Saber 101

Notices

Saber 101

Old 09-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by jdub
Damn Art that sucks. I had no idea the tank was leaking. I never smelled any fumes that would idicate a leak. I can assure you if I had known it was leaking it would have been fixed...but it is a 1988 and you got it at a good price
hey jon it would be hard to smell the gass it was held in by the glass and foam plus the cap on top not complaining here my friend just bummed about the set back and add cost after I had the glass work done back in the spring. price
depends how you look at it, it wasn't high and it wasnt cheap but I thought it was in better shape, I pulled the rug up and there two delam holes in the floor by the back seat 2 1/2'' cut outs with raw balsa, if I didn't pull it up in a year from now a whole floor would be needed. why who ever put the carpet in left that I don't know. but thank god i pulled it up its a easy fix now just got to cut out a little of the core seal with glass and plug the cut out. I want to put a solid floor or a nonskid floor in it thats why I pulled back the rug plus it will have a custom pull out rug from me. all in all its a great boat with great glass work it . less than half of a new hull by the time I am done money wise. anyway I am not complaining just bummed out about these lil problems. Ijust hope it runs as good as Ernies SUTPHEN there was 6 to 8s out in buzzards bay sunday so the pr was off until to day and ernies boat went out for a test run and kicked azz flew level and hooked up. higher propshaft height works great on it at 3 3/8''. by nov I'll see how 3'' with a box works jon you got a high x and that boat handles nice you have now looks like next season for us to hook up for a ride jon catch you later man.
Old 09-06-2010, 07:49 PM
Registered

oh I plan on cutting the exhaust out this week in case I NEED TO ADJUST IT.and do the rest of the set ups. I hope this will not take long for a tank orbladder. I will take it out this yr even if its to be used as a icebreaker, my glass guy said it was built like a tank.. later
Old 09-06-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Those two holes in the floor by the back seat are the floor drains. Why the balsa was left raw... you will have to take that up with Doug at Saber when you talk to him. My boats hardly ever see water in the cockpits that's why the carpet was put down over them and the drain covers not put back on. You can see where I glassed over the ski locker and if I thought the drain holes would have created a problem it would have been addressed. That floor has lasted 22 years like it is and I highly doubt it would need replacing in a year....especially since it looks like it's going to be a trailer queen with you...hahaha Get that thing in the water...I don't know who's slower you or Scotty
Old 09-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts

Oh and as far as price....less then half the price of a new hull? You'll have less then 1/3 of a new hull in it even with the glasswork you paid to have done. That price Doug quoted you in 1990 on a new hull has gone up a little
Old 09-07-2010, 01:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jdub
Those two holes in the floor by the back seat are the floor drains. Why the balsa was left raw... you will have to take that up with Doug at Saber when you talk to him. My boats hardly ever see water in the cockpits that's why the carpet was put down over them and the drain covers not put back on. You can see where I glassed over the ski locker and if I thought the drain holes would have created a problem it would have been addressed. That floor has lasted 22 years like it is and I highly doubt it would need replacing in a year....especially since it looks like it's going to be a trailer queen with you...hahaha Get that thing in the water...I don't know who's slower you or Scotty
with the drains in place it would seal the core when you left it out it only needs a lil bit of wetted carpet once , the rug seals the water on it. no big deal glad I caught it, wet balsa is like a sponge I will only need to cut the holes 2'' bigger to get to the dry balsa seal with glass and then fill it in with new balsa with sealed edges .thats the trouble with carpets, that is I plan on making it a nonskid floor with a lift out rug.price wise new hulls were 30,000 to 55,000 that I looked at from 28ft to 31ft all 8ft beams one with complete cabin for 40,000. so its about half. if I order a complete boat rigged with a konrad and 800hp motor well your looking at 150,000 with them doing everything. but its taking longer but its a rerig not a motor swap everything needs a place big cooler, strainers ,gimbal, drive, its a lot of stuff that needs a spot it will be cool when done and cool out haha. this thing is going in the water soon jon I promise , hey good think Ididn't put the 509 in it I would not of found the leak unless the carb got gummed up but then it woukd look like bad gas. it will get there shooting for a answer on bladder or tank by thurs. hey I just read about DON last night that sucks man well be safe I'll get pics posted of motor and drive as stuff goes in oh thinking about saddle tanks to. art
Old 09-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Brotherhood #1
Gold Member

