Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   Don Aronow Memorial Ocean Powerboat Race (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/181841-don-aronow-memorial-ocean-powerboat-race.html)

DollaBill 03-16-2008 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ron P (Post 2487096)
All I remember is that you said you'd write the check.:cool-smiley-011:

I remember saying I would help getting the check. Your estimates are little much for me :). I'll be in touch this week to go through some of those ideas.

Top Banana 03-17-2008 07:11 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by bouyhunter (Post 2486483)
Damn - I keep reading this thread.
I gotta get my boat back together.
This is gonna be a great run.
I don't care who wins, just to make the run would be an experience that would never be forgotten.
Very cool.

HORBA is working on having some great patches made up for those who are participants. Only those who will actually be in this historic race will get a patch for your jacket.

Wherever you go in the world, you will be recognized by the patch and it will lead to some great conversations and new friendships.

I can testify to this, because whenever I wear my Cannonball Race patch, people will always comment and want to talk about that outlaw race that was made into the movie.

As years go by there are less of us around that actually raced in the real Cannonball. It will be the same for this Don Aronow Memorial race.

SLINGSHOT 03-17-2008 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by XtremePowerboats.com (Post 2485445)
Slingshot,
Come on down with some of your Jersy Boys !!There used to ocean rides !!

I Workin on it!!!!!

Racegirl3 03-17-2008 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by Top Banana (Post 2487350)
As years go by there are less of us around that actually raced in the real Cannonball. It will be the same for this Don Aronow Memorial race.

That is soooo cool. You amaze me :cool:

Top Banana 03-17-2008 03:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hey it's not about me!

It is about the new guys (and girls, Sorry Betty) who will go out into the ocean and have the greatest adventure of their lives, following the great lead of guys like Brownie, Richie Powers, Doc Magoon, Sam Griffith and especially Don.

Just as we do now, they will sit back and remember those times of open ocean racing, as the highpoint of their racing careers.

There is a whole new generation of racers just waiting to be discovered. Make it an even playing field with everyone going over the same waves, and you will be amazed at how the favorites will do compared to the "newbies".

The very best thing that could happen here, is that some backyard mechanic and his brother, build an old Magnum hull with a set of engines that run all the way without breaking and be the first boat back overall. It has happened before.

Racegirl3 03-17-2008 03:33 PM

All that is true .... and definitely makes this whole deal very cool ... but I still think you're amazing ;):D

ApachePete 03-17-2008 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by el indio (Post 2481019)
manny,carlos, and gabrial.......

Saugatuck, right?

Top Banana 03-18-2008 10:11 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't think that patches are given out at the modern day races.

We used to get them for every race we attended, they were part of the little goody bag that was handed out to the teams.

Here are a few examples.

Top Banana 03-18-2008 10:15 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A lot of guys collected them on their jackets.

Some more patches, some from old races ...1966 and some from more recent 1980 Worlds in Australia.

rtaylor 03-18-2008 05:27 PM

So, do you think a 27' Activator with twin 200s will cut the mustard? I'd sure like to give it a shot.

-Randy