Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Transportation
Best tires these days for Duramax? >

Best tires these days for Duramax?

Notices

Best tires these days for Duramax?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:24 PM
Performance Boat Center
VIP Member

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Been down this path...
What truck?
I have a '04 2500HD D max.
The truck is turned up a bit, and I drive it for real.. I'm not an old man...

I have used BFG AT on many trucks with good results... The only issue is tread life... But like I said... I drive it...
I tried the Michelin LTX AT2.... The truck would not stay in it;s lane running down the highway... And leaving a light...You could look in the rearview and see the rubber on the road.
I tried messing with tire pressures for a week...
Then back to Tire Kingdom to put their Ride Guarantee into effect...
I switched back to the BFGs... and the difference was as dramatic as a light switch!!!

I burnt that set out, now I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on the truck.. I think they are just as good as the BFGs, and wearing the same... But cheaper to buy...
Attached Thumbnails Best tires these days for Duramax?-dsc00974.jpg   Best tires these days for Duramax?-dsc00975.jpg   Best tires these days for Duramax?-dsc00990.jpg  

954-809-8739
Wright Performance, MTI, Cigarette, Sunsation
Old 12-01-2011, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Michelins are prob the best. Ive been running Yoko Geolanders for my last 2 sets, and get 65+K out of them. Im not easy on them, and they hold up extremely well off road and at the deer lease. 285/75/16 You can usually get them at NTB discounted.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by OldSchool
What are sipes?
the sipe on a tire is what gives you traction,the more sipes their are on a tire the better the traction is,the firestones have something like 1000 biting edges per tire..they are great in the snow!

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tireSiping.dos
Old 12-02-2011, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tim G.
Been down this path...
What truck?
I have a '04 2500HD D max.
The truck is turned up a bit, and I drive it for real.. I'm not an old man...

I have used BFG AT on many trucks with good results... The only issue is tread life... But like I said... I drive it...
I tried the Michelin LTX AT2.... The truck would not stay in it;s lane running down the highway... And leaving a light...You could look in the rearview and see the rubber on the road.
I tried messing with tire pressures for a week...
Then back to Tire Kingdom to put their Ride Guarantee into effect...
I switched back to the BFGs... and the difference was as dramatic as a light switch!!!

I burnt that set out, now I have Nitto Terra Grapplers on the truck.. I think they are just as good as the BFGs, and wearing the same... But cheaper to buy...
Truck is an 05 Crew Cab, I run a tuner but don't drive it much anymore except to tow and when I actually need a truck. Price of diesel makes it an impractical daily driver. I like the BFG's but I have less than 20K on my current set and they are prob 80% gone.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hotjava66
Truck is an 05 Crew Cab, I run a tuner but don't drive it much anymore except to tow and when I actually need a truck. Price of diesel makes it an impractical daily driver. I like the BFG's but I have less than 20K on my current set and they are prob 80% gone.
I agree on BFG tread life. Next set of tires im buying will mostlikely be Nitto Terra grapplers
Old 12-02-2011, 07:16 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristianGott
I looked at good years with the silent armor, but there's a design flaw with the sidewalls (i think, but you can research it) toyo makes an e-class tire with a great tread design, and a deep cut, but not too aggressive.
The absolute best bet for your money are Hankook dynapro atm's. (if you can find them) they have the deepest tread, great cut, are not noisy at all on the hi-way, and they were rated #1 by diesel power mag...i've had them on my f250 for 10,000 miles (with a lot of towing) and they still look brand new. truck handles great, and gets fair mileage...
There has been complaints with the side walls being sloppy and getting sway. I towed my 29 fountain that weighs about 10k loaded and didnt notice it all and friend tows a 5k boat and didnt notice it all either. Either way the tires had a protection plan so I wasnt worried.

Either way I would never put anything less than a load range E on a 3/4 ton truck
Old 12-02-2011, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

I could only get 22K miles out of BFG AT TA KO's on my DMax. Went to Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos. Great tire. A buddy with a similar truck went with Toyo Open Country AT's and loved those.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered

I have the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 05 and dont have any complaints about them. Only have about 7k miles on them, so they still look brand new.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

i have a 04 duramax also. tuner exhaust i plow and tow heavy loads all year long. i run cooper discoverer tires. used to be an ATR now a AT3. i get 50-60k out of them. they can be bought for 800-900 a set. i run a 315/75/16 in a D rating. better ride for sure! i put them on my customers trucks and everyone loves them. they wear like iron and are quiet going down the road.
Attached Thumbnails Best tires these days for Duramax?-0119111730.jpg  
Old 12-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Joe
Platinum Member

i have a 04 duramax also. tuner exhaust i plow and tow heavy loads all year long. i run cooper discoverer tires. used to be an ATR now a AT3. i get 50-60k out of them. they can be bought for 800-900 a set. i run a 315/75/16 in a D rating. better ride for sure! i put them on my customers trucks and everyone loves them. they wear like iron and are quiet going down the road.
Bullet, do you have a lift kit or leveling kit or have to cut anything on your truck to run the 315/75/16.....I'm due for new tires, and I'm trying to decide what to run on stock wheels with a leveling kit, i have 265/75/16 mich ltx i got over 100k out of this set.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.