Received 111 Likes on 84 Posts

Fuel cell and Tractor headers get that in the water. I was donw at Knot's saterday with a 6'er or Corona. Where were you??? need to get banggin on the boat. Although so do I.
-Mike
Old 10-02-2010, 07:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sick Stinger
Fuel cell and Tractor headers get that in the water. I was donw at Knot's saterday with a 6'er or Corona. Where were you??? need to get banggin on the boat. Although so do I.
-Mike
yeah I should of bought those trac headers with the mods on the engine I could of just used them they were 6'' not 5'' like I have now. but got them cut out so just waiting for new tank old will be out this week and motor with be all pluged so when it goes in it will be throttle linkage design /oil/water and go. I wish I new about that leak earlier. did gerry tell you glass guy sucked that AL gave me azz tells me he needs 70 bucks to look at it and said about 400. shows up wants us to do all the dirty work he wants a 1000 to glass one side on 1200 to do other couldn't figure out how to raise my hatch or glass the scoop in right. gerry asks about a sm fix oh a 1000. I said thanks theres 70 bucks SEE YAH. I am all see set with AL and his buddies. so I got a free lookies coming from my old marine who knows glass and paint but he ia busy he did a whole 39footer that a car guy phucked up they relayed glass new stingers cause the old ones stopped in the cabin instead of running full length and then did a reverse flame job that would make you go wow. some guys can only paint what someone designs for them and then theres guys like Larry that takes a blank hull makes it perfect. at this point if I rip it out I just might glass it in and save 400 bucks. for for paint its either gerrys guy or Larry in the spring to add silver to it and fix the scratches in the white, and red design. so sticking with balsa may use kevelar for tabing if I have to put new tank in 1st. its 3'' narrower 4 longer 6'' taller so I got 98 gals instead of 90 then once its running I will cut out two area's for sitting down that I drew up so when sitting legs will be straight out hitting a 40 degree pad plus a new floor or nonskid with pull out rug thinking saber swords crossing with a skull or pirate in it. plus fades in the rug to promote my costly cockpit rugs I plan to sell with my custom rug line we have. theres no way to have a fade made in the rugs out there now there just cut up glued pieces not made from hand. so shooting for tank to be done by week from monday the lastest. Imissed week since aug 1st I missed5 weeks total of working on this. pics coming sorry. ps mike fuel cells last 4 yrs on avg and cost 3 times what a tank cost so that was bad plus the pulleys were still to close. now if I can get dean to send me my motor paint code I have a scratch here and there drives me nuts asked for it since july. PS just want to add mike thanks for trying to help though it didn't work out but thanks anyways buddy.

Last edited by AIR TIME; 10-03-2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: wanted to thank mike
Old 10-03-2010, 12:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gotta watch those car guys... Don't worry those same car guys that suck on boats also suck on car stuff as well, therefore seriously limiting my free time..haha.. Glad to hear you are moving along..

Old 10-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by littledcsrodshop
Gotta watch those car guys... Don't worry those same car guys that suck on boats also suck on car stuff as well, therefore seriously limiting my free time..haha.. Glad to hear you are moving along..

yeah even though I am not using a cane much now, I can't tell you how frustrating it is to move around with a phucked up knee replacement. that I would have gotten worked again if I new the motor was not going to be ready until july this yr but all winter it was next month so now its going to rain next 3 days my wife I HAVE KEEP HAPPY ON WEEKENDS NOW, so its during the week I can work so hope its done in the next month then its surgery on the knee and once off the crutches Ineed a shoulder replacement now doc was pissed I didn't go in during the spring when he told me from the latest mri its severed all the way threw and if not replaced at least recon on it cause I said if the replace works like my knee forgetabout it. geerys a great help but pissed at me for over engineering every thing we go over, the tank design was a changed for a week and then took 2 weeks to get a Co I liked, motor mounts 3 weeks and so on. plus I am on pain meds still cause having lots of pain in both legs ,shoulders back that with heavy drugs it only soften the pain and if I try to kill the pain I pass out. so guess I should of done the shoulder and at least one knee over last winter and the boat would be done. cause now I have stop the OCs over the summer and take 1/2 of my percs unless a day like to day woke up at 3am tryed ice everywhere and had to double up on the pills. its like last 5 yrs there finding more places that I have arthritis even the bottom of my feet I wear cushions in all my shoes hahaha. its crazy thats why I need to design a place for legs I can't stand up for long I need to sit. I talked to ppi about mods on the bolsters from the boat or using the red ones that are custom that I bought for the baja but only used for a few hours. the ones in the boat they were wellcraft which are short but would like to make them taller in the back and sides seat area my red ones would need a little taller on sides and add silver to them. but thats after winter on that back seat needs adjustment cause it falls off if you step on it, I think the backrest needs to come up a 1'' so it slides into it better Iwant to bring red into the cockpit and silver outside and may get rid of the black bottom the red is come threw in spots from coming on and off trailer. Igot red bezels for gauges that are on a angle so when sitting they will be better. so pics I will post later on the week since its going to rain next 3 days. been doing my daughters bedroom over with crown molding paint wallpaper chocking I don't like gaps in molding I worked for 30 yrs on famous and rich peoples houses and Companies, and yachts which I will get back into having a web site built now so it will be all hand made rugs for these places homes, companies, yachts, planes and performance boats but for our boats I can't do it cheap cause there hand made so maybe a theme boat or ol/skater. but I looked at guys who bought 500 rugs with zip on them and after the 1st season they start to look like chit. so to have a one last 5yrs with what ever design you can think of might be worth more. I got to think of a design for mine so its done this winter they take about 4 to 8 weeks to make house rugs are 8 to 12 weeks there bigger. well got to run lil shop hows yours coming
Old 10-16-2010, 03:08 PM
Registered

WORKING ON PICS, but took the motor out this week and finished the exhaust cut outs. Ijust hope the headers and tails were together the right way. there a different set up than cmi or the others. so I need to make a call monday. new tank gets picked up tuesday it looks. hope to have it in by the weekend, so we can put the motor back in and finish the short list. then test this boat. like I said I got some pics just got them out of that camera [zoolander style]next few days I'll post them. wish it was last year this time when I got the boat. I would of had a great summer. when we do go out I'll where shorts and no tee for the pics to see how long it takes me to turn blue. I have been in a outerlimits 37 at 27 degrees doing a 100, but we had gear on and our race helmets so it was like riding a sled.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.