Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Active Thunder
28 AT vs 28 Pantera vs 28 Velocity >

28 AT vs 28 Pantera vs 28 Velocity

Notices

28 AT vs 28 Pantera vs 28 Velocity

Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really would be a great set-up...twin 300x's should run well into the 70's and easy to maintain.....now we just need a guinea pig...
Old 10-23-2007, 09:42 AM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by spilman
That really would be a great set-up...twin 300x's should run well into the 70's and easy to maintain.....now we just need a guinea pig...
Hey Rich.......there ya go!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spilman
That is one thing I forget to mention about this boat..I have gotten so used to it. You can turn as sharp as you want, but HANG ON!!.. or you will eject passengers; this thing is on rails! I have never experienced a feeling like that...the strakes on on Active Thunder are unlike any I have seen; very sharp.

Only problem......Pat said he would never make another 28 twin & I believe ther are only 2 in existence; and we ain't sellin!
Why will they not make them with twins anymore??
Old 10-23-2007, 12:14 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

It cost more than a single 525EFI and the performance is less. I think Pat's comment about not building another twin is around it making monetary and performance sense to the owner and the market. He doesn’t see why someone would want to pay more money to go slower. Since AT is a custom boat builder, I would imagine Pat would build you anything you want as long as you knew what you were getting into and it would hurt anyone.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Registered

Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

Thats odd. I for one would pay more to go slower.

Reasons:
1) twin 350's should last a lot longer and have shorter rebuild time than the 525.
2) Outdrives will last longer
3) maneuvering is better with twins
4) Sbc's to replace and fix should be a lot less cheaper. Say I blow an engine - I'm only out what $6,000. Say I blow a 525 - I'm out what $25,000. I would much rather have two engines that will last longer, are more reliable, and cheaper to replace.
5) With two engines you have one to get you home.
6) Better acceleration and turning

I think that the fact that most 28AT are singles poses a weak point in the debate of 28AT, pentera, velocity. I've seen lots of 28 pantera's with twin big blocks and they all seem to run well with no adjustments needed. I've been in a 28 pantera with twin big blocks and it rides good. From what I've read here on OSO about the 28AT with twins - they require a lot of adjustments to run right. I've never been on a 28AT, but from the pics - I doubt it is even possible to fit twin big blocks without modifications. The hatch raises up the back seat just to work on it. The bilge in the 28 pantera is just as big as most 35+ boats and has no problem taking on a pair of big blocks with room to spare.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
But we are waiting for someone to order one with twin Mercury Racing 250XS or 300 Verado outboards.
Know anybody that wants to buy a loaded Grady White 265 express at a good deal ???
Old 10-23-2007, 01:11 PM
Registered

Default Never been a fan of under 30ft with twins

Always felt twice the expense and twice the possible headaches. You have 2 engines how can that be cheaper to run than one. When speed is the same with 1 or 2 I would choose one engine.then again when is boating cheap, just pick the way you want to waste more money...just my 2 cents
Old 10-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Like I said above, Pat will probably build you anything you want if you want to pony up the money. The funny thing is once you do what you mentioned above you could build a 33 with 496HO's for just a few bucks more. So, would you rather have a 28 that runs 72mph or a 33 that will run 85mph? Maintenance on 496HO’s are roughly the same.

"I think that the fact that most 28AT are singles poses a weak point in the debate of 28AT, Pantera, velocity. I've seen lots of 28 Pantera's with twin big blocks and they all seem to run well with no adjustments needed." With all do respect, if you never been in a 28 AT, you can't make that statement. I have seen the 36 Pantera, and been in all makes and models of the Velocity/Thoroughbred. As my Dad always told me, “Clark you get what you pay for”.

Last edited by crb76; 10-23-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:22 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Thats odd. I for one would pay more to go slower.

Reasons:
1) twin 350's should last a lot longer and have shorter rebuild time than the 525.
2) Outdrives will last longer
3) maneuvering is better with twins
4) Sbc's to replace and fix should be a lot less cheaper. Say I blow an engine - I'm only out what $6,000. Say I blow a 525 - I'm out what $25,000. I would much rather have two engines that will last longer, are more reliable, and cheaper to replace.
5) With two engines you have one to get you home.
6) Better acceleration and turning

I think that the fact that most 28AT are singles poses a weak point in the debate of 28AT, pentera, velocity. I've seen lots of 28 pantera's with twin big blocks and they all seem to run well with no adjustments needed. I've been in a 28 pantera with twin big blocks and it rides good. From what I've read here on OSO about the 28AT with twins - they require a lot of adjustments to run right. I've never been on a 28AT, but from the pics - I doubt it is even possible to fit twin big blocks without modifications. The hatch raises up the back seat just to work on it. The bilge in the 28 pantera is just as big as most 35+ boats and has no problem taking on a pair of big blocks with room to spare.
You are not shopping for new boats are your TP?

With the way materials cost right now, its not a cost effective product for the market. There is not a huge price difference between 6.2s and 8.1s. Then you add in a transom assembly, rigging, gauges, controls, and an outdrive, all double what you are spending for a single engine; and you price yourself out of the market for the size boat you are trying to build. My neighbor bought got a smokin' deal on a leftover 33' Baja Outlaw w/ 496HOs this spring for what a new 28' Active Thunder with a single 525EFIs would have cost.
Did he make the right move? Yes, he did. He's still my neighbor, and we are still friends.

In the days when a single BBC from Mercury was pushing 310-415HP max, before you got into then exotic Mercury Racing power; a twin engine 28' boat made sense. Now, since much of the market is listing Blue power as standard (as is how the 28' Active Thunder base model is configured with a 525EFI) ranging from HP starting at 530ish HP and achieving speeds into the mid-70s; the market does not support these twin engine 28-29' boats much anymore. Sonic, Fountain, Baja, and others dropped their boats in this range. About the only thing out there close to this range is the 292 Formula (really a 28' boat and SBC only) and 30' Baja (replaced the 29; twins only) for the new market; and I don't think they sell many of either (compared to the rest of their respective lines). Activator, Superboat, Sunsation, and others build/built 30+ footers with singles. Cigarette, Outerlimits, and Nor-Tech don't even mess with this segment. Ask Jo and Pepe' how many new twin engine BBC 28' Panteras they have built and sold in the past 4 years. You can ask Tim G. of CRT about his former 28' Twin BBC Pantera. He loved the boat for several years, but he will also tell you it was very ass end heavy when flying. Most people in the 28-33' boat market are not rolling in cash. This part of the new/nearly new market segment is floundering as many folks are opting to stay in their current boat until discretionary income becomes a little more discretionary.

Last edited by Sydwayz; 10-23-2007 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Sydwayz;2314656]You are not shopping for new boats are your TP?

With the way materials cost right now, its not a cost effective product for the market.

Your spot on with that market assessment Brian. Pat told me that he gets basically no calls for the 28 anymore. Most of calls (90%+) are for the 37 and the new 43. It was the opposite in 2001.

The finance guys who lend on high-performance boats say that the sub 150K market is dead, non existent. The 150-250K market is slow, and the 250K + is still strong.

Quick Reply: 28 AT vs 28 Pantera vs 28 Velocity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.