Can't get hose water to come up through bravo drive >

Can't get hose water to come up through bravo drive

Notices

Can't get hose water to come up through bravo drive

Old 03-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zimm17
I'm not even worried about the impeller- I can't even get water to it! Shouldn't I be able to get water from the ear muffs to the raw water hose inside the transom? It's a bravo drive, no water pump in it.

Oh, and the impeller new last fall, but I'll replace it anyway since it ran dry for a few minutes at idle- although it's pretty lubed from the antifreeze that was in there.
You're saying the transom hose is off the pump and you can't push water thru just the hose? Maybe you got a mouse or something jammed in there!
Old 03-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
You're saying the transom hose is off the pump and you can't push water thru just the hose? Maybe you got a mouse or something jammed in there!
You need to remove the hose from the transom. Shove a garden hose into the end of the water pump hose and turn the water on. You will get flow. After the engine runs a while with good flow shut it off and reconnect the intake hose to the transom and try again with the muffs. I have this problem every year and it always end with me doing the above. I do think though if you took it to the water and backed the boat in it would do the same priming action as I descibed above..

BT
Old 03-15-2007, 05:37 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Everyone else is saying good advice. Also, some Bravo's have actually kinked the hose when trimmed up and to the side. Take a look up under the bellhousing and see if the hose is kinked shut. Just another thing to try!

John S.
Old 03-15-2007, 09:22 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A few yrs ago on my previous boat, I was using the Merc muffs that have the pin that goes thru the drive pickup holes to hold it on. No matter what I did, it would not pull water. I held them tight with my hands, nothing. Thinking a blockage, I pulled the drive off. Good flow with hose stuffed into the transom assembly. With the drive on the stand and muffs hooked up to it. I could not get any water to go up that short 1 foot verticle rise. Craziest thing I ever seen. Tried a different set of muffs, water gushed up thru and out the drive like a mofo. Put the drive back on, used new muffs, no problem. For chits and grins I put the Merc muffs back on, nothing! Again tried to hold them tight against the drive by hand, still no go. Threw them away, never another issue again. I have no idea why they wouldn't work. They were only 1 yr old, so not dry rotted, hard or plugged up. And I had used them before with no issue.
Old 03-16-2007, 05:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
A few yrs ago on my previous boat, I was using the Merc muffs that have the pin that goes thru the drive pickup holes to hold it on. No matter what I did, it would not pull water. I held them tight with my hands, nothing. Thinking a blockage, I pulled the drive off. Good flow with hose stuffed into the transom assembly. With the drive on the stand and muffs hooked up to it. I could not get any water to go up that short 1 foot verticle rise. Craziest thing I ever seen. Tried a different set of muffs, water gushed up thru and out the drive like a mofo. Put the drive back on, used new muffs, no problem. For chits and grins I put the Merc muffs back on, nothing! Again tried to hold them tight against the drive by hand, still no go. Threw them away, never another issue again. I have no idea why they wouldn't work. They were only 1 yr old, so not dry rotted, hard or plugged up. And I had used them before with no issue.
It's definitely worth $20 to try a different type before pulling the drive! Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Run water backwards from the pump and see if it comes out the drive that should tell if you have a blockage, I also have had a kink in the hose around the bell, I have also had the pump sucking air when the gasket between the drive and bell was not correctly in place.
Old 07-10-2023, 01:40 PM
Registered

Question Similar problem, pump takes too long to prime.

Originally Posted by fastedy
Run water backwards from the pump and see if it comes out the drive that should tell if you have a blockage, I also have had a kink in the hose around the bell, I have also had the pump sucking air when the gasket between the drive and bell was not correctly in place.
This thread is old but hey ya never know, I did this and seemed to have plenty of water flow, while the hose was hooked up i pinched the small 3/4 hose coming up from the drive and looked for water leaks inside at the transom and quck disconnect. Nothing. Backflushed the hoses between the PS cooler and pump outlet still couldnt find any restrictions. Removed the Cool fuel fitting to check for debris, also nothing. Still takes 30 seconds or more to build up enough water pressure to silence the alarm.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Earmuffs can vary greatly in quality and effectiveness.

Do you have a quality set?

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm not sure why anyone would use muffs on a Bravo style drive. Takes 2 fittings and 4 hose clamps to rig up a freshwater flush fitting....
The following users liked this post:
techman (07-11-2023)