Engine hatch release >

Engine hatch release

Notices

Engine hatch release

Old 05-27-2021, 08:36 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts
Default Engine hatch release

My older Velocity 280 had attached to the inside of the engine hatch a hinge like mechanism that allowed you to open the engine hatch far enough so that you could reach in and disconnect the electric ram if your battery was dead or ram failed. My VR 1 does not have this, likely because it is a refurbished factory class race boat. I would like to add this. can anyone snap a pic of yours and send to me. Also if you know the manufacturer that would be great also. I had dead batteries last week and had to put power to the fuse panel next to the battery switch to get the hatch open. Also I would not have to disconnect everything for winter storage.

Thanks,

Padraig
Old 05-28-2021, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi Padraig,

I'll send you picture/dimensions from my 390 next time I open the hatch. I was able to easily fabricate a similar hinge arrangement for my 280 using U-channel stock, a couple of bolts and some white paint. Pretty sure Velocity fabricated it in house also.

Rick
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (05-28-2021)
Old 05-28-2021, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 252 Posts

I have put an on board battery charger on every boat that I have owned. When the boat isn't in the water, it is plugged in. I have never arrived at the ramp with a dead battery. I just assumed everyone did this. What am I missing here?
Old 05-28-2021, 09:48 AM
Registered

Rick, thanks! The picture will be a great help.
Are you going to the Battleship (ROPA) run?
The VR 1 is in the shop, Excel Marine in Buffalo area. The IAC valve not getting a signal. Eddie Young checked out the ECU over the winter and it is OK so must be in the harness somewhere.

Hope to see you this summer.

Padraig
Old 05-28-2021, 09:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I have put an on board battery charger on every boat that I have owned. When the boat isn't in the water, it is plugged in. I have never arrived at the ramp with a dead battery. I just assumed everyone did this. What am I missing here?
No onboard charger. Summertime it is on a lift with no power on the dock. Always turn the battery switch to off and "usually" no problem. This time the boat was on shore and had just come back from storage and I had done some work on it and had left the battery switch on and must have something drawing it down for a week. However if the lift craps out you could be in trouble even if you have power. Nice to be able to easily get it open.
Old 05-29-2021, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Mine has a bolt/nylock nut instead of a pin.
Old 05-29-2021, 07:11 PM
Registered

Hey Ryan, thanks! That looks different then what I remember on the 280 but looks simple and workable. My 280 used a U channel like Rick describes. I just can't quite picture it. Tough to get old. LOL

Good to hear from you. Still have the Velocity?

Padraig
Old 05-29-2021, 07:31 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,108 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Looks like Ryans
https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-1679...nsion-kit.aspx

Old 05-30-2021, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

Padraig, The link SB posted is it. Hope it helps. They also sell a quick release pin. I keep the nylock nut hand tight to remove without tools if needed.

Yep, still have the Velocity. It's currently shivering at the lake. Dang cold temps!!!
Padraig (05-30-2021)
Old 06-02-2021, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig
Rick, thanks! The picture will be a great help.
Are you going to the Battleship (ROPA) run?
The VR 1 is in the shop, Excel Marine in Buffalo area. The IAC valve not getting a signal. Eddie Young checked out the ECU over the winter and it is OK so must be in the harness somewhere.

Hope to see you this summer.

Padraig
Good luck with the IAC troubleshooting. We were interested in the the ROPA run but unfortunately the date conflicts with a local run. The weather looks better this weekend so I'll send you picture then.
Padraig (06-02-2021)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.