28 AT vs 28 Pantera vs 28 Velocity >

28 AT vs 28 Pantera vs 28 Velocity

Notices

28 AT vs 28 Pantera vs 28 Velocity

Old 10-23-2007, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 284 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You are not shopping for new boats are your TP?

With the way materials cost right now, its not a cost effective product for the market. There is not a huge price difference between 6.2s and 8.1s. Then you add in a transom assembly, rigging, gauges, controls, and an outdrive, all double what you are spending for a single engine; and you price yourself out of the market for the size boat you are trying to build. My neighbor bought got a smokin' deal on a leftover 33' Baja Outlaw w/ 496HOs this spring for what a new 28' Active Thunder with a single 525EFIs would have cost.
Did he make the right move? Yes, he did. He's still my neighbor, and we are still friends.

In the days when a single BBC from Mercury was pushing 310-415HP max, before you got into then exotic Mercury Racing power; a twin engine 28' boat made sense. Now, since much of the market is listing Blue power as standard (as is how the 28' Active Thunder base model is configured with a 525EFI) ranging from HP starting at 530ish HP and achieving speeds into the mid-70s; the market does not support these twin engine 28-29' boats much anymore. Sonic, Fountain, Baja, and others dropped their boats in this range. About the only thing out there close to this range is the 292 Formula (really a 28' boat and SBC only) and 30' Baja (replaced the 29; twins only) for the new market; and I don't think they sell many of either (compared to the rest of their respective lines). Activator, Superboat, Sunsation, and others build/built 30+ footers with singles. Cigarette, Outerlimits, and Nor-Tech don't even mess with this segment. Ask Jo and Pepe' how many new twin engine BBC 28' Panteras they have built and sold in the past 4 years. You can ask Tim G. of CRT about his former 28' Twin BBC Pantera. He loved the boat for several years, but he will also tell you it was very ass end heavy when flying. Most people in the 28-33' boat market are not rolling in cash. This part of the new/nearly new market segment is floundering as many folks are opting to stay in their current boat until discretionary income becomes a little more discretionary.
No - I am not shopping for a new boat. I agree with you - If price was no matter - I would get a 28 with twin small blocks. If I was price shopping - I would get a 28 single. From a cost standpoint it does not make sense to go with twins if your shopping new. You might as well go with a bigger boat.

From a 28 pantera vs 28 AT standpoint - if you want a 28 with twins - pantera is the best choice. I have ridden in a 28 pantera with twins and yes it is a little azz heavy as are all 28 boats with twins, but it didn't bother me - neither did riding "on" the boat as some of you might say.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with what you guys are saying when shopping for new. But I don't buy new. And 70-75mph isn't going to cut it in a big 28 for MY type of boating and I don't wany a big power single. So, twin stock power BBC is a good option FOR ME. But we all have different wants/needs.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:59 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by spilman
Only problem......Pat said he would never make another 28 twin & I believe ther are only 2 in existence; and we ain't sellin!
Wild used to own one of them about 5 boats ago. He traded it in on the 32 he sold a few months ago.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy $h1T!! Alot of BS, but that's just my opinion.
First: My boat did have some adjustments to make it ride better; but it is fair to say that it rode better than any other 28, twin or single engine before the mods. Now it is just Fantastic!
Second: Pat said, and I quote" we had to hire a bunch of Asians to do the rigging in that boat of yours"; just too tight for twins and convenience. But Fountain & several other sdo it and their beam is 8', or less. Just a matter of choice.
Third: A true offshore performance boat has to have TWO engines, period.
Fourth: I do think there is a fair amount of interest in the 28AT....and most people would love to have a twin, there just aren't any!
Lastly: If someone is going to consider buying a certain boat, why wouldn't they sea-test it? Ride in a twin engine 28 AT before you state what you can't substantiate with experience.
That's All, for now.
Oh yeah....I'm Not Selling!!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 07:52 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

So what happened with the 28 arneson boat?
Old 10-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tblrklakemo
So what happened with the 28 arneson boat?
I just brought that thread back up. ( something new) //// Chris what you need now is a pair of NASCAR small blocks somewhere around 800hp each and see what that puppy can really do, and don't sell it untill I can can buy it
Old 10-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Registered

Wink NASCAR, yeah that works

Originally Posted by cosmic12
I just brought that thread back up. ( something new) //// Chris what you need now is a pair of NASCAR small blocks somewhere around 800hp each and see what that puppy can really do, and don't sell it untill I can can buy it
Don't think I haven't dreamed about that 1000 times! I was gonna Procharge, then after what I've heard about superchargers, and financial restraints, I decided to just leave it alone and enjoy the reliability. I just turn the keys; every time, never fails. These motors are tight, (I did a leak-down test when I installed the Stainless Marine exhaust), very efficient, and should last for hundreds more hrs before they need Anything.
So, unless I hit the Powerball I'll just leave her alone, change the fluids and run WOT to keep up. That's the good thing, I can run in 2-3's @ 65mph w/o too much worry. With the keel plane it's just about a 30' & rides real high & level. Just look @ the Jammin on the James dvd if you get a chance; we're @ 1hr 11min into it, just a short 45 seconds, but decent viewing.
If you are still interested in a few seasons, we can talk about a deal.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:43 PM
Registered

:d
Old 10-24-2007, 07:49 AM
Registered

Active Thunder Rocks Period........:d
Old 10-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Registered

Default Twins

I would love to ride in a 28 with twins, I might go against opinion here but when I run in chop the hull does awsome. Some people say big and heavy, I have to agree with big but the 28 is greaty in chop I get out of the water very easy. Maybe a twin 28 would have a more secure ride than my single and be more stable. Back to pantera feels and rides bigger than it looks but it is a$$ heavy....

Quick Reply: 28 AT vs 28 Pantera vs 28 Velocity

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.