Looking for options what to put on Spark Plug wire Sleeving >

Looking for options what to put on Spark Plug wire Sleeving

Notices

Looking for options what to put on Spark Plug wire Sleeving

Old 11-22-2019, 09:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

I like the colored ones with the numbers DUI ignitions used to do them as well and I have them on one of my harleys.
Old 11-22-2019, 10:56 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Definitely have an identifying name and/or logo, and/or phone # on them. If the boat has a new owner, or another shop is working on them, they know where/how to get the replacement for them.
Old 11-22-2019, 06:05 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

A subtle label is excellent. Enough to identify what you have at a closer look but not so much as to clash with my neon fuchsia bilge.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:44 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks, I ll update but for today ---------

So today I took a sample piece of the sleeving - cut a piece off - One inch long and cooked it in a broiler for 60 mins at 400 degrees. Pulled it out and it was perfect and not even hot within 5 seconds. I could grab the sleeve completely and hold it between my fingers as it felt like it was never heated up.

. The company that makes the sleeving claims its good for heat up to 1200 degrees. So of course I am question marking that. I do not have anything to test up those temps. Anyways I put it back in the broiler for 15 mins at 450 degrees and it still looks and feels perfect. I am impressed with the sleeve for holding up to heat.. I am totally satisfied and impressed for heat protection using this exact sleeving.
Old 11-22-2019, 11:46 PM
BUP
Banned

60 mins straight
at 400 degrees I could not even touch the glass on the broiler it was really hot
Old 11-22-2019, 11:48 PM
BUP
Banned

Old 11-23-2019, 12:14 AM
BUP
Banned

Pricing is not really determine yet or should say not set in stone. I will have 3 different versions of the spark plug wires for all Merc Racing engines and the 496 s and custom engines. Also will be covering all black production side engines including Volvo penta and OMC. Outboard apps will be down the road.

350 OHM per Ft -- 8 mm diameter - Black wire NON sleeved Better than OEM replacement SPW set. Price is very affordable shipped prob close to 110 to 125 per set. discounts on multiple sets.

40 OHM per Ft - High performance SPW set -- what you see in pics here. -- 8 mm diameter - colored fully sleeved and heat shrinked boots. Price not set yet in stone but in the range of 175 to 195 shipped. The sleeving is not cheap. NO BS

3 rd wire set is in the making but having them affordable might be the issue ???

Last edited by BUP; 11-23-2019 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:50 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 136 Likes on 81 Posts

I like wires numbered at each end so you don’t have to trace the wire back up to the dist or coil pack.
Why are wires for the 496 so dam expensive? Will yours be most cost effective? I will be needing 2 sets come spring.
Old 11-23-2019, 12:18 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The wires do look very nice. I just don't see the need for heat protection for a boat engine. The temps the wires see are maybe 25% of what of they are in an automotive application.
Abrasion protection, I understand there is some need. My plug wires are generally pretty secure though and never had any issues. Also, are there some plug wire holder/separators that will fit over the shielding??
Old 11-23-2019, 01:33 PM
BUP
Banned

we have all plastic wire separators from all different colors to fit all different size SP wires, Here is on sample pic below for the non sleeved 8 mm wires. And all thru moroso USA. Again there is all sizes and colors for the plastic SP wire separators.

I want to keep all USA parts one is if any issues arise much better to resolve any of that dealing with home manu s. Also the communication is by far better so less chances of things going wrong. Next is I am so tired of the poor quality marine parts that come straight out of the box - all CHINA and Mexico made. Not saying that all USA made products do not have issues,
-
Next is you do not want to use metal SP wire separators - one is metal is conductive, also metal is corrosive - also metal can add to harmonics and vibrations. Metal is heavier. Also anything that carries electrical paths - you want to be very stable and no vibrations if all possible. This is very true for ECM s as well, and ignition systems - including SP wire. You do not want SP wires moving around all the time while the engine is running especially of they are close to sensors and or those wires / connectors.

. This separators from Moroso are all plastic and they agree with my logic as well about SP wire separators,

Last edited by BUP; 11-23-2019 at 01:39 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.