Oil filters.....bypass or no bypass??? >

Oil filters.....bypass or no bypass???

Notices

Oil filters.....bypass or no bypass???

Old 06-28-2002, 06:04 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil filters.....bypass or no bypass???

I have now changed the filter adapter to a no-bypass system. Oil has no choice but to take the filter to cooler route (see my other threads about the issue I have been having). So this begs the question: Should I be running a filter with or without a bypass??? I have been running the Purolator Pure One filters for years and have never had one plug up on me. Do they have a bypass in them??

Water test tomorrow (Sat.) will tell me if I found my temp issue or not. Wish me luck.

Mike
Old 06-30-2002, 10:27 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

What, no one has an opinion????
Old 07-01-2002, 07:56 AM
Registered

If the filter is designed for a Chevy application, I'd bet there is no bypass in it. If designed for a Ford or Chrysler application there probably is. If you really want to find out, buy an extra filter and cut it open. The spring at the end of the cartridge that holds the cartridge against the top plate is not a bypass.

Now, my $0.02 - I've been running a system with no bypass for a couple of years. I went through a lot of time discovering that "very small" traces of water in the oil will shut down paper element filters in a short time, leaving you with no oil pressure. If you are going to run without a bypass, make sure you use a synthetic element filter (Wix Racing is probably the best, I don't "think" the non-racing Wix are synthetic but could never verify it for sure). I have installed System 1 filters, which have a bypass in them and do not use paper elements, so hope I've beat the problem in two ways. So far they are working great and I havn't had a filter failure this year (which is a lot more than I can say for the prior two years )

-Greg
Old 07-01-2002, 08:13 AM
turbo2256

Oil by-passes are there for several reasons ... for start up on cold days and sometimes filter just cant handle the amount of oil running through the engine. Both reasons could cause the filter to explode or o-ring seal on it. Non by-pass systems I have used dual filters to handle the increased volume.

Old 07-01-2002, 03:11 PM
Registered

I always use a plug in the bypass on my motors. I watch the pressure closely anyway.
Old 07-01-2002, 11:45 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Ran the motor all weekend. Oil temp never got above 230 at WOT, and stayed around 210 at cruising speeds. Pressure stayed right around 50 whether hot or cold. Seems good to me. I also tend to watch the oil temp and pressure gauges often. Even more so than the tach the last few seasons.
Old 07-02-2002, 10:48 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike,
Good to hear your running!!! I am now working in Lansing.. 110mi drive to and from every day.. ugh!! But I am working on my motor, hoping to be in the water some time in July or Aug... if all goes well..

See ya!

Dick
Old 07-03-2002, 09:58 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Just my opinion,,, but I want a bypass in my system,,, I just dont like the fact I can pop a filter on cold start up,, or that if my filter clogs I dont get circulation.