Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   How much of a market would there be??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/140285-how-much-market-would-there.html)

dean51267 09-12-2006 08:10 PM

Re: How much of a market would there be???

I wrote a book a while on starting your own busienss, my first sentance was "so you want to own a business, you must be a glutton for punishment, or a fool"..........

90% of the time, I am right on the mark, 5% I am close, and 5% I am way off...

Think your boss is bad now, wait till your customers become your boss....

That said if you are serious about doing this anyway, give me a call, I will try to help. I am deeply involved in helping manage over 150 of them....

RJ1340 09-13-2006 11:49 PM

Keep your day job.

glassdave 09-14-2006 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by THEJOKER
. . . Oh yea...how do you make a million dollars in the boating business , start with 2 million - haha.

LOL . . .we have a similar saying.

wanna know how to make a small fortune . . . .take a big fortune and start a boating business :D

cuda 09-14-2006 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by t500hps
Right now you have to answer to a "BOSS" 9 to 5, if you start your own business you have to answer to the "BOSS" (the people who pay you) 24-7. The financial reward can be good when it's good, but it's because the risk is significant and the hours SUK!!!

Amen bro!
Why do you think I woke up at 4;30 am this morning, and can't go back to sleep? Getting real busy again, and hoping I have enough help to getter done in time. :(

Here's Johnny 09-14-2006 06:45 AM

I Don't think anyone metioned the video done by a member here a few years back......."PEGGED"........I enjoyed it but I havn't seen anymore made since then.........I can't find the link to it but I think DCB and EBM were involved with it too. It is exactly what you are looking to make....Boats, Babes, Hot Spots,etc,etc......gets me through those long winters here in New York.

Chris Sunkin 09-14-2006 06:48 AM

I talk to alot of younger people who want to know how I got started and how they can too. I tell them all the same thing. Go revolutionize someone else's business first. If you've got what it takes, you'll have at least two brilliant ideas and the fortitude to make them happen. Be someone else's idea man and rainmaker. Make him a fortune and earn the $$ to fund making your own. Build a reputation and you'll have an open door at the bank or with private capital. On the list of what's important in being successful, the "big idea" part comes pretty close to the bottom of the list. All the items above it are discipline, diligence and sacrifice.

If you can't make someone else more money that everyone else around you, you probaly won't be able to do it for yourself.

BeakBoater35 09-14-2006 06:50 AM

I agree totally. No question I'd pay for videos like this. I'd love to see one on the correct techniques for trim, tab, and turning a performance v-hull. I'm self taught over the course of over 30 years boating, and consider myself competent at the helm. However, I'll bet that there are some folks, some on this board, that good teach me a lot on the subject.

The alternative seems to be attending a rather pricey school. Done right, the vidoe would SELL!

Originally Posted by Boomer 880
I think if you want to do a boat handling, docking, safety video would be more of a seller, as it would appeal to all boaters. There are a lot of people that have the $$ to buy a boat (big, small, fast or slow), but are afraid to tow, launch or dock the boat. The video could go into anchoring, navigation...

I know there are some very old videos of docking techniques et al that you can buy, but they are outdated. I would market the video to boat builders to give to their new owners before (if possible) the boat is delivered. Take a look at how many production boats are built versus performance and you will see a better opportuntiy here (IMHO).

Good luck... if you make millions on this idea, please remember me :drink:

DURANGOKID59 09-14-2006 07:08 AM

Thanks for all the info and opinions guys, appreciate it. Its just been an idea Ive been toying with, and there are a lot of good comments on here. Ill keep thinking about it for now :D

Here's Johnny 09-14-2006 07:17 AM

Here is the link.......
http://www.peggedmovie.com/