad size and offset ---- I ended up talking to a buddy of mine whom has a bunch of powerboat & hotboat mags

Power boat mag feb 2002 with the VR1 on the front cover - complete story on the new Vr1 - not one word written about the pad size or offset.

Powerboat mag July 2001 interview with Step Stepp talks about the New Velocity F1 Racer not one word mentioned about any offset pad also in the same mag a brief story about the new Vr1 under News & Notes Leaks -- nothing mentioned about an offset or pad size

Powerboat Mag March 2004 -----Velocity 290 complete story about testing the 290 - not one word mentioned about the size of the pad or an offset.
BUP is offline  

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser